Wrexham flew their team to 16 NL games last season!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66287294

I do care about environmental matters, perhaps there should be a EFL directive to prevent excessive use of flying?

It would be nice to hear if @Dry Nelson Ray would be willing to consider a change in travel policy. London based teams in the NL would regularly travel up 1st class by train from St Pancras to Nottingham

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Surprised 1

i think it is something that could be re-considered, i was not aware that a lot of premier league teams did it. on my travels i have seen many club coaches go past me, dont see the point in flying when you can go in a coach. i dont think a train is very viable for a professional team personally.

• Like 6

I think it's something the FA should discuss with the Premier League and Football League, I wasn't aware clubs flew to games frequently. I know Newcastle did to Southampton, but I wasn't sure it was a regular thing.

Could it be a means to reduce hotel costs? I know some teams often book in for a stay the night before they play a team.

It's worth looking into as we all need to do our part in preserving the planet and preventing major climate changes.

• Like 5

Three to four might have been justified due to the distance, but that is beyond luxury. Hopefully, Wrexham will change their stance on this. I don’t think Notts fans have to get a bee in their bonnet on social media about it.

• Like 6

It’s a private jet, isn’t it? Does anyone know for sure what the fuel emissions are? The tabloids are digging deep into this. Yes, it’s excessive, but without all the facts, I can’t really comment. I have seen Notts fans on Twitter talking about it, which makes me laugh because I wonder how eco-friendly they are. Hopefully, the plane is low in carbon and uses sustainable aviation fuels. If this is the case, fair play. If not, maybe it should.

• Like 4

It’s insane the number of flights they took. I know there are some fixtures where it might be better to do this, but I do agree that the club should reduce it. Having a quick flight cuts down on the bonding you get from travelling closely on a coach. I don’t expect them to get the train, not at all.

• Like 2

I dont think getting a train is a good idea for professional teams, but i most of the time plane wouldn't make sense. For longer trips by coach it might make sense to travel by plane because it would otherwise be a very long journey and stay if a hotel was also needed. For closer ones it doesn't make sense though... We don't know the full story though. 

• Like 3

I believe that more people are complaining because Wrexham seems to be spending excessively and acting like a large club. I read a comment from Paul Mullin about the relationship between the owners and himself. He mentioned the surreal feeling of travelling on a plane to games and how it felt different. I do think that Wrexham should cut back on their spending, but if the plane is eco-friendly, then I see no harm in it.

• Like 2

Teams chartering flights to away games has become a regular occurrence and really needs to be stamped out. In a country as small as ours there's no justification for it, especially as the larger clubs can afford to put the team in a hotel overnight. Wrexham have raised eyebrows because of their status, but this is pretty much the norm higher up the leagues. 

It doesn't seem to be a thing in Germany at all, I've seen several team buses on the motorway here. And the distances covered are much greater too.

• Like 2

@Piethagoram It's their train, isn't it?

I read that Wrexham has an agreement with an airline, but maybe it's worth exploring the private train option. In the past, it was Yeovil who frequently relied on public trains when they were in the Championship. However, I distinctly remember reading a story about two of their players being subjected to an attack.

On 28/07/2023 at 11:06, Piethagoram said:

It would be nice to hear if @Dry Nelson Ray would be willing to consider a change in travel policy. London based teams in the NL would regularly travel up 1st class by train from St Pancras to Nottingham

Guilty as charged! What you mentioned is definitely something to digest and consider. I mean, who doesn’t care about the planet, right? The train option is definitely worth considering. And off the record, we’re looking into an environmentally friendly coach too. It’s something we’ll be addressing this season for sure. So, let’s save the planet one ride at a time! 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Many thanks for the positive response @Dry Nelson Ray

"And off the record, we’re looking into an environmentally friendly coach too. "

So is it this then:

https://www.tripadvisor.in/AttractionProductReview-g274707-d14145562-Prague_1_5_Hour_Beer_Bike_with_Unlimited_Czech_Beer-Prague_Bohemia.html

🤔😉🙃

I like that idea  @Piethagoram, if I could choose the drinks. What do you think @Fan of Big Tone,  I think  @Dry Nelson Ray would rather have gin ,though.:rollonfloorlaughing:

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

Supporter+
1 hour ago, super_ram said:

I like that idea  @Piethagoram, if I could choose the drinks. What do you think @Fan of Big Tone,  I think  @Dry Nelson Ray would rather have gin ,though.:rollonfloorlaughing:

I like the idea of drinking beer but not so much the pedalling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think if it was another team like those in the premier league, there wouldnt even be a news story but because of Wrexham's owners its always going to get more news stories than other clubs in league two or the national league at the time.

• Love 1

• 5 months later...

The only thing I would say about this Wrexham story is that again, it is symptomatic about the current problem in our domestic football, the haves' and the have nots'

That's why there should be a Cap on turnover for each of the four top tier Leagues.

• Like 1