Ian Burchnall moves to Wolves as 1st team coach

Piethagoram

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

hes becoming quite the mercenary of football. little loyality and i am surprised wolves want someone who can easy jumpship so easily. some might think i am being harsh, whatever, i think i could be much harsher on him. personally, i think he smells an opportunity to become a manager of a first team in england again.

wolves is not an upgrade over anderlecht, i hope he did not drag his family to belgium with him, because this would be another negative.

on the potisives, this is classy from his former employer, where he spent six months. 🤯

https://www.rsca.be/en/Ian_Burchnall

• Like 16

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Yes I was wondering about his family @liampie I bet they are getting a bit fed up with being uprooted every five minutes as another job comes up.

• Like 11

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,896
  • Days Won:  5

He’s getting silly now. How long will he last at Wolves?

It would make sense if he was struggling to adapt to Belgian football, but with him doing that interview where he spoke highly of his last job, it makes you wonder why he’s gone to the Premier League and to a team like Wolves?

• Like 12

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,779
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Maybe it's a problem with obtaining work / family visas, residency permits, now the UK are 3rd country status with the EU?

• Like 8

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Well, it will give him the chance to refine his managerial skills as a coach and when the time is right - he might be able to move back into management.

I do hope he can settle with Wolves and manage to remain there for a few seasons. It would allow him to get his coaching career back on track if he could. Things may be out of his hands here which prompted the move. It might be that Wolves wanted him or, he applied for the position. I don't know, I'm not really bothered to look into this further. Ian Burchnall is a complete waste of time as far as I am concerned.

The feeling I have about him, isn't one I wished to have, and I don't think much of hum. As I have said before, he used a small minority of fans to complain about Notts fans as a whole, with the sole intention of using it to explain why he was running off to Forest Green Rovers. Rather than leaving acknowledging the support he was given and the disloyalty he showed towards something he spent the most part of the season declaring as a long term project. 🐍 

• Like 13

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

As for Ian Burchnall at Wolves, I would assume it was due to his paperwork. He’s quite lucky that he’s been snapped up and hasn’t found himself out of employment for long.

• Like 12

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

He needs to commit as much as possible to Wolves; the FRG decision seems to be holding him back. It’s strange that he thought joining a Belgian team, as good as Anderlecht are, would be a good idea. In that interview he did where he talked about his career, he never mentioned us; the interviewer brought it up, and Ian skimmed over us. He said he still had a desire to manage; the only way it will work for him is if he starts putting in the work and effort, along with making smarter choices.

• Like 12

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  285
  • Days Won:  0

Ian Burchnall should fare better within the English game. It was strange seeing him pitch-side with Anderlecht in some of their televised games.

• Like 10

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,516
  • Days Won:  9

Ian Burchnall’s move to Wolves is sure to bring him good fortune. Should any of their fans inquire about his wide-eyed expression, he will be able to recount the tale of the boy who cried wolf.

• Like 7

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  580
  • Days Won:  2

Ian Burchnall at Wolves? He either has some good contacts or he’s incredibly lucky to bounce from job to job. Even managers and players with heaps of contacts sometimes struggle. He just strolls from pillar to post.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  905
  • Days Won:  3

I do hope that Ian Burchnall makes the most of his move to Wolves, it’ll be a grand place for him to learn. I also hope he doesn’t rush into management too soon. I have a feeling it might not pan out well.

• Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  628
  • Days Won:  1

On 06/09/2023 at 23:56, theMagpies said:

Ian Burchnall should fare better within the English game. It was strange seeing him pitch-side with Anderlecht in some of their televised games.

Moving to Wolves could be a beneficial opportunity for him to grow as a player and build relationships that might be useful for him in the future if he wants to pursue a career in management. I sometimes think about whether he feels any regret about leaving Notts. Personally, I'm glad he did because I believe if he had stayed, our team would still be in League Two now.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  373

Wishing him all the best, Wolves can be a challenging club to stay at, even as a coach. They’ve undergone numerous staff changes, particularly when managers are dismissed.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  279

It is highly probable that Anderlecht did not obtain his approval to remain in the country. Nonetheless, I perceive them in a similar light to Notts and Wolves in relation to FGR. If he does not contribute to their coaching efforts or if the current manager is dismissed, I envision him being clubless once more.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I extend my best wishes to Ian Burchnall as he embarks on his journey. Taking on a coaching role in the Premier League can be inherently more precarious compared to a managerial position in the Football League. The turnover of coaches in the top league can happen swiftly and unexpectedly. If I were in his position, I might have considered seeking an opportunity with a League One or Two club, with the hope of gradually progressing towards a managerial role.

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

Good luck to him, he will be better as a coach than a manager unless in lower leagues.

• Like 4

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

The Wolves should present a good opportunity for Ian Burchnall. I wish him luck with his move.

• Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

I'll always appreciate Ian. I was going through a horrible time in March and April of 2021. He was the manager of Notts then and the end to that season gave me something to smile about.

I needed the 2021-22 season so I could go to the football again. The season might not have ended how we wanted but he gave me a lot of good memories. I met him after the last home game against Alty and what a gent. Took time out to have a photo with us and have a laugh as well. Would happily take him out for a drink

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Days Won:  2

Forest Green did us a favour by recruiting Ian Burchnall. While it’s not worth lingering on, I do wish him the best at Wolves. His family must be hoping for a period of stability with no further relocations in the near future.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Some may not agree, but I believe Ian's time at Notts should be looked back on more favourably than the general consensus sees his time here.

He did get us to the playoffs in successive seasons and Notts were continuing to play attractive Football under his leadership.

Fortunes can easily change in Football, Grimsby scored an equaliser in injury time of the Playoff eliminator. Notts could easily have been in the semi instead of being eliminated. And Luke was a minute away from losing in the playoff semi final. That's football.

Ian was offered the job at Forest Green, it didn't work out too well for him, but he would have been crazy not to take the job which wss a step up for him. Luke did the same thing.

Now Ian has bounced back and is First Team Coach for Wolves in the Premier League, so he must be doing something well, that a Premier League Club would want him. And as of today he's still there.