Luton's losing streak

yelobeli

I'm probably not the only Notts fan who has a lot of love for Luton. The team we took down with us on our last day in the top flight, thanks to a goal from Rob Matthews, who went on to play for them when he left Notts.  Oh, what a night that was, getting back to London and meeting up with Coventry fans at the Head of Steam in Euston... I still don't know how I got back home.
They too went down to non-league and had never returned to the top flight until this season.
They've not exactly had the most excellent start to the season... This is a good read.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/21/fear-not-luton-theres-still-joy-to-be-found-in-a-losing-streak

Edited by yelobeli
  • Like 13

• yelobeli changed the title to Luton's losing streak

4 games in, Luton were always going to be facing an uphill battle, but they have many more games to focus on.

Just being in the Premier League alone is fantastic achievement for them.

I remember when John Hartson played for them, before he joined Arsenal. It's that fighting spirit Luton had, which they need to find for this season. I'm not sure if they will stay up, but I am hoping they can.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

i would like to see luton stay up but i dont think its likely, they will be enjoying it and they do seem to be giving it their all. i just hope they dont overspend but use this season as a means to keep them within a steady position to do a bournemouth in time.

rather than a blackpool.

• Like 8

I’m thrilled that Luton Town managed to secure a valuable point against Wolves. I hope they treat this point as a victory. It might seem odd, but this could be a turning point that motivates them to fight for more points. I really hope things improve for Luton.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I’m keeping a close eye on them; if they manage to stay afloat, it will be an achievement even more remarkable than their promotion. They’re in the midst of a real struggle, facing extremely challenging circumstances. If I were a Luton Town supporter, my hope would be for investment to develop the club. If they were to be relegated, bouncing back would be a formidable task in its own right. I extend my best wishes to them.

• Like 7

From BBC live feed

'The recruitment team have again unearthed an absolute gem' ......'published at 08:02

08:02

Ollie Kay, We Are Luton Town,

While the media and fans of the Premier League quibble about how much the promoted sides should be spending, Luton Town fans saw the first full run out of Chiedozie Ogbene, who achieved his first 90 minutes in a the shirt against Wolves, following on from his energetic cameo against Fulham.

Chieo, who became a history-maker by becoming the first Africa-born player to represent the Republic of Ireland national team, is the perfect example that sometimes good scouting can trump throwing money around willy-nilly.

The Hatters have always had a proclivity of doing astute business in the free agent market, although Ross Barkley has not yet been able to show his best form because of injury.

Looking back at some of the previous free transfers Luton have plucked from the football pyramid...

Jordan Clark, from Accrington, who scored the goal in the play-off final, Amari'i Bell who has been ever present since joining from Blackburn Rovers. And Tom Lockyer from Charlton Athletic, who has been an absolute warrior at the back for.

After his fine performance against Wolves, which included four created chances, 92% pass accuracy as well as tracking back and mucking in defensively, Chieo left the pitch to raucous applause from those at the Kenny.

It looks like the recruitment team at Luton Town have again unearthed an absolute gem without a huge initial transfer outlay, to the dismay of all the fans who observe Premier League football from their sofas around the globe.

• Like 5

It was heartening to see such an underdog achieve something truly remarkable. While I don’t actively follow their results and believe they will eventually be relegated, I hope they use this experience to build up their club. Despite being a London club, they are much smaller than one might expect.

• Like 3

I wish them success, but their journey is an arduous one, and I struggle to envision them overcoming it. Forest invested a significant amount of money to avoid relegation, a luxury that Luton cannot afford. By January, other clubs facing relegation may bolster their squads with reinforcements. It is truly remarkable what they have accomplished thus far.

• Like 2