• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,277
  • Days Won:  80

Game 10 - The U's (A)

Team: Colchester United

Date: 30/09/2023

Where: Colchester Community Stadium

colchester.png.f2c24986a402f56954d507951

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Our away form has seen steady improvement since the earlier games. However, Colchester may prove to be a challenging team for Notts to score against. I envision the game ending in a 1-1 draw, not due to a lack of good play or opportunities created by Notts, but because Colchester performed well on their home ground.

• Like 10

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

i know we said similar with forest green rovers, but colchester are a team in poor form and one that we ideally would win. obviously their position does not paint a full picture but it seems they struggle. it would be disappointing if we dont throw ourselves at them and try to secure a clean sheet, alongside a good performance. i dont see luke williams changing much.

our form should help going into the game.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Barring injuries I don’t see Williams changing much either, hopefully we can come away with maximum points again but if we get a draw I won’t be too disappointed, the trouble is Notts have set a very high bar and we expect them to win every match hopefully we can maintain our momentum.

• Like 10

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

If we can play with that threatening intensity where our attacks bombard and seem relentless, Colchester United will find it difficult to prevent us from scoring. I think they will hope that their own midfield can do enough to break things up. As defensively, that is their issue, and they are quite capable of doing well themselves.

But the reason they're not doing as well is simply down to them making too many defensive mistakes.

It should prove to be an interesting game, one where I would feel comfortable if we can manage to score early on within the first 25 minutes whilst ensuring we are tight and reliable at the back.

I don't think we will witness another goal thriller; one or two goals might be enough to secure the win.

Ultimately, we may be denied this by a very much improved Colchester United who hold us to a 1-1 draw. Provided they don't score more than us, it's fine. I know people won't want points to be dropped but in the grand scheme of things remaining unbeaten is more important than the winning streak we are on.

• Like 13

• Chris changed the title to Match Discussion: Game 10 - The U's (A)

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,897
  • Days Won:  5

I anticipate Colchester to provide a tough challenge. Luke Williams acknowledges that positions do not guarantee success, but I believe that if we thoroughly prepare and begin the match with determination, it should be an encouraging game for us. While I am unfamiliar with many of their players, my main desire is to witness a strong defensive performance from our team. If Colchester manages to create any scoring opportunities, our players must prioritise protecting Aidan Stone, our goalkeeper.

• Like 10

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

As for the upcoming match, Notts County needs to maintain their concentration and function effectively as a unit. If the opposition comes out swinging, we need to weather that storm and remain composed. Teams that successfully apply pressure often cause us to become somewhat disorganised in defence. The Salford match serves as a prime example of how we can defuse the intensity of games and confidently control the ball ourselves. Colchester will undoubtedly be determined not to lose on their home turf, so they’ll be battling for every point available.

• Like 8

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

We mustn't assume anything as we approach our upcoming matches. There is a possibility that we may encounter difficulties, and Colchester United could very well be one of those challenges. So far, Notts has displayed commendable game management, but I am fully aware that it won't be a straightforward task.

• Like 7

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,459
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

We’re living a dream at the moment with the results we’ve achieved, and it’s taken a lot of effort to get here. I hope Notts can dig deep and deliver a consistent performance against Colchester United. Joe Taylor, Samson Tovide, Noah Chilvers, and Connor Hall are all exceptional players. It’s unfortunate that they let Alan Judge go; it would have been lovely to see him. I understand he’s still training with them while he recovers from his injury. It would have been great to see him, as he was one of the first players I truly connected with at Notts. He and Neal Bishop always seemed like significant players for us.

I don’t believe they’ll be easy to beat; they have some height and enjoy counterattacking. Their defence is questionable so far, but they’re nonetheless quite capable.

• Like 9

• Content Count:  77

It’ll be fascinating to see if Notts can keep up their remarkable winning run. Everything has an end, but hopefully, the team’s momentum can push this a bit further. Colchester United is a respectable League Two team, but the outcome will depend on individual mistakes or outstanding performances. It wouldn’t shock me if the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

• Like 7

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Colchester are unpredictable. They drew with Mansfield at home and we know how good Mansfield are. They beat Gillingham away 3-0. Gillingham have only conceded 8 goals all season. It's definitely a banana skin. Notts have negotiated almost the obstacles put in front of them and I think we'll be OK here. I think Notts will win 2-1. 

• Like 7

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

All we can do is give our utmost effort, and I’m confident that we, the fans, will support the lads and cheer them on vociferously. It would be splendid if we could secure another 2-0 victory away from home, but I’m uncertain about how Colchester United will perform against Notts. I’ve watched a few of their highlights, and it seems they’ve been unfortunate to concede some goals, while others have been a complete disaster. However, when you’re up against a team that’s near the top of the league, it naturally motivates the opposition players. I don’t anticipate an easy or routine match; I foresee a challenging first half and an improved second.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

4 hours ago, Dripsey3 said:

Colchester are unpredictable. They drew with Mansfield at home and we know how good Mansfield are. They beat Gillingham away 3-0. Gillingham have only conceded 8 goals all season.

My thoughts entirely, they very nearly beat Mansfield too. Maybe they're a side that raise their game for the better opposition? We should hopefully have enough, but we can't afford to let our standards slip in this league.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  141

Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more. Given the current form of our opponents, we should definitely be aiming for a win. Our boys have demonstrated remarkable resilience in the past, and I’m hopeful they’ll maintain their winning streak. Applying pressure from the get-go and excelling in set-pieces could be our secret weapon. I’ll certainly be tuning into the live stream to cheer them on! Let’s hope for a great match.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  282
  • Days Won:  1

Powerful runs and decisive finishes are crucial when facing robust midfield teams. The ability to penetrate the defence with speed and precision can often be the difference between a win and a loss. A fast-paced game not only tests the physicality of the players but also their mental agility. It’s this combination of speed and strategy that can turn the tide in our favour. The anticipation for matchday is palpable, and the hope is that our team will rise to the occasion.

The prospect of Macaulay Langstaff finding the back of the net certainly adds an exciting dimension to the game. His scoring prowess could provide the impetus we need to secure a victory. However, it’s equally important to remember that Notts boasts a squad with goalscoring potential across the board. This depth and diversity in attacking options could prove pivotal in a tightly contested match. It’s this collective strength that could ultimately see us emerge victorious on matchday.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  581
  • Days Won:  2

I must say, our away form has been impressive lately. Despite the challenging team, I'm quite certain we will leave a mark at the Colchester Community Stadium. Let's carry the same spirit and momentum into the game!

• Like 6

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

3-1 to Colchester.

Noah Chilvers 10'
Jayden Fevrier 31'
Arthur Read 38'

Sam Austin 21'

It sounds like Colchester United are attacking very well, with us perhaps making it a bit too easy. Hopefully, Luke Williams will try to lift the players and demand more from them.

• Sad 4

as i said in the facebook group. i think the performance so far is a mix of things, colchester are doing well to keep us quiet and their attacks look very good. they are quick to get into scoring positions. we look like a side that is taking to heart whatever was said after forest green game.

kyle cameron is struggling, matt palmer looked like he needed to come off.

the things that usually work for us have not today but bostock is on. i think that will make a difference.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Notts have made a comeback in the second half, showing more energy. The introduction of John Bostock has significantly improved the game. Macaulay Langstaff scored an early goal, bringing us back into the match. Well done! We need one more goal to ease the tension in the game.

Forget that, we've let our fans down who came to watch us. We've given them another chance to score an open goal. It's really frustrating!

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,459
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

What's exasperating for me is that Colchester United appear to be just as poor in defence as we are, yet they aren't conceding goals like Notts. We're launching strong attacks, but we're not pausing to make the optimal decision when it comes to scoring. As I type this, Jodi Jones has just scored a spectacular goal. It's now 4-3 in our favour.

• Like 2

5-3, i just dont know what or why we are conceding these slopping goals.

their player was not even marked, nobody pressed and i feel for aidan stone because any keeper would struggle with this lack of protection. @Piethagoram mentioned his concerns about the defence and i think hes right. i would say we can be good defensively, but without another strong centre back we may be prone to nodding off like this.

• Like 2

Supporter+

It sounded like a great match for a neutral but Luke Williams will be fuming that we’ve conceded 5 goals. Unbelievable that we’ve scored 4 goals away and lost.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  382
  • Days Won:  8

14 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

It sounded like a great match for a neutral but Luke Williams will be fuming that we’ve conceded 5 goals. Unbelievable that we’ve scored 4 goals away and lost.

I don't know about him but I am

• Like 2

Supporter+

Let’s look on the bright side, we’re still top of the league!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Well that was eventful. Awful defensively, superb going forward. We move on to Tuesday. I bet it will be just as exciting!

• Like 3