Lost railways of Nottingham

Supporter+

I haven’t read all of that article because of the annoying pop up ads, they drive me mad. However I am old enough to remember when Beeching closed down stations it was a crying shame. I remember the high level station on London Road (or was it Arkwright Street) If memory serves me right me and my brother used to catch a train to Victoria Station and spend all day train spotting, I vividly remember seeing The Royal Scot at Victoria Station.

• Like 3

@Fan of Big Tone Piethagoram has shared many interesting pictures and stories about forgotten parts of Nottingham. I don't know of most, as they were before my time, but I find it interesting. I actually didn't know Nottingham had multiple train stations until a previous post some time ago.

To me, it makes Nottingham feel much smaller to only have one main station, especially in comparison to other cities.

That said, I only know one main station in Derby and Leicester - I am not sure if they have any others. Birmingham on the other hand has so many. It can be a bit overwhelming when you travel there for the first time.

Back on topic, I love reading and seeing old pictures of Nottingham!

• Like 4

Derby had Friargate on the Great Northern railway, which would have crossed on the Bennerley viaduct

I can just about remember Nottingham Arkwright street station from my childhood...  Nottingham Victoria and Leicester Central were on the Great Central line to London Marylebone. There was also Nottingham High Level and low level too...on London road

• Like 2

Supporter+

I love seeing old pictures of Nottingham too @Chris it brings back so many memories when you can remember them as they were. I’m a member of a couple of old Nottingham Facebook groups and the pictures are great.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Thanks @Piethagoram great pictures at the end of the article, that’s how I remember it and my memory of going to Victoria from there was correct as it did. It closed in 1967 I reckon it’d be about 1962 when I used to ride to Victoria station to train spot from the high level station, I’d be 10 years old my brother was 15, my mam used to make him take me everywhere. I can hear her now “look after your little brother”, it must have been a right pain in the backside for my brother David, sadly he’s no longer with us, I’d love to share these memories with him. 😪

• Like 2
  • Love 1

i like reading posts like this and seeing comments from people who remember it like it is the pictures. it gives me something, as i do also like seeing the pictures. nottingham has changed no end and i think we are lucky to have such a nice looking station in the city centre. i think it was ruined a bit with the roof when it last had work but the main building is gorgeous.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I missed the original post on this thread but found it fascinating.I struggle to remember back to when I first started working in Nottingham in 1963 and so much that was good has gone forever.Please continue with these memorable historical titbits.Thank you for posting @Piethagoram

• Like 3

I visited Victoria Station a few times with my Dad to do some train spotting.

It was a sin when they closed it because it was a much better line to the South and North.

My Dad said at the time that they would regret closing it,  plus other Stations & ripping up all those lines around the Country during the Beeching cuts, & I believe the powers that be do regret it, now that the roads are getting gridlocked.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

The wrong station was demolished, direct route to the south and the North, direct route to Mansfield and North Notts. Demolishing Victoria Station was an absolute sin.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1