Match Discussion: Game 19 - The Wombles (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

disappointing, we get back into the game and we give another penalty away. it seems very unnecessary, not sure if we can go and get a third. i think they will take the points. :( 

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  97
  • Days Won:  1

Disappointing loss today. Wimbledon performed much better than expected, especially in the first half. Arguably the best organized pressing defense we have played this season. They also successfully exploited our shaky defense - what a player they have in 21 year old Iranian international Al-Hamadi.

Let´s bounce back with 3 points against Crawley Town on Tuesday.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,957
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I assume the fourth goal was because we were chasing the game? I have just arrived at Whitby so I haven’t been listening to the radio commentary.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,992
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Really disappointed... At 2-2, thought we would go on and win. Ref missed a clear hand ball penalty appeal for us. Our defence no where near good enough

• Like 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  8

56 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

Really disappointed... At 2-2, thought we would go on and win. Ref missed a clear hand ball penalty appeal for us. Our defence no where near good enough. 

Pretty much sums it up

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

Well that ending was one to forget, I agree it was really disappointing considering we’d done so well to get back to 2-2. I mean it did sound like we pretty much gave Wimbledon all 4 goals. You can’t give away two pens and expect to win a game of football. Equally two defensive mix-ups in that game, we really did give them easy chances to score.

I’ll watch it back when it’s available on ifollow but given our largely dominant second half and how we fought back to 2-2 it’s gutting to then throw it away in the final minutes like that.

• Like 4

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I turned off my phone's FM radio at half-time. I felt very disappointed and frustrated by how poor we sounded. I decided to have a kip, woke up at 2-2, not long after they scored their third. I told @cheeky~k8, I won't listen to the games in the future as I feel like I bring bad luck. Next minute they scored the fourth from what sounded like our defence falling apart. I didn't sound like we were chasing the game.

It sounded like we just fell apart when it mattered the most.

Take it as a bad day in the office, but we need someone who really can take account of the defence and lead the back with a strong defensive mindset. I don't think pinning our hopes on Macari will be the answer to that, he seems more one for the future. I hate to single out players but it sounded like all the back three, including when Rawlinson came on defended rather blindly.

• Like 4

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  15

It was a disappointing match overall. Notts must improve their away game performance as we’re not earning enough points to keep up with the leaders from home games alone. Conceding two goals in the manner we did was frustrating. It was a relief to pull it back, and it seemed like we were on track to win. However, poor defending cost us the match, and the first half was repeated without any comeback. The two penalties were another source of frustration due to clumsy decisions to go for the ball at inopportune times.

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,371
  • Days Won:  1

Wimbledon seemed dangerous before their first penalty, but that decision caused Notts to crumble. It took a while to get back into the game, with Notts striving to level the score. We seem to have those self-doubts that held us back from gaining promotion from the National League. We went from scoring freely to crumbling after a defeat. Either way, Notts must improve defensively. I won’t single out individual players, as it’s the team that’s at fault. If we had played better earlier and created better opportunities, how differently could we have controlled the game if Notts had scored first? On to the next match.

• Like 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,992
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Playing Rawlinson on the left back fired. His pass was charged down but on the highlights, the first penalty, just looked like an invitation to dive over Bostocks leg? 

The ref failed to give a clear hand ball (penalty)  to Notts in the 2nd half.

The 2nd penalty, build up was conceding a needless corner.

Our failure to defend the corner properly perhaps led to Crowley  being adjudged to have impeded their guy?

I was pretty sure, Jake Reeves would hit it down the middle... Slocombe looks nowhere near to saving a penalty.

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  911
  • Days Won:  2

Notts certainly made it harder for themselves, showing resilience to level the score but repeating the same errors that initially gave Wimbledon the lead. Notts’ defence was lacking throughout the match, with too much dependence on Sam Slocombe to pull off a rescue act. We need to see more urgency in defence when teams figure out how to breach our back three.

Also, there’s no disputing that penalty - Crowley clearly held onto the Wimbledon player. But Notts do need to improve their defence of set pieces.

• 4 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  73
  • Days Won:  0

As a long-time supporter of Notts, I’ve seen us go through highs and lows, gaining invaluable experience along the way. Facing Wimbledon now, we had hoped to leverage that experience. Their recent performance suggested a potential vulnerability, and we aimed to capitalise on that. However, maintaining the integrity of the game and avoiding disorderly play was paramount. I had high hopes that our midfield could be the game-changer, given their proven ability to dominate in previous matches. Unfortunately, we were unable to bring that control to bear this time. Despite the defeat, we remain hopeful for future games.

• Like 1