Match Discussion: Game 21 - The Saddlers (H)

PON_News

Supporter+

Every season, there's one team in League 2 that goes from promotion contender to fighting relegation. I hate to say it, but we fit that bill right now. It's plain as day that teams have figured us out yet there's no Plan B. New players aren't going to fix that. LW needs to adjust or we'll go into free fall and we all know what happens after that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 3

Supporter+

Where do we go from here? This was a very disappointing result and more so the performance which certainly in the second half was lacklustre, we just seemed to run out of ideas. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I was only able to listen but we did sound very lacklustre and then to have LW say he didn’t recognise the team after the game is worrying. Sounded like the ball spent as much time out of play as it did in, our passing game just not there. But to not create a decent chance and have a shot on goal in the second half, especially against a Walsall team who sounded bang average, is shocking.

I know people bang on about the defence but yesterday’s bench was limiting in terms of attacking talent, when the game is desperate for someone on to add a bit of creativity, we only had Morias the rest were central midfielders and defenders!

I don’t know why we played so badly but I’m starting to wonder is it just a coincidence that our form has dropped since Matty Palmer’s injury or does it tell us how much we rely on him when he is in the team? I can remember last season against Maidstone, our final away game, we were 3-0 up. Then we took Matty Palmer off and almost immediately after they scored 2 and nearly got a 3rd!

• Like 5

first half i thought we did well.

a little too much focus on passing backwards instead of going forward or taking their marker on, but we defended very routinely. walsall was not a great squad by any means, they just worked together and fought hard for their goals. if notts had got their act together sooner, i think we could have turned it around. defensively, walsall looked clueless but we never really tested that in the second half. jodi jones tried but it was all from crosses. we needed to attack around the box a bit more imo.

i thought the changes made by luke williams made us very defensive.

jim o brien and richard brindley are not two players i would introduce to a game where you want to fight back. jr morias coming on gave us some pace but we failed to get him involved. Very few balls was played to his feet which meant he had to work for it.

our midfield was terrible, they couldn't press, win back the ball or make a simple pass.

walsall did not apply any pressure for this to happen, to me it was all a lack of application, confidence and a weak mindset.

luke williams should have kept dan crowley on for longer, i dont think he was injured and taking one of the players who can put someone through with a clever pass going off made no sense to me at all.

• Love 3

Supporter+
20 minutes ago, liampie said:

luke williams should have kept dan crowley on for longer, i dont think he was injured and taking one of the players who can put someone through with a clever pass going off made no sense to me at all.

I agree @liampie unless Dan was injured I thought it was a poor decision to take him off, a better choice would have been McGoldrick for Morias.

• Like 2

I believe the main problem is that no one could pass effectively.

Yes, we could exchange a few passes, move around, and get into a good position, but Notts were hindered by a tendency to go backwards. That’s the issue, it shifts all the thinking onto our defence, and teams are realising all they have to do is mark and press. Then we start making poor decisions and end up losing possession.

The defenders are already panicking or aren’t as focused as we need. Then they score, which I thought was very poor. Aidan Stone did very little wrong, his kicking wasn’t great at times, but I want to see more movement, more desire, and more forward-thinking when it comes to attacking. We could have easily beaten Walsall had we not underperformed. Notts were shocking in the second half, and saying we underperformed is a massive understatement as we simply didn’t perform at all.

• Love 2

Once I got home, I started writing a response to this on my phone. I felt very displeased with what I witnessed, and I couldn't put into words how I felt about the game. I kept changing my text until I ended up deleting parts of it. Then I just gave up, it seemed pointless.

I have nothing but respect for our players; it pains me to write things which they might disagree with or find unfair. However, I try to reflect on what I think, see and feel.

Kyle Cameron wasn't at his best, I honestly think the pressure is getting to him. I heard other fans say after the game that he's never been good defensively and that he's not that good going forward. I disagree, because I feel there's been times when he's been exceptional. I thought when he arrived he looked quite comfortable and, mostly, did well in the National League. Yes, he got caught out at times, but nothing like against Walsall.

It's not just Kyle, John Bostock looked unlike himself - could he still be carrying a knock? Maybe, but he was very poor on the ball. Likewise with David McGoldrick, he held the ball up and did some nice touches but largely had a pretty big off day. Lewis Macari was very encouraging in the first half, I thought he looked useful in the second and the decision to take him off for Richard Brindley left me questioning why.

I don't think the game suited bringing on Jim O'Brien either, he showed his surge in wanting to get us forward but largely fell into the same trap as everyone else. Losing possession by making weak passes or holding onto the ball for too long without considering passing it sooner.

In the first half, our game management allowed us to press and create chances. Notts focused on bringing the ball back far too much, especially when better passes were available.

I was extremely disappointed with Aaron Nemane, particularly in his defensive skills. He looked magic at times going forward, but unproductive too, and sometimes you felt he should have passed. I love seeing him take on players, but when you are being marked by 3 or more players, passing seems a much safer option. There's no fault on him for Walsall's first goal. However, Cameron should have been where Nemane stood.

Also, John Bostock and Sam Austin should have done better to cover the cross. Both put their feet in hoping to block it but neither actually focused on the ball. More hoping sticking out their feet would be effective enough, but it's not good defending.

Aidan Stone mostly could be forgiven for me, but his positioning wasn't the best. Yes, his distribution at times perhaps wasn't great, but he wasn't the problem. He made some very good saves in situations where you would feel the attacking player was favoured. I couldn't imagine how difficult his job became in the second half with the lack of pressing, covering, defending and effort.

Nemane should have put more effort to get back for their second goal, Walsall had another player who sprinted into a very good passing position and Nemane just stood as a spectator. He might not be great at defending, but a little effort wouldn't go a miss.

The marking in the middle is too focused on a crowded area, but we lack effort from the midfield to get back and cover. Yes, everyone watched the ball end up being played perfectly to Isaac Hutchinson. There was time for more thought to go into the organisation of our defence.

Jodi Jones really should have moved to get behind Hutchinson, he's watching it develop. The space opens up, by the time the ball is struck, only then does Jodi jog to cover. Although it's a bit belated, it's evident that everyone's defensive performance in the second half was absolutely dreadful. There is a lack of urgency, coordination, and communication. Our passing was disappointing, and we wasted every crucial minute when we could have pulled ourselves together. Mostly, I feel through a lack of effort and application.

As for Luke Williams, he's at fault for not demanding more and for extremely poor tactical changes.

No way should Dan Crowley have been taken off, he was one of the few players who were capable of stringing several successful passes together.

Junior Morais should have come on for David McGoldrick. Dan Gosling made sense, at least in principle. I wouldn't have introduced Jim O'Brien or Richard Brindley. I know these seem like attacking minded players, I can't help but feel Adam Chicksen and Will Randall (although the latter has been poor) would have given us more attacking options. We might want to consider how strong our bench is in games where we need to produce more creativity because that's where we lack in that department. The defensive issue is a big headache, when nobody wants to take responsibility for it.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

This is an interesting one.  Have we had a game where we have been a bit meh? Neither good, nor bad?  It seems to me that we are like a well tuned machine, when it works it is fabulous, but if one component goes wrong the whole thing stops.  It also makes it difficult for someone to just slot in - hence it took a while for Bostock to find his feet and form a partnership with Palmer.  Now Palmer is injured, Bostock's role changes and this is taking time to bed in, especially as we have tried Austin next to him, and O'Brian.  At this time we need some consistency which we can't have right now.  Add to that Dan Gosling who is trying to fit into the system whilst not being match fit and we have a big problem in midfield.  That then puts more onus on Jones and Nemane and on the back 3.  

I love our system, and would hate us to try lumping it forwards as some fans seem to want... it won't work as we don't have the players to get into a physical scrap or fight an aerial battle.  What we probably do need is another plan that can take the pressure off certain areas of the pitch.  For example, we seem to lack a coordinator who can tell people where to be in defence.  Maybe we should think about one of the CBs dropping a bit deeper so they have a better view of how things develop and can tell the others where to be?  I don't know, I'm no tactician, but I think we need to change things a bit from time to time to take the pressure off from time to time.

Against Wrexham we seemed to go side to side all the time and never tried an incisive run into the box.  It sounds like when the confidence goes we stop doing the things that make us successful.    

• Like 1

On 09/12/2023 at 17:05, Dripsey3 said:

Every season, there's one team in League 2 that goes from promotion contender to fighting relegation. I hate to say it, but we fit that bill right now. It's plain as day that teams have figured us out yet there's no Plan B. New players aren't going to fix that. LW needs to adjust or we'll go into free fall and we all know what happens after that. 

As I write this we've lost to Tranmere by a similar pattern. I agree that teams have figured us out. Luke Williams has done wonders for us since he became Head Coach, but he is stubborn, continuing with the same tactics that aren't working especially away from home. I agree he has no plan B.