Do you have a second team?

Supporter+

Most on here support Notts of course but does anyone admit to having a soft spot for another team whose results they look out for.

I used to work with a Derby County supporter whose second team was Reading, when I asked him why he said it started when he was a young boy and his favourite subject at school was reading. :rollonfloorlaughing:

I don’t really have a second team as such although I do look at the scores of other local teams especially Derby to see what mood @super_ram will be in. :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I grew up watching Arsenal, and before I went to Meadow Lane, I would have said them over Notts.

There was a period even after that where it was easier to keep updated on as a young kid in the 90s. I wrote to many clubs as a kid to see who would reply, it was very exciting. Notts never did reply to the letter, however, Arsenal did they sent me a signed Dennis Bergkamp picture (hand signed) and a team poster which had all the 98 squad signatures on, but that was printed. Still, those are things I really appreciated.

About 2004, I started to get fed up with the Premier League - mostly due to the direction it was going. I have always found supporting a club like Notts to mean more and with my coming of age, it was a lot easier for me to choose to attend games myself, especially after my grandfather Ray died in 2000.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

No, I’ve never been interested in other clubs. My family are all Notts County fans and I’ve been going to games for many years. Notts were the first team I watched live and because of that, and it being my first experience of football, I find watching it on TV lacks atmosphere. Plus, the commentators these days tend to be annoying. So, no second team for me.

• Like 6

I've moved about a bit so you do tend to pick up second teams that way! Since I've lived in Germany it's been SV Waldhof Mannheim in the third division, who are having a really poor season. Before that I went to see Coventry City a few times when they played at Highfield Road, which was just a short walk away. I've been to the Ricoh as well but it's just not the same.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I'm from Sutton In Ashfield and followed Stags in the 70's met my wife through watching them, I've also lived in Brighton so watched them, so I've hoped both do well.

• Like 4
  • Surprised 1

My family all back Notts, those who don’t aren’t into football and I’ve no reason to follow any other team. There are teams I like, but that’s usually because of a Notts link. I can’t imagine any team being more of a rollercoaster than Notts. Despite the ups and downs, it’s the community and the real football that make it special to me.

• Like 4

My grandad used to always talk to me about Bobby Charlton and George Best, so growing up I also used to also be a Utd fan. Now, I take little interest in them but will watch them if they’re on the TV (don’t have posh telly).

• Like 4

i never liked football growing up, i was not sporty and i hated loud noises.

i have spoken about how i got a free ticket from school and my father took me, since that game i have been loving notts. finding pon as a teen it helped bring me more involved and i have no interest in other clubs. when i first joined twitter, it could have put me off from following notts if it was not for finding pon. the family feel of the site and how supportive members were helped. @GrannyPie would be pleased to see it continuing.

@Fozzy considering what united have become, i do not blame you. they are quite embarrassing how backwards they have gone and throw money in wasted efforts to do what is needed to be the club we all know. i dont think much will change until someone fixes all that is happening in the background and getting their fans back on board 100%.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid, I was Liverpool due to my Dad being a Liverpool fan. There's loads of photos from when I was growing up wearing all sorts of Liverpool kits, magazines that were past down to me and even got taken on an Anfield tour. 

I do like to see Liverpool doing well tbf. 

But, this was before I even began liking Football. It wasn't till I was 10 that I began to take a liking to football and it was due to my Grandad that I became a Notts fan. 

Having been on holiday a few times to Orlando, I would say that Orlando City is what I'd deem as my second team.

Other than that, I do keep tabs on Coalville Town results and watch them from time to time due to me living locally, around a 15 minute walk away from the ground. 

• Like 3

On 19/01/2024 at 15:07, Chris said:

I grew up watching Arsenal, and before I went to Meadow Lane, I would have said them over Notts.

There was a period even after that where it was easier to keep updated on as a young kid in the 90s. I wrote to many clubs as a kid to see who would reply, it was very exciting. Notts never did reply to the letter, however, Arsenal did they sent me a signed Dennis Bergkamp picture (hand signed) and a team poster which had all the 98 squad signatures on, but that was printed. Still, those are things I really appreciated.

About 2004, I started to get fed up with the Premier League - mostly due to the direction it was going. I have always found supporting a club like Notts to mean more and with my coming of age, it was a lot easier for me to choose to attend games myself, especially after my grandfather Ray died in 2000.

Arsenal were my second team tonight but only temporarily:demon:.I think you all know I'm a Ram first and a Magpie second and we are all County fans .

• Like 4

I’ve always enjoyed watching football, but I’ve never supported a second team. I just like Notts and my love for our history keeps me focused on the club. As a youngster, I couldn’t imagine life without Notts and I wanted to work in the sport. I’m glad I studied journalism at Leeds University because it showed me that my love is for Notts, not just football.

• Like 3