Match Discussion: Game 30 - The Bluebirds (H)

PON_News

Game 30 - The Bluebirds (H)

Team: Barrow

Date: 27/01/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So this is going to be the big game when Stuart takes charge of Notts for the first time. We have seen on other threads the footballing  philosophy of Steve in action for Wealdsone and I'm sure he's going to put some of his thinking in place for the Barrow game. I expect that he will go for a back 3 supported by two wingbacks & a defensive midfielder in front of the back 3. The wingbacks will have to ensure they track back when we lose possession. Stuart will be more cautious than Luke when it comes to attacking and possibly won't commit players forward in numbers, this may reduce our attacking potency a little, however the big benefit will be defensively. Better to win 2:1 than 4:3

I would be happy with a draw, but hope for a 2:1 win which would be absolutely huge for us.

Looking forward to this Saturday. It won't be long coming.

• Like 12

I would like to say it should be quite straight forward with it being at Meadow Lane, but there are so many unknowns. Barrow will still see us as a team they want to beat due to the size of our ground and now with the addition of a new manager.

This will be our first real insight into Stuart Maynard, something which we need to just remind ourselves that its early days no matter what.

If we go on to lose, thrash them or draw. The performance will hopefully just be a starting point. Nothing more than a glimpse as to what we may expect from the newly appointed head coach, defensively we may still make the same usual mistakes. Provided the team works hard, chances should come, and it should be a great entertaining game. Barrow won't want to lose points just as much as us, but we need to make the most of being in front of our home fans.

A draw wouldn't be a bad outcome.

Barrow is a very organised team which plays to their strengths, I think they're punching slightly above their own weight, but that's what good teams do. I respect that, I can see them wanting to make the most of set pieces and dead balls. Moments where we commonly switch off, as for us, I hope to see us playing in a way where we bombard their area in the controlling manner that is both exciting and threatening.

• Like 5
  • Love 9

Supporter+

Hopefully the team will adjust quickly to the new boss and the “tweaks” he and his management team have introduced I just hope Barrow don’t end up party poopers.

• Like 7

i think its a game that we cant read to much into with regards to stuart mayard too.

hes had time to instruct the players but to flush out any mistakes will take time, even if the performance is perfect by notts on saturday we should still be mindful. i am sure maynard will be a fantastic appointment but the next few games will say more about the squad than it would about him as our head coach. i am hoping that we dont change to much, i dont think there is the need for that. i am hoping jaden warner starts. it would be nice to see him.

i think the rest of the squad picks itself and i think maynard may go with sam slocombe in goal if he is fit.

• Like 10

Supporter+

We drew 1-1 at their place. Notts had most of the possession but only 1 shot on target. You'd expect Notts to dominate possession at home. Barrow are a patient side and will wait for opportunities. I think Notts will be better defensively and that could be enough to secure a hard fought win. 

• Like 7

Given the uncertainty of having a new coach and not knowing how the team will react, I’m hesitant to say that Barrow won’t enjoy their visit to Meadow Lane. I can see the match ending 1-0, but I’m not sure who will score. I fully expect Barrow to have a solid defence and make a strong impression with their counter-attacks.

• Like 6

Hopefully, Stuart Maynard and his team can keep up the winning streak at Meadow Lane. Being at home might make things a bit easier for him, but taking on a club full-time is still a new challenge. I’m confident he’ll do well. The recent coaching videos suggest they’re a vocal team during training, which is promising.

• Like 9

Saturday feels different with a new manager at the helm. It's crucial we support the team and trust in Maynard's process, whether it's a win, draw, or loss against Barrow. The key for me will be how we manage the game, cutting down on mistakes and staying focused for 90 minutes. Predicting a solid 2-0, keeping those 3 points in Nottingham!

• Like 9

Maynard needs time, but initial signs of progress would be refreshing. I think holding our shape, especially in transition, will be the true test against a Barrow side that's no pushover. Looking for a structured but dynamic performance, aiming for a 1-0 victory. This game isn't about the scoreline though, it's about the team showing they're on board with the new vision and ready to give it their all.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

There's cautious excitement in the air with the new management shake-up. While I hope for a win against Barrow, realistically, full transformation won’t happen overnight. Maynard's approach is likely focused on stability and graft, which means we might not see the flamboyant offensive play we're used to, but perhaps a more disciplined team that can grind out necessary results.

Concentration during dead ball situations has been our Achilles' heel for too long, so I expect that will be a marked improvement this match. Let's bring the noise to Meadow Lane and push the lads to a hopeful 3 points against a stubborn Barrow side.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Excited to see how the lads adapt to the new management structure. I want to see hustle, heart and that never-say-die attitude we're known for. A win would be stellar, but above all, let's keep our heads held high no matter the result. Expecting a sturdy defence against a cunning Barrow, possibly leading to a confident 2-1 to us. Let’s get behind the team!

• Like 5

Eager to see if Maynard emphasises keeping a clean sheet. Our attacking play is normally spot on, but it's the other end that's been worrisome. I'll be looking out for disciplined defending and intelligent pressing on Saturday. A clean sheet would mean a lot, going forward under new management. A gritty 1-0 to the 'Pies is what I'm hoping for.

• Like 5

The prospect of seeing a new dynamic with Maynard at the helm is indeed exciting. His arrival brings a fresh perspective and a renewed sense of optimism to the team. His leadership style and tactical acumen could potentially transform the way we play, bringing about a positive change that we’ve all been eagerly anticipating.

As for the upcoming match, a tight 1-0 victory for the 'Pies is certainly within the realm of possibility, provided we maintain our focus and stay sharp at the back. A solid defensive performance will be crucial in keeping Barrow at bay and securing those all-important three points. It’s going to be a thrilling encounter, and I can’t wait to see how it unfolds.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I`m really looking forward to this match.

Barrow is a patient side and I think they will be happy to play a deep line while waiting for mistakes.

However, I foresee a very energetic Notts team today where players are eager to impress our new gaffer.

I predict a 2-1 victory.

COYP!

• Like 3

So looking forward to this game, we know the negatives and we know the positives, if Stuart's plan today cuts down on the negatives we can beat anyone in this league. It won't be long now.

• Like 2

Six subs and an argument. 3 minutes of stoppage time.. Shocking.

All in all a decent first game under new management. Second half better than the first. Dominating possession as always. Very difficult to break through a well organized low block by Barrow, especially through the centre.

Overall satisfied with the performance.

• Like 4

Supporter+

Barrow are a difficult side to break down. A point is a decent result. The defensive issues are still there but you can see how it will improve in time. An encouraging start. 

• Like 4

I'm pleased with a draw today. A reasonable start for Stuart as Head Coach. Barrow are a well drilled physical side are not where they are in the league for nothing, they are hard to break down and have one of the best defences in the league.

I would have taken a draw at the start and due to the results above us, the draw hasn't worked out two bad for us.As for the game, our first 15 minutes was poor, we could have been 2:0 down but we improved after that, Jodi did what he has been doing for us week after week by his assist  for our equaliser and Aaron has found his scoring boots with 5 goals in 5 matches In the second half we looked the better side without really creating a lot. Some of Barrow's challenges went unpunished and the synical foul on Jodi should have seen a red card. Didn't see any real changes in our shape, that will come with time, but the all round performance today was better, including our defence. On to Mansfield  for our next game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robbie said:

I'm pleased with a draw today. A reasonable start for Stuart as Head Coach. Barrow are a well drilled physical side are not where they are in the league for nothing, they are hard to break down and have one of the best defences in the league.

I would have taken a draw at the start and due to the results above us, the draw hasn't worked out two bad for us.As for the game, our first 15 minutes was poor, we could have been 2:0 down but we improved after that, Jodi did what he has been doing for us week after week by his assist  for our equaliser and Aaron has found his scoring boots with 5 goals in 5 matches In the second half we looked the better side without really creating a lot. Some of Barrow's challenges went unpunished and the synical foul on Jodi should have seen a red card. Didn't see any real changes in our shape, that will come with time, but the all round performance today was better, including our defence. On to Mansfield  for our next game.

Spot on @Robbie !

• Like 4