Match Discussion: Game 31 - The Stags (A)

PON_News

Game 31 - The Stags (A)

Team: Mansfield Town

Date: 03/02/2024

Where: Field Mill

Mansfield_Town.png.185164bc8a2dc3875fa1e

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

I'm not sure Luke Williams will have much of a say, but I reckon the line up will be something like:

Stone

Warner

Baldwin

Cameron

Nemane

Jones

Robertson

Bostock

Crowley

McGoldrick

Langstaff

Bench 

Loan Goalkeeper (I have a mental block on his name)

Brindley / Macari (if fit)

JoB, Austin / Randall /TAR (3 of depending on Jones' fitness)

Sanderson

It almost picks itself at the moment.  If Jones is injured, then Austin for Jones, if jones is fit then TAR drops out.

It is going to be a tough old match, even with Mansfield suffering with suspensions and injuries. A draw would be a good result.

• Like 4

I believe that this match is going to be one of the most important matches of the season for Notts.If Notts can get a result here, it would be absolutely massive.

The focus will be on the Notts defense, can they carry a good performance against Barrow into an immediate away match, will Stuart select Jaden in the centre of defense and will we see more tweaks to our shape and style to support our defense when we lose possession or if Mansfield break after a Notts set piece up field. If these tweaks are carried through, will it impact on our attacking threat?

We are certainly going to find out in the next few games. Stuart will have to tread a fine balance to shore up our defense but not impact our attacking prowess.

I believe that Stuart will select Jaden over Brindley and bolster our midfield in the central areas. He may rest Didzy on have him on the bench and select Austin, with 3 at the back, a four man midfield, with 2 wingbacks and Macaulay up front. Notts can play any system successfully whether we build from the back, go direct, or hit on the break.

A more cautious approach at Mansfield could pay dividends, and we can always change things in the second half if need be.

I'm going for a 1:1 draw but hoping for a 1:2 win, due to Mansfield having key players missing at this time.

• Like 5

Will they thrash us? Can we win? Or will it be a stalemate and boring?

Part of me feels that we could do well and take the points, though I am mindful of the comments about Mansfield dropping points and that makes me anxious that it will lift them even more for the local derby. They are in a position where maintaining their good form is very important, we are desperately needing to pick up our away form and having lost to them at home - the pressure swings back to us.

Notts needs to start the game off positively, keep it calm at the back and protect our goal.

If we can maintain the ball, we need to make sure that at times we break up our focus on how we do attack. If we rely solely on the flanks, Mansfield should suss us out and that won't benefit us. Yes, we have quality, and it can change games, and I am not doubting it's an important area to exploit, but it should restrict us from working the central areas. This is the best area to feed Macaulay Langstaff the ball.

Our best form came when Dan Crowley and Matt Palmer would take the edge of the five yard box, with passes which overlapped and in the cases when space didn't open up, we would play it out wide splitting the defence but importantly making space to move into.

Honestly, part of our current issues is how predictable and unimaginative we are when it comes to creating chances. If we can make use of the middle of the park, I would fair our chances much higher against Mansfield. I think they'll be thinking it's won before kick off, so we need to match their mentality and just be brave.

• Like 5

i fear mansfield, i am more optimistic about wrexham as we can control them better. mansfield at meadow lane just overloaded us and i think at their ground they will do the same again. i would be happy with a point. not that a win would not be great, it would but i dont have that expectation.

a smash and grab against mansfield would be very pleasing.

• Like 5

I really hate this fixture… In the last 12 meetings, which covers our more recent meetings (since 2014) we’ve won 3, lost 7 and drawn 2 😬😰

I think Mansfield will be missing Flint through injury and both Bowery and Quinn through suspensions. So that’s a little boost for us. They have also have been struggling at Field Mill recently (maybe cos the pitch resembles one) Doncaster and Sutton got a point there and Crewe beat them.

Nonetheless I’m still not confident we’ll win, maybe the team will be desperate to get them back after we kind of fell apart second half against them.

I’d like to see Warner in the team and I’d even start with Adebayo-Rowling at RWB for a bit more defensive nous. It is harsh on Nemane given he’s scored 5 in 5 at the minute but we could always bring him on if we needed more attacking flair.

I hope we at least put in a good performance, I’m not going so it’ll just be the radio for me, at least I can just switch it off if it all goes horribly wrong again!

• Like 4

Seen this fixture nine times. 1 JPT, 8 league games. 2 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses. GF7, GA18. Our record in this derby is bad, but our record at Field Mill is borderline farcical. 

The main reason why we never do well in this fixture is because we don't have the right attitude and application, especially in the away fixture. Funnily enough, the one time we did show some bite and finishing quality, we won.

Warner must start over Brindley because like Bradford and for a while Barrow, Mansfield will just target our right-hand side. We need legs to cope with their midfield diamond and to also stand strong if they go man-to-man (like they did at ML). Unlike that fixture though, Jodi will be available for it.

It's also in games like this, we must stop isolating Macca. It feels like sometimes we're too afraid to take risks incase the opposition counter on us. It's happened against all the teams we've played in the top 7 this season. 

I've already seen that Mansfield are in an apparent "crisis,"  like they say they are everytime before they play us, before we eventually put in an excuse of a performance and tamely lose like normal. This time its to do with their lack of striker options. I've already predicted they'll get a penalty to make up for the one they didn't get against Wimbledon. It's also not like their Twitter account has already tweeted about the game 2 or 3 times this week already, whilst we've tweeted nothing about it. 

This game won't define our season but the players owe us after the reverse fixture. I hope SM, MS and CS have done their research into our record in this fixture. It needs to change. Immediately

• Like 5

6 hours ago, liampie said:

i fear mansfield, i am more optimistic about wrexham as we can control them better. mansfield at meadow lane just overloaded us and i think at their ground they will do the same again. i would be happy with a point. not that a win would not be great, it would but i dont have that expectation.

a smash and grab against mansfield would be very pleasing.

Remember they have six defenders injured and two more players will be unavailable due to red cards. Even so they will be tough, but I have a feeling we won't be playing ping pong football under Stuart. I think those days are gone hopefully. Mansfield have a strong midfield so we need to match them there and be solid in defence. A draw would do.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Mansfield deservedly beat us at ML. At full strength they are the best team in the division IMO. Luckily for us, they won't be at full strength but........this game may have come too soon for our new look squad. When the signings are bedded in, we should be a better side. Mansfield were robbed at Wimbledon last week. That's bound to give them extra motivation. They will play well against us, they always do. 

• Like 5

One thing we must stop doing in this fixture, is capitulating. It is a horrible trait of Notts teams over the years in this very fixture.

2015-16 - Lost 5-0 and conceded 3 in 10 minutes, that took the score from 1-0 to 4-0.

Screenshot_20240202_143912_FotMob.jpg

2016-17 - Lost 3-1 and conceded 2 goals in added time (the first in the 90th and the second in the 93rd) that took the score from 1-1 to 3-1.

Screenshot_20240202_143927_FotMob.jpg

2017-18 - Lost 3-1 and conceded 3 goals in 16 minutes, including 2 in 4 minutes. That took the score from 0-0 to 3-0.

Screenshot_20240202_143936_FotMob.jpg

2023-24 - Lost 4-1 and conceded 3 in 11 minutes that took the score from 1-1 to 4-1.

Screenshot_20240202_143943_FotMob.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mansfield will press our back 3 again, and with the horrible pitch state they have at the moment it will lead to us making mistakes. Fully expect Flint to play as I don’t think his shoulder was dislocated and he’s as hard as nails, so I’m guessing it will end 3-1 to them with us getting a late consolation goal.  
They’re a bigger and stronger side than us, and we don’t have the height up front to go long. I just can’t see us getting the win but would love to be proved wrong, and if we can’t do it now with all their injuries and suspensions then I don’t know when we can.

• Like 3

That's a walk down memory lane I could have done without @ARLukomski! Yikes, it's like a ritual humiliation 😬

They're the best side I've seen this season and would have been well clear in the table if they could have turned some of those early season draws into wins. Them having players out doesn't necessarily mean we'll get an easier ride as their replacements are getting their chance and will be fully motivated to take it. Any points from this would be a good result.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'll be keeping an eye on the game this afto ,good luck!!!

• Like 3

Supporter+

First, that pitch is awful. It prevented both sides from playing to their potential. Notts did enough to earn at least a point but didn't take their chances. Mansfield were their usual resilient selves and they will win promotion. I think we saw enough to be confident that Notts will push for a playoff spot. 

• Like 4

Dissapointing result but we deserved a point, and we should have had what was a clear penalty commited against Macca. We hit the woodwork twice and one appeared to be over the line, plus other missed chances.

Jodi Jones will be black and blue because of the treatment he received during this game from the opposition. They obviously targeted him.

It was a much better defensive display. Warner looked composed and is a good addition to our back line, Robertson played well too. We have certainly improved in defence.

Pity about the early concession what proved to be the winning goal for Mansfield, but with other results around the playoff area going for us we remain in the mix for the playoffs.. 

Still very optimistic for our chances. Another week to work on putting things right then it's Gillingham on Friday.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Another loss to Mansfield it’s so frustrating, I was keeping an eye on Twitter here in Lanzarote, it sounds like a close game that we could have at least drawn, I hope we can get a win soon under the new boss.

• Like 3

I listened to the game on the radio and from what I can gather, it didn't sound like the greatest game of football but Notts can feel very hard done to not to have got at least a point from the game. 

The referee didn't seem to have a good game either. Stal was gesturing for a card on one of the Mansfield players for a cynical foul, which is a bookable offence anyway, but also because it was apparently the 3rd time he had committed a foul. There was also claims for a penalty for a potential foul on Langstaff.

13 shots and just the 1 on target. That's a poor stat to have in a game. It sounded like we were getting there but no urgency to properly attack or make any sort of great chance to find an equaliser. The best of the bunch that I heard of on the radio was Jodi Jones hitting it over after capitalising on a mistake by a Mansfield player. 

Baldwin sounded like he had a very good game at the back. Stone also sounded like he did well between the sticks and made some good saves. 

It's not great losing to a rival like Mansfield but it's not as bad as the 4-1 defeat we suffered at Meadow Lane earlier on in the season I suppose.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DonnyNotts said:

Season petering out? Hope not

I think we will make the playoffs but the automatics are too far for us now.

3 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Another loss to Mansfield it’s so frustrating, I was keeping an eye on Twitter here in Lanzarote, it sounds like a close game that we could have at least drawn, I hope we can get a win soon under the new boss.

Defence much more solid. Should have at least drawn that game.

I despair at some of the comments on Twitter saying that the manager isn’t good enough. The blokes had 2 games against top 3 clubs, what do they expect?!? 
Defensively we’re much better and the goals will come, it takes time to implement a new manager’s ideas.

Even the Mansfield fans that I know think that Macca should have had a penalty. Goes to show that Nigel played a blinder by outing last week’s ref for poor decisions, obviously got into this refs head not to give us anything.

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

I despair at some of the comments on Twitter saying that the manager isn’t good enough. The blokes had 2 games against top 3 clubs, what do they expect?!? 
Defensively we’re much better and the goals will come, it takes time to implement a new manager’s ideas.

Even the Mansfield fans that I know think that Macca should have had a penalty. Goes to show that Nigel played a blinder by outing last week’s ref for poor decisions, obviously got into this refs head not to give us anything.

Agree. I think today was our best defensive performance of the season. I know we lost, but that performance gives me optimism that we can secure a playoff space.

Unfortunately, we were defeated. Mansfield is in a more stable position, and it's evident that Nigel Clough has worked wonders since overcoming calls for his dismissal. Their ability to handle setbacks makes them a strong contender for promotion. Although Notts gave their best effort, losing narrowly is preferable to being heavily beaten. We must move forward; Stuart Maynard needs a victory, but even in better form, this is a game we should put behind us. Losing a local derby isn't ideal, but our focus should be on securing our playoff spot in more significant matters.

• Like 1