Match Discussion: Game 33 - The Exiles (A)

PON_News

Game 33 - The Exiles (A)

Team: Newport County

Date: 13/02/2024

Where: Rodney Parade

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Newport is a tough away game. They’re strong on their home ground, and currently, most League Two teams could likely beat us. Our morale seems low with little sign of improvement. An early goal and a strong performance would be ideal, but it seems unlikely.

• Like 3

Supporter+

What Notts still have going for them regardless of the problems in defence, is the second best, and arguably, the best attacking force in the league.

Every team that we meet will be very weary of how Notts can tear opponents apart on their day.

We saw an improvement in our defence against Barrow and Mansfield, if we can play with the same commitment and team spirit we showed against Mansfield in that first half,we can still cause any side problems including Newport.

It will be no surprise to anyone that the key area that will decide this match, will be if the Notts team can successfully defend on Tuesday.

I would change the defensive line to a back 4 with 5 in midfield & Macaulay up front, Crowley & Jones supporting Macaulay from midfield. I would rest Nemane & McGoldrick & replace with Macari & Austin.

I believe we should be more defensively minded for this game, because it is vital we get a result here.

A win would be fabulous but a draw would be fine

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Newport's last league defeat was on December 23rd. They are in excellent form. They got to 2-2 against an almost full strength Man Utd in the FA Cup. Their style of play is perfectly suited to playing against us unfortunately. If they play well, I don't see us getting anything out of the game. We are not in a good place right now. We badly need a win. 

• Like 4

Newport probably feel it’s a good time to play us and will be confident of getting a good result given they are on a bit of a winning run (in the league) at the moment. But it’s usually the games you bank on a win (like Walsall who were on a winless run of about 7/8 before beating us and Gillingham who had only scored 11 away goals) that never come true. I’m hoping this is a similar scenario, there could well be a touch of complacency from Newport and we’ve got something to prove after the poor Friday night performance.

I’d be looking to make a few changes though, just to freshen the side up really. Not the easiest thing to do, as I’ve no idea who’s actually fit.

Ashby-Hammond in goal, why not see what he can do. Macari for Warner, O’Brien for Bostock, Adebayo (he’s dropped the Rowling now hasn’t he?) for Nemane and Didzy for either Austin or Morias. I’d prioritise Bostock and Didzy as I think both could really do with the rest.

Hopefully Colkett and Chicksen are fit enough to make the bench along with Randall, if he’s actually a real person and not just a figment of my imagination…

I can see this game going two ways, after the dip in form we pull out a great performance and get a good solid win or we lose 2/3-0.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

If they play as they tend to do against us, they'll frustrate and delay the game when it benefits them - so it could be scrappy.

They defeated Walsall 3-0 away from home, so that says enough about them.

I also feel they're exactly the type of team I have been talking about as opposed to us, as we seem to be declining and in a pretty big slump. They're pushing and doing well to maintain a steady amount of form. Teams like Newport are leveraging their results to inch even closer to the Playoffs. For me, this gives them the advantage and with our own low morale I can see them making it difficult for us to score.

Obviously, things aren't as easy to foresee or even predict ahead of time. Notts are making this very hard and whilst we may have lost the confidence in our ability to win, Newport might not play to their best either. Yet, I think they will make it difficult and most likely force us to be indecisive, so I don't expect a classic game.

I worry that we might encounter another defeat, narrowly but still a loss.

• Like 3

Notts must put in the effort and utilise their possession effectively. I don’t want us to depend solely on wide creativity. I’d like to see Notts exploit the space and perhaps take a few shots at goal when the chance arises. At times, players have ample space to attempt a goal, but choose to keep passing. We need to show more courage against Newport. Now is the time to secure a win, even if it means playing less attractively or not as well.

• Like 3

@allardyces tash Winning ugly isn't a bad thing sometimes, performance wise there's a lot to improve, but we could focus on that once we start to lift the camps' morale. Right now, we have gone from looking like we could beat anyone (earlier in the season), to struggling defensively and drawing to losing more games than perhaps we should.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Chris featured this topic
Supporter+

@Chris I agree.

Sometimes when a side is conceding goals and losing big, changes have to be made.

As an example, the club across the river last season tried to play like they did in the championship. Attempting to play open football. It didn't work, they were  conceding goals like nobody's business and they had to change their style, graft, pack their midfield and work hard to get a result which was largely successful.

It wasn't pretty but it was effective.

We've been found out by the other clubs in this league. We have to try something different, otherwise we will continue to keep on leaking goals

• Like 1

I believe we’ve reached a stage where we need to focus on earning the necessary points. We’re safe, Notts won’t be relegated, but once the playoffs are out of reach, it might be time to start integrating some young players. Of course, at this point, there’s still plenty of hope to pursue the playoffs. Newport will face an equal amount of pressure, but they’ll likely have a better mindset due to their form. Notts needs to stay focused, shake off any distractions, and ensure no nerves set in. In terms of performance, it’s not crucial as long as we can secure the win. The players have everything they need to achieve this, they just need to believe in themselves and work hard.

• Like 1

It will be a tough match and if Notts get something out of it then that will be something for the Magpies to build on. Hand on heart 2-0 Newport. Reading fellow Fans comments I think they are right that certain players need to be rested and the formation needs to be changed around. I don't think Macca should be left up front on his own, maybe give Junior an outing along side him. It's about time the on loan keeper is is given a game, I'm sorry I don't like to single out players but Stone does worry me, he's made a couple of good saves in recent matches, but overall I'd sooner have someone else between the sticks. Notts need to get back to winning ways and get out  of this slump, but unfortunately I can't see it  happening in the next couple of matches.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Agree with what you have said @Wheelbarrow repair man 

For example, Jodi and Nemane are not really wing backs in the modern sense, they are very good wingers at this level. Great going forward but not at the same level when defending.

It's going to be interesting how Stuart balances the need to defend, with the need to attack. Luke couldn't solve that conundrum.

We've seen some improvement against Barrow and Mansfield. Now we need to see much more for the Newport game 

Supporter+

This looks like a good team for the match tonight.

Supporter+

Notts team to face Newport tonight.

Ashby-Hammond Debut

Macari in for Nemane. Looks like a back 4, but we'll see.

Supporter+

What a result in Wales with a new formation that worked for Stuart.

Pity we didn't get the clean sheet, we certainly deserved it.

Very soft penalty for them but 3:1 is tremendous.

On to Wrexham on Saturday with renewed confidence.

Absolutely over the moon tonight.

The playoffs are still possible. First win of 10 needed.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Post match Stuart's verdict on a great win.

• Like 1

Totally unexpected result but I felt more confident when I saw the team sheet. Playing 4 centre halves (trying to think if Macari was a RB at Stoke) across the back just gives that extra cover and still leaves us with 4 quality attackers in the side, along with Robertson who is getting better and better the more he plays.

Fully deserved win, we looked fairly solid and hopefully the more we play this system the more we will get used to it. Credit to Maynard for playing it, as it is something Luke refused to do because he didn’t want to lose an attacker.

• Like 2

Supporter+

The change in tactics and personnel worked wonders. It's a badly needed 3 points. Hopefully we can build on this now. Back to Wales on Saturday and a real test against Hollywood FC. 

• Like 3