Goal Line Technology.

Robbie

Is it time that the EFL introduced, Goal Line Technology for all games in the EFL?

We continue to get contentious decisions where there has been disputes by players and fans on whether the ball has crossed the line or not.

We have seen two examples in recent weeks, Mansfield v Notts and MK Dons v Wrexham where the ball seems to have crossed the line, but the Ref on both occasions thought different.

It shouldn't be to hard to set up the technology at all grounds. It could prove very useful to Referees.

I would welcome such a move by the EFL.

Here's the example from the

MK Dons match v Wrexham.

• Like 8

Supporter+

Football is awash with money especially at the higher levels, I believe that goal line technology would be really beneficial to bring in at the lower levels. We can see from the Premiership where it is used that it doesn’t disrupt play unduly, a quick look at his watch by the ref and the game is either stopped because a goal is given or it continues because the ball didn’t cross the line.

Its a no brainer and would stop the controversial decisions once and for all.

• Like 10

In my view, the ball crossed the line when the Wrexham goalkeeper attempted to save it. His body pushed it over as he slid for the ball. It was evidently a goal. Introducing goal-line technology to all EFL leagues could be beneficial, but I’m aware this could lead to the use of VAR. I’m undecided on this, as it could correct many errors made by lower-tier officials, yet we’ve seen it mismanaged in other places.

• Like 9

Supporter+

I don’t know why having goal line technology would lead to VAR, I can’t see the EFL getting VAR anytime soon, it would be very expensive, maybe the championship but certainly not the lower leagues.

• Like 7

i think any level which is considered professional should have goal line technology, the lower leagues being league two and up should not be overlooked. it would be beneficial for those times when the ball is unknown if it had crossed the line. it might not happen often but it is justified to make sure the right outcome is played out.

• Like 9

If it robbed Franchise of points, I won't complain too much ;)

Seriously though - I'm not the biggest VAR fan, but goal line technology is a no-brainer as long as it's financially doable. It removes uncertainty and you get an instant (and correct) decision.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I don’t know why having goal line technology would lead to VAR, I can’t see the EFL getting VAR anytime soon, it would be very expensive, maybe the championship but certainly not the lower leagues.

The successful implementation of goal line technology in football has demonstrated how technology can enhance the accuracy of decision-making in the sport. This technology provides clear, indisputable evidence whether the ball has crossed the goal line, thereby eliminating any potential human error in such crucial decisions. Its effectiveness could be a strong argument for the English Football League to consider the addition of VAR.

Video Assistant Referee has been utilised in the Championship, League One and Two playoff finals. If this technology is put into practice, it could lead to further talks about the introduction of VAR. The EFL would want to maintain its image as a modern league system. Typically, once a piece of technology is adopted, it’s not long before additional technologies are considered.

• Like 9

Goal line technology, which has been around for years and has proven to be beneficial to the game, is long overdue. The EFL should introduce it to the leagues as it would put an end to many debates about whether goals have crossed the line or not. In this scenario, the decision will always be accurate, making the benefits undeniable.

• Like 8

How about the EFL doing something even more radical by employing competent officials?

Refereeing standards are appalling but by not owning up to it and burying their heads in the sand, the EFL are making matters worse. 

That being said, I once remember a game at Notts against Macclesfield in the late 90s/ early 2000s where Macclesfield scored a clear goal, but the ball rebounded out off the Stantion at the back of the goal and neither the linesman or referee gave it! We couldn’t believe our luck!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

@Wheelbarrow repair man that could be the stumbling point. a quick google search and i found this, i am amazed that is this much per stadium.

vG0hhIF.png

obviously this might not apply so much to this discussion, but the cost of £250k for hawk eye cameras might prove to be a stumbling point. could it be cheaper? possibly but i dont know if there are rules about who can and cant install the system. what standard of equipment is used.

personally i think it should start with league two if this were to happen.

the efl could use sponsorship money or some of the league right fees to fund it. in addition to clubs paying a certain amount towards it.

• Like 5

It is indeed a crazy amount of money. More training for officials is needed and a class in anatomy. Where are the handies? A at the bottom of the wristees, not between your shoulder and top of arm. ;)

• Like 4

Big sums of money to install it, which I never realised was as much as that, but all 92 clubs should have goal line technology. The EFL and FA should get into their pockets and make it happen.

However, even with goal line technology, the MK Dons 'Goal' still might not have been given even with the tech installed.

Throwback to June 2020

"The Blades were denied a clear goal when Villa keeper Nyland carried Norwood's free-kick behind the line.

United's players were incredulous when the goal was not given, Oliver pointing to his watch to insist he had received no signal that the ball had crossed the line." - BBC Sport

• Like 4

@Wheelbarrow repair man @allardyces tash @KB1862 @liampie @magpiejue

I get what you are all saying about cost. It seems to point once again to the £billions at the top of the game and not enough money filtering down the pyramid. It always seems to come to that somehow.

There maybe needs some persons to look at the options, to find out if there is a cost effective way to try to help the Referees with goal line decisions, and push to get more money from the PL to help fund this technology.

It's much better than VAR, especially in terms of reliability. If the cost can be more practical, expanding it throughout the EFL would make sense. Otherwise, they could introduce it gradually in phases over a period of five seasons, delivering it to one league after the other.

• Like 2