Match Discussion: Game 27 - The U's (H)

PON_News

Game 27 - The U's (H)

Team: Sutton United

Date: 27/02/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

After the 5-1 drubbing Notts took in their opening game  back in the EFL at Sutton, the Magpies really owe them and as they are the bottom of the League nothing less than three points will do and a 4 or 5 Nil victory would really be revenge for Notts.  Looking at the remaining fixture left this season, unless things improve dramatically at Notts I can't see the Magpies getting more than between 15-20 points in the games left this season.

• Like 4

After such a disappointing game on Saturday, Notts need to bounce back with a convincing performance against Sutton at Meadow Lane.

The key areas again will be in defence and attack. Stuart has to get the balance right between those two areas, which I'm not convinced he has just yet.

In addition Notts need to move the ball much quicker and get back to the slick one touch football that has been lacking of late.

For this must win game, I would rest McGoldrick & Bostock and replace them with Jatta & Austin in the starting 11.

I would put Macaulay as centre forward supported by Jatta, Cowley & Jones. It's time to go back to the point when Macaulay was the attacking focus 

I would start the game with a back four and have the same shape that was successful at Newport.

It is absolutely essential that Notts do not concede early, I also would like Notts to employ the long game much more than they do.

I'm hoping for a convincing performance on Tuesday with a 3:0 or 4:0 win, however any type of win would be welcome at this stage.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

After that debatable tackle on Mcgoldrick in the first half against Crewe yesterday I doubt he'll be fit for Tuesday against Sutton.... A big opportunity for Jatta to show what he's got... Can't say a lot about his 2 nd half appearance but he's got to take his big chance on Tuesday evening.... 

• Like 5

I know he's only had a second half appearance and he needs time to get in the Notts playing Style (such has it is), but I think Jatta is in the Eli Sam mould more than the Shola Ameobi mould. That is like Sam he'll come off the bench and get the odd goal, rather than Ameobi a big intimidating forward who scores and sets up goals. This probably seems harsh but I can't get rid of the nagging doubt I have in the back of my mind, and Nothing would please me more than to be proven wrong.

• Like 4

Supporter+

Please Notts don’t mess this one up otherwise the knives will really be out for Maynard, we need to win and hopefully convincingly, the players need to get back to a winning mentality, losing can very quickly become a habit.

• Like 5

Fan of Big Tone how right you are, regarding Stuart Maynard reading some of the comments  on other platforms it seems some Fans have condemned Stuart Maynard to the scrap heap, with remarks like he's totally out of his depth, Go back to being a BT Engineer, we need a manager who knows League 2, Notts going straight back to the National League   etc etc. But as other Fans have pointed out. Maynard is trying to different things and trying to find a winning formula and that will take time however it's seems certain Fans don't want to give him that time. It would also seem that players and Fans are still having Luke Williams withdrawal symptoms  because the guy made an incredible impact with both players and Fans, but he's gone to pastures new, it's No Good Living Off Past Glories, that too as gone, and as soon as the players and the Fans accept that and embrace the New regime at the Lane the better. Maynard as one hell of a job on his hands and he knows it, as would any manager stepping into  Williams shoes.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Spot on @Wheelbarrow repair man seems we've attracted some fair weather fans who've never seen nothing but success in the past 18 months or so.

They don't realise that by calling Stuart they are criticising the owners, and that is just not on. Stuart is the Manager they wanted  and for me Stuart has shown that he is willing to change things unlike Luke, and that is a big positive for me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, gtownjohnno said:

After that debatable tackle on Mcgoldrick in the first half against Crewe yesterday I doubt he'll be fit for Tuesday against Sutton.... A big opportunity for Jatta to show what he's got... Can't say a lot about his 2 nd half appearance but he's got to take his big chance on Tuesday evening.... 

He said after the game that it should be a "quick overturn" and was walking fine. He had what looked like two heavy bags too, so I wouldn't rule him out, but it might be a blessing if we gave him some time to get rest.

That 'hurt' from the opening day needs to be the fuel towards getting the right result on Tuesday.

If we can't beat bottom of the league, then I would fear a lot more of a fallout towards Stuart Maynard. I honestly don't know what's happened to our squad, we just aren't fighting, and every possible explanation just seems like something the players need to take more of an account towards. Whilst Maynard is clearly trying, I think part of the issue is we are used to things a certain way and changing this now, perhaps isn't the best time, but I respect Maynard for trying.

Our squad isn't built around many different options; it's been catered too closely to playing three at the back.

My biggest worry about this game is actually leading it, only for Sutton to punish us for switching off and therefore dropping three points all together or ending up as a draw. Neither of these outcomes would be good enough.

Despite all the doom and gloom, I believe in our owners and feel we just need to salvage the best possible position we can this season.

Then go again! So, naturally I am hoping for a win, but that seems bleak right now.

• Like 4

@Chris I think part of the problem is Luke and Stuart are totally different personalities and have different management styles. We know that those different styles work in working life 

Luke and his style has gone and now we have Stuart and his way. Fans just have to get used to the new way & new style and be patient.

• Like 3

Supporter+

Sutton are last for a reason. They are a poor side. If we don't beat Sutton at home, it's going to be depressing and time to stay off social media for the rest of the week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dripsey3 said:

Sutton are last for a reason. They are a poor side. If we don't beat Sutton at home, it's going to be depressing and time to stay off social media for the rest of the week!

We have the best forward line in the league. It's time for the team to step up and give us a performance to be proud of.

I'm confident we can do just that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just watched the Gaffers interview regarding tonight's  match. And what a nice surprise an interviewer who asked  intelligent questions and didn't sound half asleep, I think the Notts Media Team need to stick with just this guy because other so called interviewers just ask Stuart the same questions , but in a different order and sound about as interested in asking questions as I am becoming a Forest Fan.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Just watched the Gaffers interview regarding tonight's  match. And what a nice surprise an interviewer who asked  intelligent questions and didn't sound half asleep, I think the Notts Media Team need to stick with just this guy because other so called interviewers just ask Stuart the same questions , but in a different order and sound about as interested in asking questions as I am becoming a Forest Fan.

It was the Notts media man asking the questions..... It seemed all too well rehearsed for my liking!!!!!!! 

gtownjohnno care to expand on your opinion? Is it a bad thing the gaffer is interviewed that way? How would you like the interview to be done? I would think even if it  was as you say to well rehearsed  it was professionally  done and more entertaining than listening to others who obviously come across as not wanting to be there and just trot out the same questions in the same monotone voice.

Edited by Wheelbarrow repair man
added dialogue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gtownjohnno said:

It was the Notts media man asking the questions..... It seemed all too well rehearsed for my liking!!!!!!! 

Never heard of that before.

I'm sure that wouldn't happen. 

• Like 1

lets not underestimate sutton, we know they can do well against teams even if they are very inconsistent and are in poor form. they ruined our start of the season with their thrashing, so if there is any fight in the squad i hope to see it tonight. if we can get the points it would massively help stuart maynard, but anything else wont exactly benefit him. i am very nervous because portions of our fans will be vocal and its unknown if they will get more to be in the same voice. i hope we can just sing and encourage the lads, whatever is at fault for the downfall in form it was never really a maynard issue to begin with.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

gtownjohnno care to expand on your opinion? Is it a bad thing the gaffer is interviewed that way? How would you like the interview to be done? I would think even if it  was as you say to well rehearsed  it was professionally  done and more entertaining than listening to others who obviously come across as not wanting to be there and just trot out the same questions in the same monotone voice.

Of course it was professionally done... It was Nick Richardson... Head of Media.... Bring back Leigh Curtis..... M

Isn't Leigh Curtis  with Derbyshire Live now and reports on the Rams. ? It was a shame when he left Nottingham Live, Because the Notts coverage since his departure as been very poor and hardly exists. Then most of the articles that do appear, there's No Comment section for Fans to express their views.

Here's a Wild Thought lets put a couple of youngsters on the bench ala Jurgen Klopp. Crazy I Know.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Isn't Leigh Curtis  with Derbyshire Live now and reports on the Rams. ? It was a shame when he left Nottingham Live, Because the Notts coverage since his departure as been very poor and hardly exists. Then most of the articles that do appear, there's No Comment section for Fans to express their views.

Here's a Wild Thought lets put a couple of youngsters on the bench ala Jurgen Klopp. Crazy I Know.

Couldn't agree more... I was very impressed with young Sanderson the other week... 

• Like 2

@Wheelbarrow repair man why do we care about something that does not care about us, when we are debating this on a fan site that does care about the club? is this not redundant if the post thinks we are too small?

the club should let david jackson or whoever is from the bbc ask the questions.

they do a great job and will push questions which effect the club but unfortunately with the results, i guess the club are trying to do pr damage control. this is starting to form a different conversation though unrelated to tonights game.

• Like 2

Supporter+

2-2 Half time

I’m crapping myself every time Sutton get in our box. Could be another 5-5.