Match Discussion: Game 43 - Sulphurites (H)

PON_News

Game 43 - Sulphurites (H)

Team: Harrogate Town

Date: 06/04/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

I get the feeling that he will go for the 11 fittest players and go from there.  There seems to be an illness in the camp, and with all the off field issues with Jones and Morias (not that I think he would figure normally anyway) and partially fit Bostock, Didzy and possibly Chicksen, Austin and Macari we could end up with something like this:

Ashby-Hammond

Cameron Baldwin Rawlinson

Nemane Robertson JoB Randall

Jatta Macca

Bench:

Slocombe

Stone

Colkett

Anybody else that can stand (running and 2 legs optional)!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Wheelbarrow repair man When your job is on the line you play safe, so I am sure he will stick to experience wherever he can.  That isn't unusual.  Maybe that would be one advantage of making a statement tat Maynard is staying to next season, it gives him a free hit and an opportunity to experiment without pressure.  I doubt they would do that though as it would hit crowds between now and the end of the season. That said, if we see youngsters coming in then it may be an indication that he ahs been given the assurances he needs.

Edited by Ohh Tommy Johnson
  • Like 1

Looking at your Line up Ohh Tommy Johnson their isn't even a Full Bench would there be any harm in filling it with Youngsters? Even if they didn't get the Pitch the Experience of being chosen for the First team would be a Massive Boost to their Moral. It would give any Players with a niggle or illness a chance to recover, without having to play with their injury and make that injury worse. 

• Like 1

There are 5 games to go. I'm sure Stuart wants to win every one of them. He may put a couple of youngsters on the bench on Saturday, however, I am sure Stuart will play his strongest side available.

Some players are going to be playing for their EFL futures, some will want to impress if they are hoping to move on up the EFL pyramid.

All the team should be well motivated to put in another good performance against Harrogate for the reasons I've specified.

I hope to see Cedwyn Scott get 20 minutes or so in the second half two.

I expect Stuart will want to start with the same starting lineup as we saw against the Dons, if not, then he will put players in that have a lot to prove.

Again as in every game, the focus will be on the defence. My advice for our defenders, if in doubt, kick it out or upfield to Jatta.

My advice for Ashley-Hamnond, mix the distribution up, go long on occasions, punt it upfield on occasions.

My advice to the wingbacks, get those crosses coming in for Jatta.

If we avoid the defeat, I will be happy, but we are very capable of getting that much needed home win for Stuart.

CMON U PIES.

• Like 2

Got to win it really or at worst put in a really good performance and only lose due to factors out of our control (a.k.a a dodgy ref).

We can't afford to not take the energy and sharpness on the ball from the game against MK. If Harrogate do chose to sit back and condense the space then we've just got to keep probing, committing players into their box and keep challenging Harrogate's defence - I know our defence is poor but we've not conceded 9 in one game this season!

I'd go with the same team that started against MK if possible. I think we get a touch more balance having a more natural defender as one of the wingbacks. And that way we don't need to panic if the game is tight going into the last 30 cos we could potentially bring on Jones, Ceds and McGoldrick! (Good luck to the tired Harrogate defenders there).

And if the midfield do look/get a bit tired, given I'm not convinced Bostock is playing at full-fitness yet I'd be bringing on J'OB to keep the energy levels as high as possible.

Time is running out to get a home win and once again this feels like a massive chance. Off the back of a positive result against MK, this can't become another missed opportunity/false dawn.

• Like 4

Pre Harrogate press conference from Stuart.

He has a plan to counter the style of Harrogate, who are one of the form teams in the Division.

Looks like we will see a variation of playing style from Notts in this game to counter Harrogate's aggressive press. Good to see.

I think Stuart is starting to look much more relaxed & confident in the last two interviews I've seen.l from him 

Looks like he may have had word that he is secure in his job at least till the beginning of next season.

• Like 1

This will be an interesting one.  For the last couple of seasons we have always struggled against teams that set up to defend and catch us on the break.  Our attack always seems to become predictable and pedestrian and we pass around the back until we make a mistake.  Sorting out a better attacking approach would certainly help the defence in this case! 

• Like 4

Supporter+

@Ohh Tommy Johnson I agree, the best form of defence is attack in my opinion. We need to carry on like we did against MK Dons, get the crowd onside early, close down quickly when we haven’t got the ball and play with a high tempo getting the ball out to the wingers who can hopefully put some crosses on for Jatta and Macca.

COME

ON

YOU

PIES

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@Ohh Tommy Johnson I agree about us becoming so predictable and pedestrian.

Of course it's easy to talk about making changes, another one doing it successfully, but I do hope Stuart may use these last five games as a good opportunity to finally counter the tactics that every team we meet employ against us and which unfortunately, has proved successful against us.

Finally we may see that elusive plan B on Saturday.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2024 at 10:40, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Looking at your Line up Ohh Tommy Johnson their isn't even a Full Bench would there be any harm in filling it with Youngsters? Even if they didn't get the Pitch the Experience of being chosen for the First team would be a Massive Boost to their Moral. It would give any Players with a niggle or illness a chance to recover, without having to play with their injury and make that injury worse. 

I realised I had run out of names (although I have forgotten Scott and TAR).  I would have both of them on the bench.  I left Didzy off because he doesn't seem fully fit, same with Bostock).    The Slocombe and Stone was just to highlight that I think our squad is struggling and picking up a lot of fatigue injuries or recovering from long term issues.  In reality I would absolutely put youngsters on the bench and if we are winning handsomely I wouldn't be afraid to give one, maybe 2 a few minutes. I wouldn't throw a youngster in to a lost cause though as I could imagine the atmosphere would be very toxic. My bench (assuming that we don't have Jones (family issues) and Chicksen (achilles) available would be: Slocombe, TAR, Scott, JoB, Sanderson, Gill, Bostock

• Like 3

Supporter+

Harrogate are on a 5 match unbeaten run. They are 4 points off the playoffs. They hammered Gillingham 5-1 in their last game. Notts were much improved against MK Dons but there are still areas where things can be much better. I don't we are capable of defending so again we may as well go for it. 

• Like 4

i hope we can pick up from the mk dons performance, away from home we have generally been better i feel. we have given good accounts of ourselves but the issue is the silly mistakes and decisions which lead to gifting goals away. i dont rate luca ashby-hammond, but would get behind whoever ends up in goal. i think he does suit the ball at his feet, but his commanding, distribution and positioning are not strong points for me.

also i think jatta should start ahead of mcgoldrick, i think he offers much more and we may benefit from having some experience come on later in the game as a way to manage things.

• Like 3

With only five games left, it would be pleasant to end up in the middle of the table or slightly above. Given that we have more games away than at home, I believe we stand a good chance of securing some victories. It’s always a surprise to see how much better we perform on the road these days.

I anticipate a tight game as they are familiar with our style of play, which could pose a challenge. However, if we dominate the attacks, I believe we have the quality to pull off a surprise. I have high hopes for Macaulay Langstaff and Alessandra Jata.

Personally, I wouldn’t field David McGoldrick or John Bostock from the start as their performances have been problematic. Their brilliance hasn’t been on display for some time, and considering McGoldrick is likely our top earner, we should expect more from him. I believe we are more likely to see this if he comes off the bench in this game, rather than playing for 70 minutes.

• Like 2

Just one change for Notts with Bostock coming in for an injured Robertson.

The strongest team that Notts could field. Glad Jatta has been kept in the starting line up.

Robertson has arguably been our best player since the new year, so he will be missed.

Not entirely convinced that Bostock is fully fit. Looks like we will see Jodi and Didzy at some stage.

It is the strongest side we could put out due to injuries and fitness, so I'm hopeful that we will get a positive result today.

Supporter+

A well deserved victory against a side who were in form. Pity that's there's nothing left to play for. I suppose we can always laugh at Mansfield......

• Like 2