County cock ups

gtownjohnno

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  368
  • Days Won:  1

Lots of talk about our defenders making individual mistakes but 1 serious question I'd like answers to............... How come in all the matches I've watched over the last 3 seasons I don't remember any opposition defenders making similar cock ups...... Anybody know why that hasn't happened???? 

• Confused 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,506
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I believe it's time to think about the positives now with just 5 games to go. Notts can't change the past, but they can influence the future.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

It's partly the system we play which exposes the defence and puts pressure on the individuals which is why we see our defence making mistakes.  In addition, our midfield and forwards are often not so mobile so giving fewer outlets to move the ball upfield rapidly, so we invite pressure as we pass around the back until the pressure tells and we make a mistake.  I would say our second on Monday was straight from our playbook where they passed around the back until their goalkeeping  passed straight out to Chicksen. The last goal they left Jones without a marker too,  The thing is we tend not to analyse or defensive lapses that led to our goals unless they are calamitous, I suspect that MKD fans won't have noticed or cared about the mistake from Macari that led to their 3rd (Baldwin stepped up to put their player offside, but Macari didn't playing him onside), or the amount of time their attacker had in the box to score for their 2nd. We have got into the habit of bashing our defence for every goal, whereas most of the time the mistakes are marginal, and we don't give the opposition enough credit for oppositions forcing the errors. 

I think we do have defenders that can defend, but maybe not so well in the system we play.  They may not be world class defenders, but I am sure in a more traditional defence where they need to make fewer decisions they would be fine.  Unfortunately the way we are set up as a club, if we went for a more traditional defensive style (tackle and get rid) our attack would struggle and we may not see such an improvement as we would expect.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

21 hours ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

I suspect that MKD fans won't have noticed or cared about the mistake from Macari that led to their 3rd (Baldwin stepped up to put their player offside, but Macari didn't playing him onside),

It was Warner mate, Macari had gone off by then.

A better keeper would help a lot. One that organises and is solid under the high ball, we haven’t had one since Carroll used to bark out his orders (he did go a bit far with his mouth sometimes). The goalkeeper is the one position that sees everything on the pitch and I’ve lost count as to how many times have we had players dispossessed because they are unaware of the pressure they’re under That’s because nobody in this side talks to one another, especially along the back line.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

18 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

It was Warner mate, Macari had gone off by then.

A better keeper would help a lot. One that organises and is solid under the high ball, we haven’t had one since Carroll used to bark out his orders (he did go a bit far with his mouth sometimes). The goalkeeper is the one position that sees everything on the pitch and I’ve lost count as to how many times have we had players dispossessed because they are unaware of the pressure they’re under That’s because nobody in this side talks to one another, especially along the back line.

My mistake.. but the point stands.  On the rest you have hit the nail firmly on the head.  We are not vocal at all.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Problem we've had for a few seasons, there's no leadership on the pitch and as @Fozzy as said, the goalkeeper should be much more vocal. The goalkeeper should command his area and defenders should be talking to each other too.

I always used to wonder why Luke Williams became hoarse shouting  from the sidelines, partly because there was no leadership or communication between the players.

This is an issue that has to be rectified next season. 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

other teams do make mistakes, if you watch the efl show you will see it. we tend to score good goals, which are build from good attacking play. there is little room for defenders to gift us goals when we play like this. to say that we are the only team making these mistakes is a bit odd. it happens even in the premier league.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@liampie you are right.

In the recent home match, the MK Dons goalie passed the ball straight to Chicksen on the left, who then ran down the line & crossed for Jatta to score our 2nd goal.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

@Robbie 

the goalkeeper was put under pressure and distributed a poor ball for suttons first goal.

defensively everyone stood ball watching in the swindon defence, with some players hoping it was offside. not much defending here.

their second what was the swindon keeper doing again?

the third goal for sutton comes from a lack of defending too.

if we needed further proof of defences just standing still when they are needed, this 100% proves that.

• Like 1