Match Discussion: Game 44 - The Saddlers (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

This Notts team doesn't need to fear any team in league 2. They are capable of beating any one on their day.

The Stockport game in mid week is a great opportunity for Notts to show their metal against the best team in the league on results.

This Notts team is now Stuart Maynard's team. The spectre of Luke Williams has now gone and the team are clearly playing the way Stuart and his coaching team want Notts to play.

Clearly, changes needed to strength the side for next season are required and we have been assured by Stuart that this is already in the works.

The individual players have also clearly upped their performance levels and this can only be good for next season too. 

Exciting times ahead for next season I think.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

Pretty impressive to only have three shots on target and score them all! Maybe that makes up for all the bad luck we've had.

It sounded like a decent performance but I don’t think their keeper really had to too much to do other than just pick the ball out of the net three times. That said Ashby-Hammond wasn’t that troubled either but it did sound like there were a few scrambles in the box that just didn’t fall Walsall’s way. Stuart Maynard was impressed in his post-match interview and I’m glad things seem to have turned in his favour. Be interesting to read the comments from those who went/watched.

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

Robbie

On their Day Notts can beat any team in the League True. The trouble is they didn't do it enough during this season. I think this is still Luke Williams team because most played under him, it will be Maynard's Team once New Players come into the Notts Squad and are able to adopt to his playing system. I think one of the Strange things regarding Maynard's system is Why Did It Take So Long For Players To  Adapt  To?  He was after all Hired by the Brothers because his Coaching and Footballing game plan was similar  to LW 's, and I think everyone was hoping for a Smooth transition Club Officials and Fans alike, it seems as Maynard tried to tighten thinks up at the back, the Attack forgot how to score goals, then when he turned his attention back to the Forwards the Defence dropped back into their Old Habits, it now seems (hopefully) Maynard as found a Happy Balance and the team are back to playing has a Unit. It's Not the Finished Article by any means, but with some more New Players with current EFL experience drafted in at the Lane all under 30 years old, then the Magpies future could look very Bright Indeed.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

When I said that this team was Maynard's, what I'm saying is that the team is playing the way Maynard wants them to play and the fact that they are clearly playing for him and his coaching team.

Yes, the players would have been at Notts before Stuart arrived, however, Stuart's way of working is being followed and his plan for each game is being executed by the team, despite its limitations in some areas of the pitch.

Of course the team has to be improved and there are still problems that needs to be addressed but it looks like things are going in the right direction, because Stuart now has his team playing at a level above what they were producing just a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Very interesting the upturn in form recently, makes one think that the players were not happy about something and it has taken either something being said to them by the board, or the reaction they had from the fan base recently, resulting with the spats kicking off on social media.

Looking at the game, it still shows we are very open by allowing 21 shots on goal, compared to our 6, and Cameron was definitely to blame for their goal.  All he had to do was check his run and the Walsall player would have been a mile offside, but he played him on and never got anywhere near goal side.

Will take the 3 points gladly and also gloat in the fact the FGR are all but down. Who would have guessed that the poaching of Burchnall would have been the catalyst to their demise!

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
7 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Very interesting the upturn in form recently, makes one think that the players were not happy about something and it has taken either something being said to them by the board, or the reaction they had from the fan base recently, resulting with the spats kicking off on social media.

I think the players were maybe shell shocked by Williams leaving and collectively went into a bit of a depression a bit like a bereavement, it’s taken them a while to get over what must have been a real disappointment for them when he went because they were totally tuned in to his way of playing and leadership. They’ve now woke up to the fact that they have to move on and are taking onboard the things Maynard is trying to install.

• Like 1

Supporter+

I'm absolutely delighted for Stuart Maynard.

He has stuck to his principles and Notts find themselves 3 games unbeaten and with two wins on the spin.

The team is clearly on his side and playing for him.

And it also seems that Stuart is winning the Notts fans over too.

Just look at this celebration at the end of the game.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
25 minutes ago, Robbie said:

And it also seems that Stuart is winning the Notts fans over too.

There’s nothing like winning games to win the fans over but there will still be those waiting for the next loss to turn on him again, some fans can be so fickle.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  8,985
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Obviously pleased with the win, but some words of caution. Walsall had 21 shots, on 2 occasions I looked on in disbelief, why they hadn't scored. The final 30 minutes a case in point, if we are a good possession side, why couldnt we carve out some more goal scoring opportunities against 10 men. I left the game pleased but acknowledged it could well of been different

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

Lets Enjoy yesterday's Win. I'm pretty sure Stuart Maynard is well aware of Notts short comings (and his own) and will be working on improving the playing system and his own performance in becoming a Full Time Coach, lets hope that things are starting to Fall into place and with an Excellent Recruitment strategy Notts will be able to push on. 

It's interesting to Note how many times the Recruitment team have been mentioned over the months since the appalling January window , therefore Richard Montague needs to get his Act together and sign Players that can do the job in League 2 and potentially League 1. And lets also hope Stuart Maynard will have a say in which players are signed, because it comes across as that he doesn't it seems the Recruitment team look at the data of a certain player and if he fits the Notts system then he's signed and Stuart Maynard can Like it or Lump it. Having a say in who's signed will also help Stuart Maynard Grow into his Role as Notts Head Coach.

This off season may be one of the Most Important down at the Lane in Recent Years and could map out the Magpies future as to weather Notts are going to be a Team that will be one of mid table obscurity or  one that can push on into playoff contention or even Automatic Promotion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

Delighted for the team, the fans and Mr Maynard. It's important for us as a club to have a positive end to the season and instill the belief that we can be looking upwards next season. And so what if it was a bit jammy? Luck tends to even itself out.

• Like 3

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Notts started very brightly, looked comfortable on the ball and moved it around well. Defensively, we seemed organised and ready to cover wherever needed. Luca Ashby-Hammond did very well, as did Kyle Cameron and Aden Baldwin. Baldwin being the ball-playing defender, he looked very calm even when pressured and his decision-making when passing the ball was very good.

Dan Crowley is just a touch of magic, never worried about where he can go but will turn the opposition players inside out in order to make a good pass himself.

It was good to see us look for the forward pass, as when we did go backwards it wasn't frustrating or at the cost of being creative. Some of the long balls straight up to Alassana Jatta was a thing of beauty and almost worked, putting him straight through on at least two occasions.

There are a lot of comments about the players now wanting to perform better due to their contracts, I think this is weak excuses by those who can't give credit where it's due and simply a means to undermine the club - especially Stuart Maynard. Besides, if this was the case then all the fault on the defeats should fall down to the players instead of the manager, if they can turn it on and off. I fully disagree with these statements, as I feel it's hard work and finally things are working out better. You don't train and suddenly become better; it takes time. Walsall were very poor in the first half, and we simply outplayed them. Some of our fans need to learn to see the positives, it's a shame that we didn't get some of these results earlier, but it's football for you.

The biggest plus I saw, was hearing more fans sing at the end of the game to Stuart Maynard. Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley loved hearing their songs, but Maynard looked very emotional like it meant the world to him.

@Piethagoram I was sat right at the back of you, judging your pictures.

• Like 1
  • Love 3