Premier League Relegation Battle

Sheffield United are already relegated back to the Championship.

There are two relegation places yet to be decided 

There are three teams fighting to avoid those two places.

Those three teams are Luton, Burnley and Forest.

Those relegation places could be decided today & depending on results it could go on till the final game of the season.

Putting rivalry aside, I would like Forest to stay in the PL because that would be good for Notts financially.

The matches to watch.

3pm Start.

Spurs v Burnley 

West Ham v Luton

5:30pm Start

Forest v Chelsea.

If hadn’t been for the points deductions it would be a foregone conclusion really. It does feel like gap between the Championship and Prem is getting bigger and I’d be amazed if either Luton or Burnley stay up. I agree I don’t think forest staying up is that bad, their prices will continue rocket and most ordinary people won't be able to watch them, luckily there’s a better value team across the river…

It's likely you’ve got the three teams that went up going straight back down, and the potential champions have breached 115 rules. It’s the greatest league in the world, apparently.

• Like 1

@menzinho

It won't be good for the PL if all three that came up last season go down, but that's the reality of the PL at the moment. A level playing field in a 3 league PL is non existent.

The Yo Yo Club effect is going to become more and more common as the seasons go by.

West Ham 3 Luton 1.

Luton virtually relegated having a vastly inferior goal difference to Forest 

Forest remain 3 points ahead of Luton and Luton have just one game left.

Forest play Chelsea at 5:30 pm.

Forest 2 Chelsea 3

Forest lose after being in the lead with 15 minutes to go 

Forest 3 points clear of Luton and it would take a 12 goal turn around for Forest to get relegated now.

Stranger things have happened though.

Supporter+

Forest have almost certainly avoided relegation so no doubt there’ll be a civic reception, an 8 page pull out feature in the Nottingham Post and a special programme on radio nottingham.

Mathematically Luton are still in with a chance. Realistically they're relegated. Goal difference is too big of a gap to pull back now. Forest are maintaining Premier League status unless some sort of miracle for Luton happens on the day. 

It's a shame because Luton have put in so much effort this season and have been a joy to watch in the PL. Sheffield United and Burnley both deserved to go down. Sheffield United have shipped the most goals in PL history reaching over 100. Swindon shipped 100 goals in the PL but that was during a 42 game season, Sheffield United did it in 6 games fewer. Sheffield United have got to be one of the worst teams to be in the PL even worse than Derby. 

The 3 promoted teams that are going back down have been deemed the worst in PL history but I really think it's harsh on Luton for them to be included in that. 

@KB1862

I think we have to come back to the dreaded FFP rules again here 

I don't think those teams can compete on a fair basis, because of those unfair FFP rules. 

There has not been a bigger example of that unfairness than what we have seen this season with these three teams, who basically have had everything stacked against them financially.

@Robbie

I get your point, it's not fair on these clubs and it is a factor with the divide of classes in the PL but they have also spent big to try stay in the PL.

That's the big issue, having to spend big to try compete. 

So we come to the final day of Premier League season with all matches starting at 4pm.

The last relegation place is yet to be decided with Luton and Forest trying to survive for another season.

Forest are in the best position being out of the relegation places & 3 points ahead of Luton with a much superior goal difference, (12 goals), so Forest are in prime position to survive.

But we all know that football is a funny game and the least likely scenario sometimes does happen.

What we do know is Luton need to win and Forest need to lose, for Luton to have any chance at all of saving themselves. Then goal difference comes into play.

Could we see a massive shock of momentus proportions?

So Forest survive for another season.

Forest beat Burnley 2:1 & Luton lost to Fulham 2:4.

Forest survive by six points, would have been 10 if no point deductions.

Forest staying in the PL is good for Notts. Forest prices keep going up and up & Notts can cash in & get the floating supporter, who may become a commited Notts supporter.

Supporter+
14 hours ago, Robbie said:

Forest staying in the PL is good for Notts. Forest prices keep going up and up & Notts can cash in & get the floating supporter, who may become a commited Notts supporter.

I agree but Notts need to get back to playing their attractive football scoring lots of goals and most of all winning games, floating supporters of Forest aren’t going to come to Notts to watch us lose, they might end up at Mansfield, it’s imperative we keep our best players and have a good season.