Club Rivalries

Tonight, Spurs play Manchester City in a game that has much at stake. Manchester City will go top heading into the final game of the season if they win but if Spurs win not only do they give themselves a chance at Champions League football but they would also put their North London rivals, Arsenal, in the drivers seat for the Premier League title. 

There's been a lot spoken about whether or not Spurs could help out their rivals and whether their fans would want that to happen. 

What do you guys think to this situation? Would you still want your team to get the win even if it meant helping your nearest rivals?

Personally, I agree with Ange's take on this situation. I wouldn't want my team to lose even if it benefited a rival team. I'm not sure why anyone would happily sit back and want their team to lose. Plus, Villa dropped 2 points last night so Spurs have a little chance. Had Villa won last night it would have been a different situation and they wouldn't have CL football to play for but even still surely you'd still want your team to get a win.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Any fan that would want their team to lose because it would mean their local rival wouldn't win the league are frankly being childish and damn right stupid as far as I'm concerned.

And to want City to win who are facing 115 charges of breaking FFP rules is just unforgivable.

How could you ever look at your own team and not feel absolute shame for wanting them to lose when your team has a chance of qualifying for the Champions league?

It's totally unbelievable.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Robbie 

Spot on with every point made here. 

This scenario also brought a clip from 2019 to light when Arsenal fans were asked whether they'd lose their Europa League tie with Chelsea if it meant Spurs losing the Champions League Final to which most of them said they'd rather lose the Europa League than see Spurs win the Champions League. 

No matter what the implications are, you should always back your club to win. 

Ange is baffled and annoyed by the situation and quite honestly I can't blame him. There's a clip of him doing the rounds arguing with a fan from the technical area. Not sure what was said but I'm guessing it relates to this thing about wanting to lose. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

Another thing too @KB1862 the Spurs players must have been affected by the fact that their fans had openly said on the media, (who in fact had been pushing this narrative), that they wanted their Spurs team to lose, and the strange atmosphere at the match would have been so disconcerting for the Spurs team too.

The players and their Manager cannot be happy with this situation, and we've probably not heard the end of it.

• Like 1

@Robbie

Apparently Spurs fans were doing the Poznan, which is City's fans thing, when City scored their first and second.

There's also a clip doing the rounds from TalkSport last night where Jamie O'Hara (a man that defends Spurs all the time, always backs them and wants them to go forward) was wearing a Man City top and celebrating both goals. Strange behaviour.

• Like 1

Supporter+

The Spurs Manager @KB1862 looked very disappointed in his interview. I believe he may be gone when the season ends.

The money that Spurs may have got from playing in the Champions league next season, with the extra advertising revenue, TV fees & international recognition would have been in the millions.

For fans to be prepared to throw that all away for the sake of childish Club rivalry is truely bizarre.

@Robbie

Imagine the scenes though if Villa lose at the weekend and Spurs win. They would have had CL football with a win against City so for their fans, as you've quite rightly mentioned, to want their team to throw that away is plain bizarre.

The thing is Ange is saying all the same things Mourinho and Conte both said about the club, just in a different way. 

I like Ange, he's a manager who speaks his mind talks well and has a desire to win. He really wants to be the best and has a plan but I don't think Spurs deserve him, especially with how their fans have been over the past 48 hours. 

• Like 1

My take on it is people have their own minds and can make it up however they feel. If they feel it makes it worthwhile their team losing to nobble a rival, so what?. Wouldn't want Notts to lose, but it's their team, not mine.

@DonnyNotts everyone has an opinion. No opinion can be wrong but in my opinion, I find it strange to see fans wanting their team to lose to stop a rival even when they have chance at gaining something from a win. Look how the results played out afterwards, had they won they'd be looking forward to champions league football next season. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

I can’t imagine that knowing some fans wanted them to lose would affect how the Spurs players would perform, they are professional footballers and as such should go into every game trying to win, at least you’d hope so. I can’t imagine the players view the rivalry between Arsenal and Spurs the same as the fans do.

Supporter+

@Fan of Big Tone Just imagine if a team was playing at home and the fans were so quiet and the team could see their manager arguing with Spurs fans on the touchline.

That actually happened during the Spurs v Man City match.

Psychologically this must have had an effect on the Spurs players and would have had a detrimental affect on their performance during the match, that would have only helped Man City.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/05/2024 at 08:34, KB1862 said:

@DonnyNotts everyone has an opinion. No opinion can be wrong but in my opinion, I find it strange to see fans wanting their team to lose to stop a rival even when they have chance at gaining something from a win. Look how the results played out afterwards, had they won they'd be looking forward to champions league football next season. 

Guess they didn't have much faith that they could have made it. 

• Like 1