• 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154

Supporter+

The Champions League final at Wembley on the first of June will be contested between German side Borussia Dortmund & Spanish side Real Madrid.

The winners will qualify to play Europa League winners Atalanta in the 2024 UEFA Super Cup.

Real Madrid are looking to win their 15th European Cup/ Champions League trophy.

Borussia Dortmund will be hoping to win their 2nd Champions League trophy.

I am hoping that we see a great spectacle at Wembley Stadium and that Borussia Dortmund will be victorious.

• Like 1

Supporter+

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,427
  • Days Won:  287

Is anyone else watching this? It's ten minutes till kick-off and there's a pensioner on a stage singing. Methinks UEFA want to emulate the World Series. It's killed the atmosphere if nothing else.

Hope BVB deliver today. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

I think it  was much better when the Champions League was the European Cup a knock Competition between only the Champions of each Country. But as stated now it's all down to Money and Greed. Looking at this years final Dortmund only finished 5th in the German Bundesliga at least Madrid are Champions in the true sense of the word. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

To be fair Dortmund could quite easily have come into this season's CL as champions, they only missed out on goal difference last season. I agree that only champions should be taking part though. 

Now we've had what looks like influencers on the pitch taking selfies. This is too modern for me, I'll just shake my head along with the boomers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BVB have already had two fantastic chances to take the lead, Real look vulnerable.

The cup's got Real's name on it, hasn't it? 

• Like 2

Supporter+

Half time 0:0

Dortmund look the better side, but you right off Madrid at your peril.

I'd rather the tournament be a competition for Champions only, but just for tonight I hope Dortmund can pull it off.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Final score.

Dortmund 0 Madrid 2. Madrid win their 15th Champions League/European Cup

• Sad 1

I won't claim to be a clairvoyant with my prediction earlier, you could see it coming a mile off. Real struggled to deal with Dortmund's attacking threat in the first half, but BVB failed to take advantage. Real are dangerous because they can always move up a gear or two, and usually do.

It's a shame, but worse things happen at sea. Bring on the proper football in August! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Dortmund had their chances and they looked impressive in the first half, but Madrid are always dangerous even on an off day, & it turned out like that.

Overall I think Dortmund were the better side but Madrid took their chances when they came.

15 Champions League/ European Cup trophies is awesome. 

Bellingham needs to deliver for England now in the Euros .

• Like 1

Supporter+
15 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

I think it  was much better when the Champions League was the European Cup a knock Competition between only the Champions of each Country. But as stated now it's all down to Money and Greed. 

I prefer the the champions league should be a champions only knockout competition how it used to be.

Unfortunately I don't think it would ever happen because, as you said, it is all about money & greed. 

And I will add that it is also about making more and more money. UEFA have already decided to make the competition bigger.

"The 2024/25 UEFA Champions League will be the first under the new 36-team league phase format, with two of the additional four places to be filled by the European Performance Spots. Last updated at 09:00 CET on Monday 27 May" (Google)

This new format will generate even more money for the big clubs.

But I believe the competition will be devalued even more by this change, but the big clubs won't mind. They will still be in the competition when the Quarter finals are staged.

I disagree that Dortmund were the better side @Robbie, Real are masters at cranking up the pressure at just the right time and Dortmund didn't have an answer to it. You sensed they needed to score at least one of those chances in the first half, as you just knew that Madrid would turn it on when it mattered. Unfortunately this season Dortmund have shown themselves to be prone at the back, and Real are ruthlessly effective.

About the Champions League, I think UEFA have managed to turn their premier competition into a version of the UEFA Cup, and the next changes will make it even more bloated. It's all about guaranteeing that the biggest clubs don't miss out and get as many games as possible. 

Supporter+
7 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

@Robbie

About the Champions League, I think UEFA have managed to turn their premier competition into a version of the UEFA Cup, and the next changes will make it even more bloated. It's all about guaranteeing that the biggest clubs don't miss out and get as many games as possible. 

I totally agree on this..

I don't know why they didn't keep the UEFA Cup, the Cup Winners Cup & European Cup in their original format. Lots of money would still have been generated.

But of course UEFA want to ward off more talk of a Super League breakaway.

That's why they have increased the number of clubs in the Champions League.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

You're so right Mate, 36 teams in the Champions League, will devalue the competition in fact really they'll have to rename it. How about the European Super League? That's what UEFA is trying to do, bring in the Super League via the Back Door. As you've stated before UEFA aren't going to give up this money spinning idea , the Super League will come about one way or another and the 36 team Champions League is just another attempt to get it up and running.

And what will happen? We'll get the moaning and groaning from the Premiership, The season's to long our players are tired playing all these extra games it means more chance of injuries to our players.  And of course the FA with bend over backwards to accommodate the whining winging Premier League Prima Donna's and the rest of the English game will suffer.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Until the 72 clubs of the EFL have effective equal voting rights with the 20 in the PL league, nothing will change regarding the steady unstoppable path to an eventual Euro Super League.

There has even been talk about the Championship morphing into a PL 2 league, that would split the football league power base even more firmly into the FA Premier League's corner.