Issue with some England fans

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I can imagine quite a few people agreeing, sadly because there's a lot of people who are against Gareth Southgate (perhaps lack a real understanding of the game).

There are some points which I would agree with, but I feel the video is pandering to those who have no clue.

Southgate wasn't the issue as to why Serbia grew into the game. No changes were made after we scored, changes if anything happened too late and at a point where our players allowed the game to become more pressured for them.

Yes, he went defensive when Serbia started knocking on the door.

It's a fair point about not subbing Harry Kane, however, Kane plays because he's a quality striker and just needs one chance. The issue was the lack of him. We could have switched strikers, but that wouldn't have resolved the creativity issue.

Phil Foden was very average, as were some of the players who were inconsistent as the game progressed.

The criticism is laughable.

"I'm not wrong." Oh boy. How deluded do you have to be to think you're the sole answer? Yes, Gareth Southgate is frustrating but every manager is. I wouldn't have taken Harry Kane off; I would have switched formations to bring on another striker. Southgate isn't afraid to make changes. He sees things differently, but it's not his fault we haven't won something. It's down to him that we have been more successful, asking the media to put pressure on him is such a clueless thing to say.

Our press does it by default...

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

Personally I think the Guy has some good points 

But we all have different opinions and that's what makes the Football World Go Round.

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,489
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Gareth Southgate has his own way of doing things. He makes the decisions regarding style of play and the tactics 

If things go wrong he is rightly going to be questioned by the media and the fans, that goes with any Football Manager/Head Coach.

I've never been aware that the FA who employ Southgate, have stipulated the style of football that England should play so what we see of England, style & tactics, Southgate owns it.

Personally I would like to see England being more adventurous and when they go ahead, have the confidence to go on and kill the game instead of becoming defensive minded.

Whether we agree or not, I believe that the teams propensity to revert to going defensive after taking a lead has cost us dearly, EG, the last Euros in England, & we saw it the other night too, which could have been costly.

• Like 7

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,898
  • Days Won:  5

Some points are valid, but they’re not entirely accurate. The claim that Southgate became too defensive with substitutions after scoring doesn’t add up. Did we become more defensive after the goal or after 15 minutes? Goals naturally change the game’s flow. The argument loses strength and comes off as a rant against Gareth Southgate rather than constructive criticism. It’s important to recognise that Southgate has played a key role in making England a strong international team again.

• Like 6

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  461
  • Days Won:  2

The critic doesn’t offer any real alternatives, only suggesting that Harry Kane shouldn’t play the full match. That seems odd to me. Kane should only be substituted if he’s not playing well, he’s hurt, or if the game plan requires it. Also, the remark about Serbia looking unlikely to score was quite amusing.

• Like 4

England needs to learn how to control the game and grow into it, some of which Gareth Southgate is responsible for. However, much comes down to the players themselves. More support for Kane is something which I think would benefit England, there's no issue with him dropping back but to say he'd sacrificing his game by doing it sounds like an excuse.

Those that suggest Grealish would make us more direct, he didn't make the cut for a reason.

There's players who can make a difference but are inconsistent, unless we dominate. Bellingham played very well, he was always involved until he was taken off. Part of the issue I feel, comes down to poor padding decisions. Mind, it's not as bad as Scotland's. 😂

Play it forward and don't be afraid to have runs, take on players. Careful control and possession does help, but for confidence it grows with attacking and not inviting play against yourself.

• Like 5

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  495
  • Days Won:  1

I find it difficult to take certain YouTube channels seriously when they prioritize flashy thumbnails over the substance of their videos. The focus on presentation seems to outweigh the actual content and points being made.

In particular, there’s a noticeable bias in how the presenter evaluates England’s performance in the opening match. The manager is squarely blamed for any shortcomings, creating a very one-sided perspective.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Days Won:  2

I don’t believe Gareth Southgate is the one being overly cautious. It’s the England players who seem to lose control during matches. Foden and Kane could have been substituted, although Kane’s knack for scoring is undeniable. Southgate should focus on improving how his team controls the game, maintaining the initial 20-minute momentum for longer periods and avoiding careless mistakes.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

On 18/06/2024 at 18:44, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Personally I think the Guy has some good points 

But we all have different opinions and that's what makes the Football World Go Round.

he starts off the bat blaming gareth southgate, if this was a narrow win against germany it would be celebrated as a genius decision. no tactics were changed after england scored, it forced serbia to come out. the goal came at a point where england should have got a second, but because they was not creative enough going forward it invited serbia to be braver.

i would agree that we should be in a good position to win the euros but the squad needs to be braver.

• Like 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

Reading the comments on this Topic I will ask So where and with whom does the Buck Stop? Southgate or the Players?

Southgate picks the team (with players not playing in the position they play with their Club) deploys the Game Plan and Tactics. England score and Go back into Negative mode. Teams such as Italy Germany Spain on the other hand go in search of a 2nd or even 3rd Goal. They Go Out to kill off the Opposition. The 3 Lions on the other hand  tend to sit back and invite pressure. Realistically if it had been one of the Top Teams England has faced the other evening instead of Serbia, I am fairly Certain England would have lost the match playing as they Did.

Southgate seems to stick with his same tactics regardless, he doesn't appear to be able to change things around or is Determined Not To. Hence the critique from the likes of the Fan in the Video. He doesn't offer alternatives, Well No He's Not the England Manager and if he had put in his thoughts of how England could improve, would the England Camp watch the video Throw up their Arms and say Of Course this is where we're going wrong, this Guy as all the answers. No he's offering an opinion and when it's all said and done, it doesn't matter what I think about how England played, it doesn't matter what everybody else in this thread think how England played or what the Guy in the video thinks , opinions are like A*** Holes everybody's as got one.

Finally I'll add this Like an awful lot of Teams both League and International England have NO Leader On The Pitch, a player who can take charge make things happen, a Player who can Inspire  Control and Encourage his Team Mates, to Win Vital Matches.

• Like 2

Supporter+

The buck stops with the Manager/Head Coach. He or she has to take the ultimate responsibility.

If the players back off after scoring and go deeper and deeper when defending, if there is a tenancy  to go negative, then it is up to that Manager/ Head Coach to stamp it out 

The Manager/ Head Coach is responsible for the style the tactics and the performance, end of.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's the players, perhaps Gareth Southgate could work on the formation but I would safely assume this is fine during training. It's easy to blame just one person, but it's the players who make poor in-game decisions. The passing hasn't been good enough, we are not direct enough. So far, Southgate has tried to inject energy and a bit more fight.

It seems to be having an impact, but I believe we are a very nervous nation - that over thinks every aspect of our play (from the players perspective). Which the players just need a bit of confidence.

We are setup to not be easily beaten, but that doesn't stop poor passes - that leads to interceptions from going into the back of our net. However, our weakest area on the pitch is the defence.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

England supporters could learn from Scottish fans, who show unwavering passion and support for their team. Criticising in such a public manner is all too common among England fans. They need to consider the effects of their words. The team’s uninspiring performances are a let down, and Gareth Southgate needs to broaden England’s approach beyond a narrow, defensive mindset.

• Like 1

Supporter+

I agree @BromPie that England's recent performances have been uninspiring, but the fans shouldn't have need to criticise if the team played with passion & commitment in the second biggest tournament they will ever play in.

If they can't play like that they shouldn't be wearing the England shirt.

Just remember these players get millions of pounds in wages every year. We must expect much more from them and the Head Coach.

• Like 1