Match Discussion: PSF - The Chairboys (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

PSF - The Chairboys (A)

Team: Wycombe Wanderers

Date: 13/07/2024

Where: Adams Park

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

This friendly match will be a step up from the Alfreton match seeing that Wycombe are a league one club.

I would like to see Stuart play as close to what he believes is his first eleven at least for the first half and his second string in the second half.

I would like to see Junior Morias start upfront with Scott with a strong midfield to support them.

We didn't see Austin, Robertson, McDonald, Tsaroulla or Jatta figure in the Alfreton match so I'm wondering if they have the little niggles that prevented them both from playing?

Key areas for Notts will be defence & attack. Notts could do with a good defensive performance against a reasonable league one side.

I would like to see Macari, Bedeau & Platt at the back playing together with Alex Bass as the goalkeeper.

We may see more trialists playing for Notts too, however I would love to see how the new players perform together, because those players are hopefully going to make the difference for Notts this season.

I'm hoping for us not to concede even if it's a 0:0 draw.

• Like 6

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

it will be part teams again, as i would imagine they want to see what the trialists offer and what might be needed in terms of further recruitment. it wont be until the later stages of friendlies until we go first team minded but i would not mind seeing it.

there was some good spells against alfreton, where the link play looked quite encouraging.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

Wycombe will likely approach the game in the same way we will, so there might not be much to take from the friendly. As fans, we don’t need to pay too much attention, just keep an eye on the trialists and see how they perform. There are a few who, if they perform well against Wycombe, might be offered a contract.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,319
  • Days Won:  1

It will be interesting to see which trialists stand out against a League One team. The outcome and performance aren’t as important as gaining insights to ensure the squad is ready for the upcoming season. Doing well in friendlies is a bonus, but not a necessity.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I’ve been trying to work out what PSF means, I’ve just worked it out Pre Season Friendly, :doh: you’ll have to excuse me I’m a bit slow on the uptake. 😜

As others have said this will be another step to build fitness, look at players etc., but I’m sure some folk on Twitter, Facebook etc. will probably call for Maynards head if we don’t win by at least 4-0. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

people would ask @Dan i noticed on social media, as he puts psf in his album titles. its obvious but easy to go unnoticed.😂

wycombe will be a good test, they have some championship quality from their time there and are a progressive league one team. it will give the players something to match in terms of fitness but a good chance for players to catch the head coaches eye. stuart maynard will know who his best 11 is, its just a case of those sealing those places heading into the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Content Count:  3,376
  • Days Won:  17
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Pre-season friendlies are essentially a warm-up. People often don’t realise that players are given specific instructions, such as being told to sit deeper to strengthen the defence. This allows the club to assess their defensive capabilities. I’m aware that under other regimes, fans and the board were thrilled when we dominated non-league teams and won every friendly. However, this only leads to unrealistic expectations among those who are easily impressed and the same individuals who complain when things don’t go as planned.

The match against Wycombe will provide valuable insights for the club and Stuart Maynard. I anticipate a closely contested game.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Supporter+

@TheSkipper according to reports Junior was impressive against Alfreton, so I would  like him to get plenty of game time in these friendlies, because I think he could play a big part in the regular season if given the opportunity.

And unfortunately, we have supporters who follow Notts that want to win every single game they play, whether friendly or competitive.

They don't care whether it's experimentation by the Manager or not. They just don't understand that concept and will be quick to criticise Stuart if they think it is an inept performance.

To them every game should be seriously competitive.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,666
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

22 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I’ve been trying to work out what PSF means, I’ve just worked it out Pre Season Friendly, :doh: you’ll have to excuse me I’m a bit slow on the uptake. 😜

As others have said this will be another step to build fitness, look at players etc., but I’m sure some folk on Twitter, Facebook etc. will probably call for Maynards head if we don’t win by at least 4-0. 🙄

For some years, in my work, PSF stood for Pre Shipment Finance!🙃

• Haha 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The thing about Junior Morias is he's very fast; when he has been given games this has caused teams to almost fear him getting the ball. Having a striker that can gain this type of attention can be a good thing, so hopefully he catches Stuart Maynards eyes more within the pre-season.

Most fans will be curious about the trialists and players who might make an appearance before signing.

Wycombe will be a good test for much of our squad, but the results aren't important and neither is the performance - it's not something you can reasonably rate. I do think on an individual level you can. It is also encouraging to see good play, but if it's inconsistent, which a lot of friendlies are, it's more a training exercise. 

• Love 4

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,483
  • Days Won:  9

It will be a good test. I’m always curious to see how we perform against teams that are at a higher level than us. Playing against Wycombe will provide valuable insight for the club. Hopefully, fans will show patience as we head into the new season, particularly with Stuart Maynard. There’s no need for any drastic changes at the moment, and friendlies shouldn’t result in calls for his dismissal.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  54

As it's behind closed doors I'm hoping Notts will be recording it and can put some sort of highlights out after the match.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Jatta is in the side today 

• Like 2

Supporter+

Good half for Notts with Jatta featuring.

Supporter+

• Like 1

Supporter+

• Like 1

Supporter+

Supporter+

Supporter+

Stuart Maynard s take on the 1:0 win over Wycombe today.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  54

I know it's only pre-season but a result like that is definitely encouraging. Assuming like us they put out a mix of pros and youngsters, the level of the Wycombe team will be a lot better than Alfreton.

Love to know who the trialist was that scored, judging by the team-sheet I'd say it was the trialist midfielder (although given our gun-ho attack at times you can't 100% rule out that the trialist defender scored it!) Elliot Thorpe could be the guy given he played against Alfreton...

There’s is a picture online that shows Haji Mnoga played in the game, first half as he's playing in defence behind Gordon. He's a player that you would say is in a similar situation to Alex Kirk, in that he needs to join a team and settle down to properly start his career. However, given they both play primarily in the RCB spot you’d think we’d only have a spot for one them... Hard to know who has the better potential. Kirk wouldn’t have stayed at Arsenal for as long as he had if they didn’t think he’d have a chance of making it. Whilst Mnoga is a year old he's played a lot more professional games and even featured internationally for Tanzania. I’m glad I don’t have to be the one who has to decide, if indeed we do eventually sign one of them!

• Like 1
  • Love 1