Could He Be Successful Today?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,139
  • Days Won:  17

Of Whom am I speaking? Most PON Members will know or have an idea.

Could Notts County's Greatest Ever Manager Jimmy Sirrel  be a Success in the Modern Game?

If he was alive today do you my fellow PON Members, think the Great Jimmy Sirrel would be able to Adopt to the way the Game is Now Played and bring Promotion to the Lane? Or do you think he was a Product of the Era in which he Managed and Modern Football wouldn't be his Cup of Tea?

• Like 6

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

He was ahead of his time in many ways, and his success in the modern game might depend on various factors. I think Brian Clough may have struggled to match his past success with how the game changed in the 90s and up to this point. I would like to think Jimmy Sirrel could do wonders in the lower levels. Cloughie may have been more like Neil Warnock, successful in relative terms but not to the same degree as in their real-life careers.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,465
  • Days Won:  165
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I think Jimmy Sirrel would have done well in this era, the only caveat to that assumption would be the perpensity of modern day owners to have a Head Coach rather than a Manager.

Like Cloughie, Jimmy was good at spotting talent & building successful teams based on good defence & good attacking prowess 

I think that Jimmy would want to be solely responsible for recruitment & rely on scouts to advise him on players he was interested in. In fact, he would like to be the man at the top.

I think that is why Managers of a bygone era might struggle to adapt to the new way of doing things now, however Jimmy had character & a sense of humour, & I'm sure that would have put him in good stead to succeed in 2024.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i would not be able to say either way because hes before my time and i dont know how he would personally approach managing a team in the modern day. i think its interesting to see what people have to say, but i dont know.

• Like 4

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

I have no doubt Jimmy could have been a successful league manager in his time. He might even have been able to get an underdog team into the Premier League, but I think his most success would come within the EFL. He knew how to get players performing and was a strong speaker who had high expectations. He wouldn’t settle for anything less than commitment from his players. This makes me think he would be successful to a degree.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  133
  • Days Won:  0

I can see him being more of a head coach than an actual manager, and I think he would be fantastic at it. He knows what it takes to make players perform together. His hands-on approach in training should earn the respect of players. He’s knowledgeable and had a great understanding of how teams played.

Certainly, I feel he could have adapted to be a very good head coach in modern football. To what extent? I am not sure, but I think there’s no denying the qualities that Jimmy Sirrel had.

• Like 2