Missing Trophies

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,159
  • Days Won:  17

Right my fellow PON Members I'm going to have to ask for some help on this one. There's been a New Cup tournament Invented brought about or such, that being the National League Cup, to be played between National League sides and Premier u21 sides. Much to the Chagrin of a few of the National League sides. This got me thinking, what about all those Trophies that used to be around but are No longer played for? Some that I name may still be played for but under another name, so with your help lets see how Many Missing Trophies we can come up with.

The Anglo/Italian Cup. Had to be number 1, as this Trophy sits in the Trophy Cabinet at Meadow Lane. 

The Anglo/Scottish Cup. I'm not sure this was a Competition, it's just I seem to remember Derby being involved in it in the 1970's.

The Watney Cup. Another Trophy Competition I remember Derby being apart of in fact I believe they were the First ever Winners.

The Fairs Cup. This Trophy may have a different name now, but if memory serves this was the first European Trophy won by Don Revie Leeds side.

The Intertoto Cup. This European Trophy also may now have a Different name.

The Home Internationals Championship. Played for by the Home Countries of England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland.

The County Cup. A trophy which always seemed to involve the Magpies and the Red Dogs across the Trent. This Trophy was played for long before I became a Notts Fan. I don't know if any other teams were involved or Not.

The Brian Clough Memorial Trophy. I know after Cloughie's Death Derby and Forest used to play for this Cup. I Don't Know if it Still Is?

Well there you have my fellow PON Members. Apologies if I've got any wrong or you know that the Trophies are still played for but under a New Name. I'd be Interested to know of any other Trophies that used to have place on the Footballing Calendar but are No Longer contested.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,572
  • Days Won:  168
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I can give you three Cup competitions in one that have become no more. The Full Members' Cup was a cup competition held in English football from 1985/92. It was also known under its sponsored names of the Simod Cup from 1987/89 and the Zenith Data Systems Cup from 1989/92. The advent of the PL basically killed it.

PS. Don't forget Mansfield was included in the County Cup.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,572
  • Days Won:  168
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I also remember the Football League Centenary Tournament in 1988 to celebrate the centenary of the football league.

The tournament was won by Brian Clough's Forest.

• Like 1