Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has been jailed

Chris

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has been jailed for three-and-a-half years for tax evasion.

<!--url{0}-->Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has been jailed for three-and-a-half years for tax evasion.

Prosecutors had hoped for a five-year sentence for the former West Germany international, who handed himself in to the authorities earlier this month after confessing to evading 18.5million Euros in taxes by using secret Swiss bank accounts to hide his income.

At the start of his trial on Monday, Hoeness declared he had provided all the evidence in his possession, and that he wanted all of the facts out in the open.

However, prosecutors claimed the sum was in excess of 27m Euros and when confronted with the new figure Hoeness' legal team admitted: "The defence considers the figures accurate; we do not challenge them."

Suspicions against Hoeness mounted last year as journalists and tax authorities began investigating his activities.

He paid 10m Euros in back taxes in January 2013 to lessen his debt to the state.

Players and staff at Bayern Munich continued to express their support for Hoeness throughout the trial.

Bayern winger Franck Ribery said: "You can't envisage Bayern without Hoeness. We need him."

Hoeness, a World Cup winner in 1974, helped turn Bayern into one of the world's most successful football teams, playing for and then managing the current European champions.

The maximum punishment for major tax fraud under German law is 10 years imprisonment.

Will this see a turn in the fortunes for Bayern? If this was an English team's chairman more would be made of this. I wasn't aware of this but it look bad, even with Ribery's comments.

@ivansneck?? Your thoughts (Our German League expert) ;)

Is this all his own personal taxes or are Bayern involved.Either way shocking. I wonder who else and how many  are being investigated .

As I understand it, it's his own personal tax issues, nothing legally to do with Bayern (unfortunatley, as for me they are a 'Hassverein'). I gather also that he has resigned. He did offer his resignation earlier, but it was turned down, as he is a very popular figure at the club.

Sad end to a glorious career, but totally self-inflicted.

I don't think the DFB will have considered what to do, until he was found guilty. I'm not sure also, what powers they would have should the club members vote him back in if he stands again, if he hasn't broken any DFB regulations.

Could be interesting if it happens...

I don't think the DFB will have considered what to do, until he was found guilty. I'm not sure also, what powers they would have should the club members vote him back in if he stands again, if he hasn't broken any DFB regulations.

Could be interesting if it happens...

Football should be kept clean, so any fraud etc should be within the rules and regulations.

How can you trust a conman? This said, it should be dropped once it's proven he's changed. As I am sure some will say that people like Lee Hughes shouldn't be able to play football.

Football should be kept clean, so any fraud etc should be within the rules and regulations.

How can you trust a conman? This said, it should be dropped once it's proven he's changed. As I am sure some will say that people like Lee Hughes shouldn't be able to play football.

i dont know how u can trust a conman but maybe u should ask ray trew since his right hand man is a f**king conman.

i dont know how u can trust a conman but maybe u should ask ray trew since his right hand man is a f**king conman.

Typical, absolutely typical. I laughed (I will be honest) but I don't think Rodwell's ever been punished, so there might be little to compare really.

Not sure his jail sentence will affect the team - Man Utd will get the chance to find out now!

I doubt it will, they have a strong squad and built around their own players. Manchester united will have to up their game, very weak defensively and that is enough to punish them.

I agree with comments made before mine, fraud should make them ruled out of the game.

I doubt it will, they have a strong squad and built around their own players. Manchester united will have to up their game, very weak defensively and that is enough to punish them.

I agree with comments made before mine, fraud should make them ruled out of the game.

I can't see why it would affect the players negatively at all. There may even be a 'let's win it for Uli' attitude.

i believe he was taking money from boston at least 2 get them in the crap and wouldnt be suprised if he aint from us either which is fraud and hes commiting fraud by making out he knows about football

I assume by 'I believe' you have no evidence.  He knows more about football that you and me together, however many mistakes we might think he's made.

I assume by 'I believe' you have no evidence.  He knows more about football that you and me together, however many mistakes we might think he's made.

i really doubt that he know less about football then all the people on this site put together.

he controls our signing which most are massive failures he appoints our managers yet again massive failures no i have no evidence but anyone contacted 2 boston united and there fans know he f**cked them up the ass and screwed them over with steve evans who was done for tax fraud so nah ive no evidence but when ur manager is done for fraud 2 do with ur club pretty obvious the chairman and s**twell in bostons case most of been involved.

i really doubt that he know less about football then all the people on this site put together.

he controls our signing which most are massive failures he appoints our managers yet again massive failures no i have no evidence but anyone contacted 2 boston united and there fans know he f**cked them up the ass and screwed them over with steve evans who was done for tax fraud so nah ive no evidence but when ur manager is done for fraud 2 do with ur club pretty obvious the chairman and s**twell in bostons case most of been involved.

In English please

Archived