Workmen in the house

Supporter+

As I said in another post we have a workman in the house doing our bathroom but is it just me who notices that workmen always seems to leave all the doors open because they are nipping out to their vans to get tools and equipment, it's been bloody freezing today in our living room, I kept shutting it but next time I looked it would be open again.

Having said that he is a really nice lad and works really hard, he has a radio on all day (don't they all) and it is smooth radio, I must say they have a good mix of my sort of music on there, I wouldn't have thought it would be to his taste, he is in his twenties I think, perhaps it depends who he is working for and because we are old fogey's (in his eyes) he sorts some appropriate music.

He certainly clears up after him, hoses down the drive, vacuums the carpets etc., I am impressed so far. :thumbsup:

He says I might get my garage back tomorrow when he starts to fit the bath and toilet, its in the garage along with the tiles and all his tools.

Generally most builders I know are decent like this, it's only the conman who think about other things and become lazy. Obviously some are, though when we moved into our home we didn't have any issues with the workmen.

The people who fitted our windows was great, unlike safestyle they didn't repeatedly have coffee breaks.

Only the window fitters played music, though being the spoil sport I am and the consideration I have for others around me I asked them to either turn it off or down. That said, I don't understand why they all do it because when I used to do this line of work I never listened to it. My focus was always on the job at hand and one of my old co-workers used to say 'it just helps pass the time'.

You've got a good worker Tony, I bet you decided to use the services very carefully though.

Supporter+

Yes we had several quotes before choosing this one, we sort of go with our gut feeling about the person, not necessarily the cheapest quote. This lad seemed really nice and eager to please, although I was a tad concerned when he said he wanted me to transfer half the money to his bank account so that he could buy the equipment. It was a considerable amount of money and we don't know him from Adam, he was happy with my suggestion that we pay for the materials direct and arrange delivery. I had visions of transferring the money and never hearing from him again. Lol.

He's here again today and cracking on with the work, hopefully finished next week some time.

Supporter+

Hope it all going well @tonyhateley. Is the new colour scheme black and white? :lol:

:rollonfloorlaughing:

The boss wouldn't allow it I'm afraid.

tip when handing money over, make sure there is a formal contract or written agreement. without something like this, he could have walked and not finished the job and you would be left to find someone else to finish the job.

you paying is a good suggestion tho.

Supporter+

Well we have another week before the bathroom is finally finished, he says he will finish on Friday. It will be good to get our house back again.

Supporter+

Yes, the Lord Mayor is coming to cut the ribbon and we are having a champagne reception. :rollonfloorlaughing:

Supporter+

Our invitation is in the post then?

Of course, I've got a barrel of Bishops Tipple for @super_ram because I knew he wouldn't want champagne. :angel:

A bath full of beer?Hope you're soon back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...
Supporter+

It is indeed @GrannyPie and it looks fabulous.

Its a big difference to our old one which was very '70s in style, It is fully tiled and we have a lovely big bath which I can actually submerge myself in and have a good soak, the old one was very narrow and not very deep so even when full the water didn't cover my ample proportions. :joker:

He's also put us a modern shower over the both which doesn't turn cold when a tap is running somewhere else in the house. If I was having a shower in the old bathroom Mrs. H. would have to wait to do anything until I had finished because if she turned a tap on there would be a lot of swearing coming from the vicinity of the bathroom as I got drenched in cold water.

He's also put us a heated towel rail instead of the old radiator, a modern toilet and washbasin and tiled the floor. Mrs. H. has put some jazzy blinds up to the window and we have bought a new toilet roll holder. We have to keep going into the bathroom to have a look and remind ourselves how good it looks.

Our man worked really hard and did a good job, nothing was too much trouble and I would recommend him to anyone who wants a bathroom or any other plumbing doing.

:thumbsup:

Archived