Beware parking in and around London

Supporter+

If you park in or around London and leave any wheels on the pavement area you will be liable to a fixed parking penalty. This picture  is what the traffic warden took of my car when I was parked in Ruislip, it cost me £110 or £55 if I pay within two weeks.

Be warned!

post-69-0-61377000-1397564408_thumb.png

Supporter+

Yes I agree about wheel chairs and also push chairs as we have found in the past. If i do park with wheels on the pavement I always make sure there is room to get past. There was a good wide pavement so it wasn't a problem, it's my own fault I should have been aware of the law in that area, I will pay the fine and put it down to experience.

Vehicles,dustbins and various forms of rubbish turn pushing Granny into the Krypton Factor assault course at times.I can't see a problem with your parking @tonyhateley,I just wish other people would be as considerate.

Supporter+

Sorry to say, but it should be nationwide as well, not just london. They will learn when they have a wing mirror hanging off.

I totally agree @4everapie, I wish it had been nationwide and then I would have known about it, when there are different rules for different parts of the country its little wonder that sometimes they get unknowingly broken.

Leicester have recently adopted this or are discussing the possibility, including strict and swift action to motorists who block driveways (including all the drop curb). I personally don't think you should, It's rude and bad manners. My grandfather would always keep clear, very mindful and I recall being told off by him for pipping the hooter of his car.

The thing that gets me half the time it's not even needed, some drivers say it's to be safe but it's no safer.

Those who park too close to corners, bumps and other highlighted areas should have points on their drivers license if caught! I'd throw the book at 'em. It's quite bad at Bulwell, you get idiots driving fast after market hours and they park up to withdraw cash. Lazy buggers!!

@tonyhateley no excuses! Don't do it again! ;):P

Supporter+

@tonyhateley no excuses! Don't do it again! ;):P

Sorry gaffer I won't do it again, I can't afford to. :biggrin:

I think there should be a law throughout the whole of the uk to get a fine for parking on the pavement or over dropped cerbes because then people cannot abuse how far on the pavement they park. Theres always someone who trys to push the law to its limits so clamping down on all of it is the answer. Unfortunately for Tony it is confusing when some councils allow it to a point and others don't at all. I don't think you'll be parking on a pavement again after that fine.

Supporter+

I don't think you'll be parking on a pavement again after that fine.

I certainly won't, I will be very mindful of where and how I park from now on. I usually look for any signs about parking restrictionsm, in this case there weren't any and I certainly didn't expect any on a cul de sac on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly won't, I will be very mindful of where and how I park from now on. I usually look for any signs about parking restrictionsm, in this case there weren't any and I certainly didn't expect any on a cul de sac on Sunday.

They can be in very unusual places nowadays... but quite often they are either damaged or missing. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Supporter+

Yes, I have a comment. The officer concerned should be treated exactly the same as any other citizen who has parked illegally, unless he was on an emergency, which he clearly wasn't because he was shopping. I sometimes think that policemen think they are above the law because of their job.

I agree totally,@tonyhateley.It's another case of 'one law for one,one law for another'

There is a silly rule for parking for emergency services too so that they can park blocking access which is silly unless its a real life or death emergency.

The council vans are not allowed to but they quite often block access and get away with it because their own enforcement team are not going to fine themselves.

There is a silly rule for parking for emergency services too so that they can park blocking access which is silly unless its a real life or death emergency.

The council vans are not allowed to but they quite often block access and get away with it because their own enforcement team are not going to fine themselves.

Emergency services shouldn't block or restrict access, this includes the police. Do you remember that time the officer flagged down a speeding car? The officer could have been in trouble if I made a complaint (if they took it serious). The place which the officer parked could have caused accidents, not only to oncoming traffic but pedestrians.

Common sense should be applied when it comes to parking.

Archived