Nottinghamshire Man Who Died Alone

Chris

The sad farewell of Nottingham man Colin Pomberth, who died alone

- Pensioner died alone and neighbours did not even know his name

- Decomposing body discovered by police weeks after his death

- Three people attend the 'public health funeral'

THREE distant relatives attended the funeral of pensioner Colin Pomberth, who died alone.

A short service at Wilford Crematorium yesterday was one of three already held this week in similar circumstances.

Such tragedies have led Age UK Notts, backed by the Post, to launch a campaign to End Loneliness.

The last time anyone saw partially-deaf Mr Pomberth, 72, alive, he was putting his bins outside his sparsely-furnished home in Hopedale Close, Radford, on August 14 last year.

His neighbours did not even know his name.

But one realised something was wrong when maggots began dropping through her ceiling from his flat above.

Police discovered his body. It was so badly decomposed that a cause of death could not be determined.

Very, very sad. Really says a lot about communities these days, once upon a time everyone would have known everyone but because of the way we have gone people now hide themselves a way - keeping to themselves.

R.I.P Colin Pomberth

The world has made some mighty strides in some areas in the last 50/60 years. It always amazes me how it has taken so many backwards steps as well. What sort of world are we truly living in when things such as this can happen on a regular basis? It beggars belief.

For me one of the biggest cultural changes over the last 20 years in this country has been how much more selfish people have become, both individually & collectively. Alongside this has been the ever increasing lack of manners, both in how they are used to converse between people but also in how parents fail to show any manners in a public place by controlling their kids.

I am always someone who will, by default, hold a door open for anyone but how many times have I been thanked over say the last 20 times that i've done it?? Once and unfortunately the biggest proportion of all the people who don't say thanks are people aged 65 & over (that could be something to do with living in the town I do!!!), I'm not going to start assuming why as it's not for me to judge anyone else but it really is disappointing that this is the way society is going  :unsure:

Again the way a lot of parents don't show their kids how they should converse with one another etc, how many times have we heard a parent swearing at their child directly or swearing around their child and not bothering when their child says it back? I'll be the first to admit that it is funny the first time your child comes out with a swear word they have heard but to use these words as part of their everyday vocabulary is disgusting.

This is Thatcher's Britain: greed and self interest.

Manners are apalling.

I detest keyboard warriors. Before I post I ask myself "would I say this face to face" and if the answer is no then forget it.

Having said that local neighbours alerted the police when an old reclusive man had not drawn back his curtains for a couple of days and police found him stuck in an empty bath waiting for the inevitable. Had they not been called they were certain that they would have attended a fatality.

This is Thatcher's Britain: greed and self interest.

Manners are apalling.

I detest keyboard warriors. Before I post I ask myself "would I say this face to face" and if the answer is no then forget it.

Having said that local neighbours alerted the police when an old reclusive man had not drawn back his curtains for a couple of days and police found him stuck in an empty bath waiting for the inevitable. Had they not been called they were certain that they would have attended a fatality.

$$€€€€%%^^!!! **&!&&"&"*"£ That's what I think of you buddy ;)

I just find it very sad that the world we live in, people are afraid to be nice to their neighbours. Instead you find people who take you for granted, abuse their rights and majority are anti-social. This happens in even the nicest of areas, I know people who complain all over and it's the standard of parenting sadly.

Still this deeply saddened me earlier.

Don't get me started on bad manners and anti social behaviour.I'll just say I agree with all above.I respond the same as @Canadian and if someone barges past me just say'nice manners?'

RIP Colin Pomberth.

Tragic.

I shudder to think what sort of society & culture we will progress to over the next 10 - 20 years. The lack of respect for others, poor manners and declining standards of conduct & behaviour are appalling.

Desperately sorry that this poor man died alone & nobody cared.

Don't get me started on parents and the total lack of discipline, controll & the outrageous, selfish attitudes that they persistently display. Just had a week in Tenerife in a child free hotel with decent people who know how to act in a civilised and tranquil manner. Coming back home made me feel depressed tbh. This country is a complete shambles & disgrace and it's getting worse year by year.

Sad news to hear. Its a shame he had no family in contact to care for him or even visit. It really does show that communities don't get on as they used to. It would be nice to bring community spirit back but i don't think thats going to happen anytime soon.

Supporter+

It's a really sad story but as others have said this is how society is going now, without wishing to start a political debate I agree with @medievalmickey a lot of blame has to lie with the Thatcher government that we had to endure for so many years. I know some people won't agree with that but that's the way I see it.

Archived