Taking TV abroad

Supporter+

This is a bit of a long shot but I'll try anyway.

We are going to France and will be away for part of the World Cup, I am sure it will be screened in the bars etc., and when we have been before it is a great atmosphere with different nationalities watching the games but the games are on at 11pm our time which will be midnight in France and it is a bit late for us oldies to be out in bars so I wondered about taking our little portable television with us.

I have searched on line and apparently some people say that they will work but obviously it will pick up French TV, so I am hoping they are right and we can watch the football but I am not sure if it is free to air over in France or on a subscription channel. Does anyone know?

I have no idea about French tv.

You could always try to pick up selected games via the Internet. I hope to embed games here on PoN, however nothing beats watching the actual game live from your TV.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer... Now where did the French Magpie go?

Supporter+

Good idea Joe but the internet will be expensive over there I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
Supporter+

Well we took our little portable tv to France and I tried everything to try and get the football but all to no avail. It is supposed to be a smart tv it asks you what country you are in and supposedly finds the right settings for that country but for one reason or another it didn't work.

They were showing the first Enhland match in the bar of the campsite we were staying at but it started at 12 midnight French time which was far too late for me to be out so I missed it.

The second match was on as we came home on the ferry and it was shown on the TV's in the bar but at half time they announced that we had arrived in Plymouth and we had to ho to the car ready to disembark which took ages and I couldn't get the second half on Radio 5 because there was no signal in the bowels of the ship, we were among the last cars to leave the ship and by the time we had got through customs the match was over.

Not a very successful World Cup campaign for me or England :-(

Because you missed it @tonyhateley here's a brief rundown.

England are out as usual. Played some ok football, but flattered to deceive and were really their own worst enemy.

You can pretty much take the above statement and apply to most WC campaigns since I dont know when!!!

Supporter+

Thanks @hissingdwarf, sounds a familiar theme, glad I didn't rearrange my holiday around it. I feel really sorry for those fans who have travelled all that way and spent all that money to see us lose both games.

You know, I'm on VM and they've got their service online. I think you're BT, it might be worth finding out in the future if BT do a similar service. Then you could watch what you want (I know you'd have to be near a wi-fi signal). I hear for openzones France have quite a few, supposedly it's more popular there?

How did you get on?

Did you watch any French cooking shows? Ready steady frogs legs? :P

Supporter+

You know, I'm on VM and they've got their service online. I think you're BT, it might be worth finding out in the future if BT do a similar service. Then you could watch what you want (I know you'd have to be near a wi-fi signal). I hear for openzones France have quite a few, supposedly it's more popular there?

How did you get on?

Did you watch any French cooking shows? Ready steady frogs legs? :P

Read my previous post above, I didn't get any TV signal, as for BT open zone that's a joke, most of the ones we tried didn't work but we did manage to get on line at tourist information centres with France SFR with our BT passwords.

Archived