Tropical fish - the things they don't tell you

Supporter+

I've recently had a tropical fish tank as a birthday present and we have set it up with plants and rocks etc., we had to leave it a while before we could introduce the fish as the water has to have the right bacteria apparently.

Anyway the day came to go and buy the fish so we went to our local fish store and bought some lovely looking fish called Painted Glass Fish, they are about one inch long and have a lovely coloured stripe down the top of their back. We got 4 of them two with a red stripe, one orange and one green. All well and good, we took them home and put them in the tank, they looked lovely.

Later I decided to look them up on the internet and I found that the fish in their natural state are actually very plain but they are caught and injected with a dye (I kid you not), the fish are caught in their thousands but unfortunately around 80% of them die in the process of colouring them. They are then shipped to this country and lots more die at that stage. When you buy they it is likely that they won't survive long and the dye under their skin at best fade with time or at worst infect them and they will die young. :censored:

Had I known all this I wouldn't have bought the fish I think that the pet shop should have told me, there is no wonder the poor things are really nervous and spend a lot of the time hiding in the tank!

I now have learnt to research before I buy. I wonder how many people buy them and are totally unaware of the cruelty the fish have to endure before getting introduced to a home tank. I guess the pet shop sells them because there is the demand, they said they were really popular and sell like hot cakes.

On a brighter note you will be pleased to know I have also got some black and white striped fish, they are called Zebra Danio, I've got ten of them so I think I'll name them after the first team squad. :biggrin:

Joe and K8 had a fish tank in our kitchen when they lived with us.When they moved to their own house they left it here but the fish eventually died.Now we have William and Vicky living with us and they have a fish tank.

What? :o

Your not going to name them after PoN members, I could just picture you sitting in your living room. "Oh look it's Super_Ram", "Now HissingDwarf and look now there goes GrannyPie" LMAO....

If they told people, they wouldn't buy them and the demand would be fewer. I don't like the sound of it myself either, so if my children ask for fish again we'll research properly before hand. I wouldn't want to have fish which are nervous, rather them be seen and enjoy their time with us. Those Zebra Danio's look great! I hope you buy them all mini shirts and a ball. ;)

Supporter+

What? :o

Your not going to name them after PoN members, I could just picture you sitting in your living room. "Oh look it's Super_Ram", "Now HissingDwarf and look now there goes GrannyPie" LMAO....

If they told people, they wouldn't buy them and the demand would be fewer. I don't like the sound of it myself either, so if my children ask for fish again we'll research properly before hand. I wouldn't want to have fish which are nervous, rather them be seen and enjoy their time with us. Those Zebra Danio's look great! I hope you buy them all mini shirts and a ball. ;)

Lol, @notts-joe, that gave me a laugh. I've just spluttered coffee all over my computer.

Used to keep them, but always ended up with floating fish! Even though the tank was set up correctly and I did lots of googling, I think I was always too keen to have them in the tank. Rather than introduce fish slowly over the course of a few months, I'd bang ten at a time in!

Fish are lovely to look at, but it was a pain in the rear cleaning and changing the water each time as the wife always said they were my fish so I had to clean them!

Supporter+

Specially for you @tonyhateley-A genuine Granny fish.

Ha ha, all I need now is a genuine super_ram fish.

Supporter+

Lol, I've found a ram fish, this is how it is described.

"The Ram is prized for its winning personality despite its fierce appearance. With its spiked dorsal fin, low-slung pectoral fins,"

Sounds familiar :biggrin"

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+889+1084&pcatid=1084

You flatterer @tonyhateley ,you beat me to it! :thumbsup:

Animal Species:Magpie Perch, Cheilodactylus nigripes, Richardson, 1850

The Magpie Perch isn't related to Magpies or to the true Perches. It belongs to the family Cheilodactylidae, also known as the Morwongs.

Cheilodactylus%20nigripes%20-%20M.jpg

Standard Common Name

Magpie Perch

Here's another one you might like @tonyhateley

Supporter+

Animal Species:Magpie Perch, Cheilodactylus nigripes, Richardson, 1850

The Magpie Perch isn't related to Magpies or to the true Perches. It belongs to the family Cheilodactylidae, also known as the Morwongs.

Cheilodactylus%20nigripes%20-%20M.jpg

Standard Common Name

Magpie Perch

Here's another one you might like @tonyhateley

It's a lovely looking fish but I think if I put it in my aquarium it would soon be the only fish in there :biggrin:

Archived