100 years ago today

Worth remembering that on this day a century ago, Britain declared war on Germany to begin The Great War. It was supposed to be the war to end all wars, and millions of young volunteers, many of which were barely old enough to drink were lead like lambs to the slaughter to their deaths. You cannot imagine what those boys went through in the trenches of France and Belguim, it must have been horrendous.

I wonder if quite as many people would be willing to sacrifice their lives for "Queen and Country" these days? Somehow, I doubt it.

So many lives lost pointlessly. We're all the same really, no matter what colour our skin, by what name we call God, or what our flag is. Surely it's about time we all learned to get along? :(

R.I.P to all our fallen heroes. And thank you.

Well put @weymouthPIE and @GrannyPie.Why can't people just get on together?

Very well put @weymouthPIE and nice to see that someone from the younger generation appreciates the sacrifices made so long ago.

What should never be forgotten about those fallen is that they were led to their deaths at the hands of incompetent well to do war chiefs who had never seen a battlefield never mind anything else.

Whenever I see that arsehole Prince Charles with all medals that he has never done anything for my memories are always taken back to the 10's of thousands that were needlessly led to their slaughter by nob ends like him.

p.s. very well said @weymouthPIE

For my part I believe we should be teaching all of our children the story of those two wars and teaching them the only major lesson of fighting - there is no winner, only losers.

The Kohima epitaph should stand out in all our lives, not just those of the unfortunate remaining few who served in the second world war

kohep.jpg

Worth remembering that on this day a century ago, Britain declared war on Germany to begin The Great War. It was supposed to be the war to end all wars, and millions of young volunteers, many of which were barely old enough to drink were lead like lambs to the slaughter to their deaths. You cannot imagine what those boys went through in the trenches of France and Belguim, it must have been horrendous.

I wonder if quite as many people would be willing to sacrifice their lives for "Queen and Country" these days? Somehow, I doubt it.

So many lives lost pointlessly. We're all the same really, no matter what colour our skin, by what name we call God, or what our flag is. Surely it's about time we all learned to get along? :(

R.I.P to all our fallen heroes. And thank you.

well said, i know this is late but i somehow missed it. r.i.p

Archived