World Cup 2018 Boycott

Cobby

Should UEFA/the FA Boycott the 2018 World Cup?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should UEFA/the FA Boycott the 2018 World Cup?

• Yes
    • No

He's right that England on its own would just get laughed at. The whole of UEFA would have to take action to force change.

But is this realistic? My feeling is that a core group in Western Europe opposes Blatter and co., but that the rest are on board and don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Sadly.

This would put us in tricky water, would it not be best to fight for the truth in a way that would have whip lashes back onto us?

Boycotting seems like what a child would do.

I just feel it would make us look worse and open an whole new can of worms, I am sure if people wanted to make a point and prove something it could be done in a better way. What would boycotting resolve? also we would be alone. Nobody will have the *alls to stand up and be accounted for, whilst I strongly feel that way - I do also feel it's quite poor to suggest it.

Thinking back to how much good, nations boycotting Olympics did... Will it really do any good, NO.

Will sponsors pulling out and not lining the pockets of those in charge of the world game. Yes

IMO

I agree with the sponsors being a major part of any change, but I think a Boycott would force Sponsor's hands.  Who would want to watch the world cup without Germany, England, France, Italy, Holland, Belgium?

Also, apparently 75% of all players who took part in the World Cup 2014 play in European leagues, and I've heard they could technically block these players playing in any FIFA tournament if they wanted to. http://www.insideworldfootball.com/matt-scott/15859-matt-scott-fifa-corruption-allegations-will-drive-sponsors-away-to-uefa

Sponsors would not want a World Cup without Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, RVP etc.... Is the threat of a boycott enough to force the Sponsors to make their move?

This has the makings of a UKIP style takeover of politics in this country, people are starting to realise the truth behind the faces we see on television etc.

For me the only way to sort this out is to have a referendum style public vote, not a first past the post crap that we have in our bent politics in this country, we need to have a total vote count and then lets have the public, who lets not forget the sponsors want to target with their adverts vote and then lets see how far FIFA get, also as a way of proving that it's not about the money FIFA should pay for it.

I'd be surprised, I really do feel this would never happen.

Perhaps we can get the Liverpool fans singing "We'll never stand alone" - Which for me would be the case, it'll make us look stubborn. Does anyone actually boycotting would actually make a difference?

A single country boycotting would have zero effect on the competition and a massive detrimental effect on their own reputation, if the whole of the UEFA governed teams were to boycott then how could it not have an effect?

• 3 months later...

I've read today that the final is due to be held on 23 December and that 50 leagues will be affected over three seasons. And that's not even taking into consideration the human cost. Talk about bending over backwards.

Why is this being allowed to happen? Surely the time of year at which the World Cup can take place is one of the most important aspects of a bid. This should have been addressed during the bidding process. Does anyone seriously believe that if Qatar had tabled a bid for a winter World Cup in the first place, they would have won? Actually, scrub that. It's clear that palms have been greased here and that they would have won no matter what.

I've read today that the final is due to be held on 23 December and that 50 leagues will be affected over three seasons. And that's not even taking into consideration the human cost. Talk about bending over backwards.

Why is this being allowed to happen? Surely the time of year at which the World Cup can take place is one of the most important aspects of a bid. This should have been addressed during the bidding process. Does anyone seriously believe that if Qatar had tabled a bid for a winter World Cup in the first place, they would have won? Actually, scrub that. It's clear that palms have been greased here and that they would have won no matter what.

I don't see any reason, regardless of time when the tournament is held, that Qatar should host a World Cup. 

What 50 leagues? Your kidding me. :o

I know they said the EPL would be one of the most effected (supposedly Sky don't like it). I think it's crazy if 50 leagues are effected! I heard it was many, though I assumed it would be around 15 or so. That's not bending over backwards! That flopping to the ground like a prima donna!

What 50 leagues? Your kidding me. :o

I know they said the EPL would be one of the most effected (supposedly Sky don't like it). I think it's crazy if 50 leagues are effected! I heard it was many, though I assumed it would be around 15 or so. That's not bending over backwards! That flopping to the ground like a prima donna!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/24/world-cup-2022-winter-qatar-fifa-task-force-temperature

Granted, it does seem a bit of a high estimate. Probably the top flights of all participating countries and in some case the second divisions, plus leagues in some countries that don't qualify (for instance, the Premier League will be heavily affected, whether we qualify or not). Would our calendar ever return to normal? Will they use this as an excuse to permanently force a winter break on us?

Still, the Qatar royal family and Septic Bladder are happy and that's the main thing.

Would our calendar ever return to normal? Will they use this as an excuse to permanently force a winter break on us?

It would take some master planning to turn this from being a major pile up into something 'workable', I fear you have a valid point and raise a interesting question. I hope they don't force a winter break on us but it seems this might be the root they go down.

How 'American' would this be if it did happen?

Pausing a season just doesn't make sense and if they do, I think it will kill off some of the interest and fan engagement.

Archived