Oldham - Cup Run

Chris

Oldham force replay with Everton

Oldham force replay with Everton
Oldham caretaker manager Tony Philliskirk hailed his side's spirit after they earned a money-spinning FA Cup fifth round replay against Everton.

Towering striker Matt Smith was the Latics' hero once again as his header in the fourth minute of stoppage time earned the League One strugglers another crack at their Premier League opponents following the 2-2 draw at Boundary Park.

Having knocked out Liverpool in the previous round, Oldham again had Merseyside opposition reeling when Jordan Obita gave them a 13th-minute lead. Victor Anichebe restored parity midway through the first half before Everton edged ahead when Phil Jagielka heading home Kevin Mirallas' corner.

But Smith, playing his first game from the bench since suffering a shoulder injury during his two-goal display against Liverpool, once again used his physicality to good effect and had the final word to set up another clash at Goodison Park.

And Philliskirk admitted that the financial reward of a replay was a bonus, saying: "From the club's perspective this (the Everton result) is massive.

"Everyone was jumping about around me and I was just smiling to myself.

"I'm under no illusions about what it means to the club financially and at the end of the day that's the most important thing.

"Simon (Corney, chairman), I'm sure that he won't like me saying this, has struggled through over the last few years and he keeps the club afloat. He works ever so hard with the board.

"It's troubled times for everybody, there's no money about. The team haven't done that well this year and attendances have fallen.

"All in all, hopefully it generates a feel-good factor, it'll encourage people to come back but, more than anything, it's what that means to the club - another game, at Goodison, possibly on TV again.

"I was talking to everyone this week and said the dream result was a draw. You'd have to ask the board of directors - I turned round and they were jumping up and down more than anybody else."

Credit to Oldham, they've done very well to get this far and to end up drawing after scoring a late equalizer. I think they'll fancy their chances! great run for them :)

I thought Everton were well below par but all credit to Oldham for not caving in.Agree with Liampie,but then again?

Agree Liam and Oldham have nothing to lose.

I enjoyed Oldham's win over Liverpool. Their next game was in League One at Walsall.  Another Latic's defeat. Saddlers fans chanted 'Sacked in The Morning ' to Dickov. I felt sorry for the bloke myself. Up against it at Boundary Park.  He parted company with the club that evening.

I enjoyed Oldham's win over Liverpool. Their next game was in League One at Walsall.  Another Latic's defeat. Saddlers fans chanted 'Sacked in The Morning ' to Dickov. I felt sorry for the bloke myself. Up against it at Boundary Park.  He parted company with the club that evening.

I didn't get the sacking myself, he's young in management and was doing okay. If it wasn't for him, two key players wouldn't of signed and one I believe did so be Paul Dickov was given the push. (4 year contract if my memory services me) bet he wishes he hadn't.

Yes it was bad timing too. Lost all his coaching staff at Xmas what did Oldham expect him to do? He soldiered on and did his best.

Exactly, it's a shame considering because they looked to have a very good manager when he were first appointed. Looked to performing miracles considering talks of a low budget (which isn't everything) but a good sign to the ability of a manager. The Oldham fan who shared his views mentioned how he was doing, quite insightful and I enjoyed my exchange with him and their fans.

I can't speak to much, I wasn't for the axing of Keith Curle. :)

Archived