Gareth Southgate England Manager?

PTID1862

Southgate has signed an extension to his contract to manage the Under 21 side, and apparently this puts him in the box seat to replace Woy...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gareth-southgates-new-england-u21-4986691

Does success or not at Under 21 level naturally suggest that you can do it at full international level.

Could he cope with the bigger ego's, what would make him different to any of the previous 15 managers who have tried to emulate the success of Sir Alf Ramsey? Ramsey himself couldn't replicate the win of 66 during the following 8 years.

What do we think?

I haven't seen enough of the under 21s to judge, but if he's doing well, why not? For years we assumed that a top club manager would be an ideal choice to manage the national team, but in reality there's a big difference between the two roles. At a club a manager with limited tactical nous can mask their deficiences with shrewd dealings on the transfer market or by assembling a hard-working team that consistently performs against the lesser lights, but at international level the deficiencies are cruelly exposed.

What we really need is a manager who can get the best out of a limited pool of players (there's no transfer market to come to the rescue, after all) and who can handle the egos. If Southgate is that man then good luck to him!

I would prefer Gary Neville. 

You need shooting. ;)

Gareth Southgate isn't good enough, I'd prefer them to appoint Stuart Pearce but really, I think the manager should come from whoever is doing well at the time of an England manager needing to be appointed. I'd love them to offer the whole to Harry Redknapp, I think he would do the job well but he seems to keep his distance. There's not many managers I think could cut it these days and since they are stating England may be forced to pick players from the Championship, may we see a manager from the league appointed within the future?

Eddie Howe one day could make a great England manager.

Supporter+

Big Sam?

Ducks for cover.

Archived