1967 Nottm Florist V Everton

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Ok, it's time to come clean, I once visited the shitty ground! Yes I know it is a cardinal sin for a Notts fan but I feel better for confessing and hopefully it makes it better when I say I stood with the Everton fans and supported Everton.

It was 1967 and I was 15 and living in the Meadows and a big Notts County fan even then. The lad next door was a die-hard Florist fan and had a ticket to their FA Cup Quarter Final match v Everton. He was ill so he couldn't make it so he offered it to me. I went and as I say I stood with the Everton fans and supported them. I can remember how nice the Everton fans were and took me as one of their own, I wasn't very big and it was a massive crowd (all standing in those days) they made sure that I could see by clearing a way for me to stand at the front.

Florist won 3-2 but it was a great match typical cup tie, it didn't make me want to support the team from the dark side though but I have always had a soft spot for Everton since that day.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Ok, it's time to come clean, I once visited the shitty ground! Yes I know it is a cardinal sin for a Notts fan but I feel better for confessing and hopefully it makes it better when I say I stood with the Everton fans and supported Everton.

It was 1967 and I was 15 and living in the Meadows and a big Notts County fan even then. The lad next door was a die-hard Florist fan and had a ticket to their FA Cup Quarter Final match v Everton. He was ill so he couldn't make it so he offered it to me. I went and as I say I stood with the Everton fans and supported them. I can remember how nice the Everton fans were and took me as one of their own, I wasn't very big and it was a massive crowd (all standing in those days) they made sure that I could see by clearing a way for me to stand at the front.

Florist won 3-2 but it was a great match typical cup tie, it didn't make me want to support the team from the dark side though but I have always had a soft spot for Everton since that day.

Amazing moment and memory! I wonder what the chances of something similar happening in modern football. I struggled with Jake at the League Cup game we lost on pens but in the second half the guy (who before I felt was utterly rude) turned and apologized as his wife noticed me tapping him/leaning foward whilst balancing Jake around my waist.

I took super-ram to see Forest vs Derby (with a red friend) we sat with the forest fans and somebody made it obviously who he was supporting.

During my time working at Harts Restaurant I visited quite a few times.

I would always make sure those I went with would return back to Meadow Lane, that red friend is rather soft on all Nottingham sport.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,285
  • Days Won:  69

My dad took me to see Florist v Villa in 1959,a few weeks before they won the cup.I was actually quite excited, thinking 'cup finalists v famous team'.I'd never been to a top flight match at the time so perhaps  I was expecting too much.Well,what a disappointment,there was no atmosphere,the florist ' fans' did nothing but moan and I was bored rigid.I suppose it was a typical end of season match with florist saving themselves for the final, which they won. The match Nottsjoe refers to is best forgotten(we lost-don't ask!!) but I remember the looks I kept getting from Joe's friend .Don't see why I should be quiet just because I;m sat amongst muppets.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

One of my earliest football memories is when I was 7 standing on what was then Arkwright Street with my Dad and watching the red dogs go past on their open top bus with the cup.

Dad wasn't into football but a Nottingham team winning the cup was really something and as the bus was passing within about half a mile from our house he took me to see it.

A couple of years later an older boy who was a friend of my brothers asked if he could take me to the lane. Can't remember the match or the score but I was hooked on Notts from that day.

Archived