• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I watched an interesting documentary the other night which exploded a few myths about the war time leader. Did you know that his "fight on the beaches" speech was never actually broadcast during the war? It was a speech he made in parliament during the war and was only recorded for the radio 9 years after the war from his sickbed.

The programme was all about how he lost the election to a Labour landslide immediately after the war when everyone assumed he would get in comfortably.

If anyone is interested it was on BBC2 and can be watched on iplayer.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

If it's still on I may give it a watch later, I am suprised @super_ram hasn't commented.

Also, this link - Here | Is actually very interesting.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

That's a fascinating read @notts-joe, I find reading about those times really interesting, it's hard to imagine that when I was born the war had only just ended 7 years previously. My parents were in the thick of it, my dad fought with the Sherwood Foresters at El Alamain one of the bloodiest battles of the war.

As kids we used to play on the waste ground rubble that was once a row of houses that were bombed, we lived just off Meadow Lane and the Germans came to bomb a nearby oil refinery on the Trent but hit the houses instead.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I watched a programme a couple of weeks ago, on the History Channel I think, that showed the war years from the point of view of Winston Churchill's personal doctor.Very interesting and also busted a few myth

I was born 2 years after the end of the war and also find it fascinating discovering how life was then.My dad tried to join the Navy but instead became  'a bevan boy' and was conscripted down the pits.I was told how my dad and family sat on their garden wall watching German aircraft using the railway line to help navigate back home after bombing Sheffield.The only house bombed in Alfreton was a result of a bomb aimed at a train.

My dad's cousin was believed to have been killed in action but returned home having been held as a PoW for 3 years.

That's a fascinating read @notts-joe, I find reading about those times really interesting, it's hard to imagine that when I was born the war had only just ended 7 years previously. My parents were in the thick of it, my dad fought with the Sherwood Foresters at El Alamain one of the bloodiest battles of the war.

As kids we used to play on the waste ground rubble that was once a row of houses that were bombed, we lived just off Meadow Lane and the Germans came to bomb a nearby oil refinery on the Trent but hit the houses instead.

Me and my mates sometimes went in The Sherwood Foresters Pub in Derby before Rams games.It's a Sikh temple now I believe.

Archived