England Women's WC campaign

Dripsey3

Supporter+

France 1-0 England. To put it in context, France are potential winners, 2nd best team in Europe.

England played to contain France and it almost worked. England will beat Mexico and Colombia to finish 2nd and a potential game against Norway in the last 16.

Supporter+

I watched the game and to be honest it wasn't the greatest spectacle I've ever seen, I thought France were worthy winners and a class above, having said that although the goal was a good shot I am sure our very own Carly Telford would have save it, in my opinion it was definitely saveable. If it had been saved England could have considered it a good draw against very good opposition.

Seems like the women's game is run by the basis of who is an old pal, rather than ability, just like the men. A number of England ladies were playing in their 3rd world cup, that's 12 years and it showed. The French were the better side and if the goal had not been scored they would not have eased up so early. England never looked like getting a goal.

As he commentator said, Carly Telford must be the best keeper England has

so pick a Man City player who has been injured, not played for weeks and is not fully fit,

WHY!

Supporter+

Colombia drew 1-1 with Mexico in the other game. Colombia could cause England a few problems but they can't defend set pieces, if England attack at pace, they will cruise. Mexico were disappointing, poor at the back, not much up front. They will sit back against England and hope to score on the break. It worked in the last WC.

Supporter+

I think our WC campaign is going down the toilet.

Not at all. The toughest game is done and dusted, it's only going to gather momentum from now on. England could beat Norway in the last 16 and then it's a quarter final against possibly Canada and that's winnable. Semi finalist would be a fantastic achievement for England. Have faith!

Not at all. The toughest game is done and dusted, it's only going to gather momentum from now on. England could beat Norway in the last 16 and then it's a quarter final against possibly Canada and that's winnable. Semi finalist would be a fantastic achievement for England. Have faith!

We're a busted flush.

PS whooooosh!

Supporter+

England 2-1 Mexico. Vital win as Colombia shocked France with a 2-0 win. Very poor opening but England took control. Fran Kirby and Karen Cairney. Mexico scored late on after a mistake by Karen Bardsley. Carly Telford should be given a chance. England must beat Colombia if they want to finish in the top 2. Should be a cracker.

England ladies surely must play Notts Countys Greenwood from the start. She came on as a substitute and changed the game. Excellent cross for Cairney to score and her delivery from a dead  ball ensured that for the first time England always looked capable of scoring.

They looked comfortable until another goalkeeping error gave Mexico a late goal.  

@Piety - I agree with you, Greenwood did excellent when she came on and she now deserves a place in the starting lineup.

I felt England played quite flat within the first half, several chances had fallen but all wasted. Kirby for me was the best player on the pitch, however she missed plenty of opportunities and it really displeased me when they banged on about her goal being class. It was great play and skill, yet the shot was nothing more than what she should of done with the many other chances she missed.

Mexico actually looked more likely to score in my opinion, at least early on but England built play better.

I'm pleased I was wrong but, I do think it could have easily been different had the manager not made the changes he did.

Supporter+

Colombia will be hard to beat. They have surprised me. Keeping a clean sheet against France was excellent. England will have to be patient and not give Colombia time on the ball. Colombia will make mistakes if you pressure them high up the pitch. Use the pace of Kirby and Aluko. Sanderson could be the secret weapon. Her power in the air could the difference. Expect her to appear at some stage.

@dripsey3: You obviously know a lot about ladies football and I am sure that you are right in saying Colombia will be hard to beat, but I think that England's chances would be much improved if hey selected a goalkeeper who could catch the ball.

Sanderson may have been a secret weapon but isn't now because you have told us all. lol  Her power in the air will mean nothing if the quality of cross is not improved. The whole game changed with the substitution in the Mexico match, and they got quality crosses into the box 

If they start with Telford in goal and Greenwood out wide, England will give themselves a good chance of winning

Supporter+

@dripsey3: You obviously know a lot about ladies football and I am sure that you are right in saying Colombia will be hard to beat, but I think that England's chances would be much improved if hey selected a goalkeeper who could catch the ball.

Sanderson may have been a secret weapon but isn't now because you have told us all. lol  Her power in the air will mean nothing if the quality of cross is not improved. The whole game changed with the substitution in the Mexico match, and they got quality crosses into the box 

If they start with Telford in goal and Greenwood out wide, England will give themselves a good chance of winning

I'd have Telford in goal. England have to believe that they are better than Colombia. They cannot start the way they started against Mexico. If I were the manager, I'd start Sanderson because nobody expects this. Colombia will be preparing to face the pace of Aluko and Kirby, I think they will take time to adjust to Sanderson and an avalanche of crosses into their box, by which time England could be a goal or 2 to the good. Then unleash pace later in the game. In fact, I'm going to apply for the job next times it comes up lol....

I wouldn't start Aluko, she seems vastly overrated within the international scene.

Very good player, one who I have seen rip Notts ladies apart by herself but so far she's shown no signs of actually being worth her place as a striker. She hit the bar from a close effort? Wow, I don't get the fascination with over hyping this - especially how media determine that one decent effort as 'long distant'. It was just outside the penalty box for heavens sake.

I think we could guarantee goals if they played Ellen White for once.

She's as natural as they come as strikers.

If winning Colombia is the answer, they should just play quick phasing football and defend well against the counter. If we kept the tempo high, dominated the movement, Colombia would resemble a nervous break down. You cannot allow a side like them play, I don't believe they're anything special but they can score, which naturally punishes sides.

England are required to play with confidence, they must realise their potential too.

Supporter+

England 2-1 Colombia. The score doesn't do England justice. England dominated the game. Cairney and Williams were the scorers. Mark Sampson got his team and tactics spot on. Norway in the last 16.

Supporter+

England 2-1 Norway. England march on. Well deserved win. Went 1-0 down early in the 2nd half but didn't panic. Houghton levelled it and Bronze won it with a stunning strike. Karen Bardsley kept England in it in the first half. Made a couple of good saves.

Next up is a quarter final clash with Canada. Canada are a difficult side to break down but they don't score too many. They haven't scored more than 1 goal in any of their games. They haven't conceded more than 1 either. They have kept 3 clean sheets in 4 games. It's 50/50 IMO. England have a bit more fire power so I'm going for 1-0 to England.

England will never have a better chance of reaching the final. Germany, France and the US are on the other side of the draw. Japan would more than likely be their semi final opponents and they haven't been brilliant so far. Indeed I wouldn't be shocked if the Dutch knocked them out in the last 16 or if the Aussies beat them in the quarter final.

Archived