Great start to the morning

Tarkers

After celebrating Sir Charlie Palmer day by watching both Notts goals v Rushcliffe, on YouTube....I went the whole hog by watching us beat Ascoli 2-1 at Wembley (goals from Legg, long throw-in directly into the onion-bag!! and a bullet header from Devon White)....then the 3-0 humiliation of Spurs (cracking first goal from Agana).....then McSwegan's hat-trick as part of the 4-1 thrashing of Derby............those were the days huh?

One thing you notice watching all these games...is the fact that we never seemed to stop chasing the ball and throwing our bodies in....ok, we might not be able to get away with some of those tackles now, but the attitude was tremendous!

Now we spend our days discussing whether we can reach the play-offs of the 4th division or beat York City....grrrrrrr

ps I still cannot see why the last "goal" from Legg v Ascoli was dis-allowed, as it was actually deflected into the net from an indirect free-kick....c'est la vie

We scored from a throw-in which was disallowed, I forget which final that happened but these days I have seen them count.

Andy Legg was a brilliant player for us, one of my favourites as a youngster - certainly very skilful and I feel privileged to have met him and interview him for our site. @Joe Jones did a great job with that! Hopefully we will see him back again in the near future.

COYP!

I remember flying out to Rimini from Manchester, when we played Ascoli in the group stages. Rough Guide in hand, finding a cheap hostel / bed and breakfast in Ascoli. 

Pleased to have gone just to witness Devlin's wonder goal in the dying minutes, controlled on chest, turned and volleyed in from 35 yards. if my memory serves me right. Bierhoff for Ascoli was the stand out player, before he became famous with Germany

@tarquinbeech I missed the 3-0 demolition of Spurs as I was in Buenos Aires at the time. Just recall photos of Ardiles in the Argie newspapers looking a condemned man, the following day or so

26 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

The wins against Ascoli and Spurs came in 94-95, the season we got relegated (and to date our last in the second tier - frightening). If we'd shown the same commitment for the league games maybe we wouldn't have gone down with several weeks to spare.

......and the previous season, if we hadn't thrown away points away at Derby (I was probably the last to leave the old Baseball ground....sat head in hands on the away terraces) and then at home to Charlton where we were winning 3-1 midway through the 2nd half but they scored 2 late goals in the Kop end (was that the game where we got half the Kop back for home fans to try to give us a boost?)....then to cap it all, losing away on the last game to already-relegated Oxford......we would have been in the play-offs for a return to the top tier.

Maybe being so close and failing, was the reason for such a poor season the following year?

26 minutes ago, notts-joe said:

We scored from a throw-in which was disallowed, I forget which final that happened but these days I have seen them count.

Andy Legg was a brilliant player for us, one of my favourites as a youngster - certainly very skilful and I feel privileged to have met him and interview him for our site. @Joe Jones did a great job with that! Hopefully we will see him back again in the near future.

COYP!

Definitely wasn't disallowed. Legg threw it over the keepers head and tricky Tony claimed it, but got nowhere near it. It was one of the very few high spots in an awful season. I remember watching us dismantle Spurs in the cup and thought this is the start to our season, but I went up and watched us play Burnley that weekend and as per usual we returned to being rubbish.

Actually it could be worse....both Grimsby and Tranmere finished above us the year we got relegated (Tranmere actually reached the play-offs to the Premiership ...two years in a row!!!)

Both of these teams are now in non-league football now....maybe I shouldn't have started this thread....hahahaha

To be fair, everyone finished above us that season :D funny thing is, history repeated itself in what is now League One - failed play-off bid, then relegated finishing rock bottom the next season. It's a bit depressing thinking about it, but at least being in League Two gives us three possible promotions. How boring must it be in the Premier League, where you can't win promotion at all?!

Stockport have fared even worse - a division above us (and Man City for a season) about 2000ish, they now lock horns with Workington in the Conference North.

6 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Definitely wasn't disallowed. Legg threw it over the keepers head and tricky Tony claimed it, but got nowhere near it. It was one of the very few high spots in an awful season. I remember watching us dismantle Spurs in the cup and thought this is the start to our season, but I went up and watched us play Burnley that weekend and as per usual we returned to being rubbish.

I recall Tony claiming to touch it, whilst I also knew he never made contact but I thought it was disallowed.

Perhaps I am confusing the occasion, as I do recall a similar time being ruled against us.

Supporter+
17 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

I remember flying out to Rimini from Manchester, when we played Ascoli in the group stages. Rough Guide in hand, finding a cheap hostel / bed and breakfast in Ascoli. 

Pleased to have gone just to witness Devlin's wonder goal in the dying minutes, controlled on chest, turned and volleyed in from 35 yards. if my memory serves me right. Bierhoff for Ascoli was the stand out player, before he became famous with Germany

@tarquinbeech I missed the 3-0 demolition of Spurs as I was in Buenos Aires at the time. Just recall photos of Ardiles in the Argie newspapers looking a condemned man, the following day or so

A year later Bierhoff would score the winning goal in the Euro 96 final at Wembley. Don't think it made up for missing out on the Anglo Italian winners medal. Haunts him still....

Archived