I think I need an holiday

I am contemplating taking a vacation or returning back to the UK for a short break. I do a lot of travelling, a heck of a lot but I think I should put my feet up a bit now. So I am curious as to where you lot go, where you would recommend.

How many times do you go a way each year? Where do you go?

Usually go on holiday 3 times a year, but never in this country apart from the odd hotel or lodge break as going abroad offers far better value and far better weather.  I've loved Turkey, Egypt and Tunisia but unfortunately the terrorist threat means my wife won't go there.  Nine of us are off to a private villa in the Algarve in May, good old Ryanair flights means it's only costing us about £150 each.  Try booking a week at Center Parcs for that!

Supporter+

I go on holiday once a year. This year it will be Scotland. I've never been there. I usually go on a couple of short trips to London to see my friend and his family. I plan to go to Wales next year because the Women's Champion's League Final is in Cardiff. I will get tickets for that (on Thursday) and I'm hoping that I might be able to get tickets for the men's final. I plan to visit a coal mine as well. 

Only once, within the UK. I hope to do some travelling in the next couple of years, as it would be nice to visit America and some other places with my little rascals (especially before they are all teens).

Can't remember the last time i had a holiday, think it was 2004 on the Isle of Wight, was a lovely week and hot weather all week. Which was different to the year before, when we went to the Concrete jungle that is Benidorm, and had crap weather. Had the odd weekend here and there since. 

Always had a nice time down in Cornwall been lucky with the weather and there are lots of tiny hamlets to explore ,     enjoyed Majorca a few years back to lovely and warm ,    probably Zante is my favourite the weather the island is beautiful and was into nightlife back then and that was lively ,    hmmm where's my shades and sun lotion feel a holiday coming on , I wish nothing planned this year .

On April 25, 2016 at 19:19, AmericanPie said:

I am contemplating taking a vacation or returning back to the UK for a short break. I do a lot of travelling, a heck of a lot but I think I should put my feet up a bit now. So I am curious as to where you lot go, where you would recommend.

How many times do you go a way each year? Where do you go?

Where in the States are you based AP? Do you live full time over here? 

Just asking as I live in Scottsdale, AZ.

• 8 months later...

Favourite place, visited 4 times and never get tired of its beauty

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torres_del_Paine_National_Park

In Europe, prefer quirky places off the beaten track

Caceres and Merida in Spain

Cesky Krumlov, Marianske Lazne, Trutnov in Czech Republic

Wroclaw, Gdansk in Poland

Coimbra, Sintra in Portugal

Split, Trogir in Croatia

Meteora in Greece

On 26/04/2016 at 21:20, C_J said:

Where in the States are you based AP? Do you live full time over here? 

Just asking as I live in Scottsdale, AZ.

I lived in Scottsdale for about a year. I got the impression that Scottsdale was to Phoenix just like West Bridgford is to Nottingham, full of rich buggers. A lot of talented artists live and work in Tucson, then sell their artwork in Scottsdale.

Has your winter rain started yet? It's the right month innit. I gotta go dude I'm getting kinda homesick writing this.

One last thing, how do you spot an Arizonan in California? They're the ones sitting on Venice beach in August shivering with cold.

We (myself @cheeky~k8/rebels) plan to go abroad sometime, we haven't been overseas on a family holiday and would all require passports etc.

Will certainly look into some of these locations, France and Wales seems somewhat a joke when you say 'It's the only places I've been too'. Fingers crossed I don't end up homesick like I did when I went to France with school, I spent 3 days feeling like hell and only felt well on the ferry home.

50 minutes ago, notts-joe said:

We (myself @cheeky~k8/rebels) plan to go abroad sometime, we haven't been overseas on a family holiday and would all require passports etc.

Will certainly look into some of these locations, France and Wales seems somewhat a joke when you say 'It's the only places I've been too'. Fingers crossed I don't end up homesick like I did when I went to France with school, I spent 3 days feeling like hell and only felt well on the ferry home.

Take your kids to Efteling, it is the best holiday you will ever have with young kids, only took 2.5 hours driving once we got off the ferry in France.

This is the jewel in the crown of the most amazing magical adventure you can ever have with kids, we're going again three times this year alone.

1 hour ago, notts-joe said:

Watched a couple of videos, it looks quite enchanting and certainly somewhere to consider. Thanks @Northants Pie!

It was built by a guy called Anton Pique, it is based on the brothers grimm and hans cristian anderson fairytales. 

An example of just how enchanting the place is, the cakes on the hansel & gretel wall actually smell of real life cakes, the icing smells of icing, the sponge smells of chocolate sponge and the cherry on top smells of cherry. 

Ive attached a picture to show you the detail of gepeto's workshop

20161028_124138.jpg

Archived