A Piece Of Magpies History

weymouthPIE

I brought this picture off of EBay of the 1894 Notts County side which won the FA Cup.

post-49-0-96841600-1370110811_thumb.jpg

Something else to go up on my bedroom wall, along with many other Notts County related pictures :)

I remember reading in a match programme from our division 3 play-off semi final against Bolton in Colin Slaters column a bit about Jimmy Logan. Jimmy became the first player ever to score a hat-trick in an FA Cup final as Notts beat Bolton 4-1 to become the first side from outside the top division to win the Cup.

We brought Jimmy from Aston Villa for £15! A lot of money back then but today that sounds crazy!

The story of Jimmy Logan is quite tragic really. After lhis time at Notts he moved to play for Dundee and then Newcastle United before ending his career with Loughborough FC.

Loughborough were on their way to play Newton Heath (now Man Utd) but en route they descovered their kit had been lost. They could not barrow any shirts so they were forced to play in their ordinary clothes. It rained heavily throughout the game and the Loughborough players had to return home wearing the same clothes they had played in. Jimmy caught a cold but shook it off to play a game against Crewe Alexandra. However shortly after that game he relapsed, caught Pneumonia and passed away at the age of just 25.

Good purchase mate, how many Notts Items do you have like this? (Programmes, photos, etc)

Thanks for sharing this, it's sad to read about what happened but it shows what players was like back then. He probably wasn't completely over his illness but battlers will continue, without letting things get in the way. 25 years old is no age :(

Good purchase mate, how many Notts Items do you have like this? (Programmes, photos, etc)

God loads of Notts County bits and bobs mate. Got about 5 shirts, 7 scarfs, 3 pendents, 14 pictures up in my room, dozens of books and about 200 programmes - all but one from the 2011-12 season, every one from last season, and most from 10-11 and 09/10. Few odds and sods on top of them. Not to mention two boxes full of Weymouth programmes and a box full of 'special' programmes - few cup finals etc.

Yep, I'm a bit obsessive about collecting stuff haha

Have you room for a bed there James? :)

Supporter+

That story is fascinating Weymouth thanks for sharing, I didn't know any of that. It's a far cry from today's pampered footballers.

Archived