England v Slovakia

Apparently Roy Hodgson is planning six changes to the team against Slovakia. I'm not happy about this - I can understand some changes (Sterling and Kane clearly need a rest), but to make so many when we still need a result is risky, and you could say it smacks of arrogance. Group games are a chance for the national team to gel and learn to play as a unit; chopping and changing really isn't going to help.

Realistically, even a defeat would see us go through as one of the four best third-placed teams, but we could then easily find ourselves playing Spain or Germany in the next round. Thoughts?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/19/england-roy-hodgson-wayne-rooney-slovakia

1 hour ago, DangerousSausage said:

Apparently Roy Hodgson is planning six changes to the team against Slovakia. I'm not happy about this - I can understand some changes (Sterling and Kane clearly need a rest), but to make so many when we still need a result is risky, and you could say it smacks of arrogance. Group games are a chance for the national team to gel and learn to play as a unit; chopping and changing really isn't going to help.

Realistically, even a defeat would see us go through as one of the four best third-placed teams, but we could then easily find ourselves playing Spain or Germany in the next round. Thoughts?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/19/england-roy-hodgson-wayne-rooney-slovakia

And Slovakia have 6 players on a yellow card, which may have a bearing on their team selection.

I think the Teamthatwas brought out against Russia and Wales will be the Prefered 11, But perhaps we could see a reinvigorated Team. 

We'll win comfortably with what ever 11 we put on the Pitch (Bloody Better do :D )  

I wish I had your confidence! Chopping and changing a side does not bode well for cohesion and now that we are getting down to the serious part of the competition, surely playing a settled side will pay greater dividends and give us an easier path to the quarter finals. Bring in 2, or 3 players but no more, because if we lose the game then Roy will be out on his ear, as I can't see us beating Spain, or Germany just yet.

Slovakia play well as a unit and team, something which Wales could do with focusing on in order to beat Russia (I really want them gone).

I think we may struggle to break them down, they are quite good defensively and their attacks are quite capable. Flaws are set pieces (corners especially) and when teams really press them, the way we attack using our runners to directly challenge the opposition - in my opinion only plays into their hands because they will be quite happy to be a little physical. I do expect the game to be fairly lively though.

Slovakia will be a tricky game, very physical, but I'd hope England have enough quality to get a result. I reckon a 1-1 draw - Skrtel to give them the lead, Rashford to nick one back, while Wales will beat Russia 1-0.

Final standings will be Wales on 6, England on 5, Slovakia 4, bye bye Russia on 1.

I thought we easily did enough to win in the first half. I was a bit concerned that we would look disjointed, but that was our best performance so far. But it was always going to be difficult once Slovakia decided they were happy with a 0-0 - with the old format they'd have needed a win.

Saw the Wales highlights afterwards too, I'm really happy that they've made it through and they can probably look forward to a relatively easy draw too. They beat two teams we couldn't, so you've got to take your hat off to them. It has helped a bit that they've been underestimated in this tournament though, and yesterday they were playing a side that needed to win. Russia were truly dire. Seeing how disinterested and slow the Russians were minutes after Slovakia's passionate defending was a bit of a shock.

I have to admit I was disappointed that we couldn't win, I think we lack a killer in the team, someone that can control the game and carve open the defence, with all the possession we had it doesn't matter if we don't score, Slovakia didn't want the ball and were quite happy to just sit back and defend and I think those are the kinds of teams we really struggle against.

I wouldn't say I'm scared of who we might get, Portugal have been poor, Hungary are beatable and Iceland and Austria aren't the best either

The lack of quality expressed by Slovakia really should have given us the momentum to score, they clearly wanted to hit England on the counter or perhaps when players became tired. I'm disappointed in how both teams played, as for me it wasn't one of the best matches - in fact I would add it to list of worst games that I have seen during the contest.

Rooney deserves credit, Hart needs to command his area better - The defence need to communicate.

Yet England have progressed and hopefully we avoid all this media nonsense about Spain or Italy, we should fear sides. I think we may give this Italy a side because they do lack having better players, and for me Spain can be broken down but only of you defend and attack. Us playing them would probably surround either one of the two, most like defending.

I thought we were poor in midfield yesterday, Wilshere just kept losing the ball and Henderson couldn't cross his legs, let alone a football. Clyne did well down the right, but we are now starting to rue the fact that we don't have a genuine winger in the squad, just somebody who can beat a man and cross a ball.

We need to find some goals from somewhere, but where I'm not sure. Vardy did the hard work in winning that chase early doors and I thought he was going to bury it like he has for Leicester this year, rather than hitting it straight at the keeper. I'm hoping for a Kane, Vardy partnership next game as he will hopefully create the space for Kane.

Looking at the draw now, it doesn't appear too bad, I'm not bothered about any teams in the next round and France have been no great shakes, who we might play in the quarters. I take it we avoid Spain now until the final (yeah, righto), as they were down to meet us in the semi?

Archived