Footballers Of 60 Years Ago V Footballers Of Today

weymouthPIE

post-49-0-01150700-1370886961_thumb.jpg

Seems about right don't you think?

Playing with a broken neck though, wow! I'm guessing that was not actually diagnosed till after the game otherwise he would have been dragged off the pitch. Then again they would play on no matter what in those days

Super Ram told me about this when I were little, I used to be obsessed with goalkeepers and it was my favourite position to play. I would play anywhere, though I since I did well at stopping people from scoring I become fixed to the position. I recall one day, Super Ram telling me stories about past keepers and he had this annoying habit or referring everything back to Peter Shilton (well it was for me).

When I seemed uninterested about Peter Shilton, he went on to mention stories about other talented players.

I didn't believe him, when he told me that a player had broken his neck and he was a keeper! I thought he was pulling my leg, though one year it was mentioned before a game.

If I recall correctly, he was aware something 'serious' was wrong but wanted to play on. Players in them days hardly ever allowed injuries to prevent them from play, I'm not sure if he knew it was broken but as you can tell in the picture, he clearly felt something. Amazing moment! He's also lucky nothing happened :)

I haven't really heard much about this but i do know that over the years dives and fake injuries have become more known of and some players do anything for extra time or unfair red/yellow cards. About the injury, i'm surprised he managed to stay on with a broken neck, but as has been mentioned that wouldn't of been diagnosed till after the game.

I can just about remember watching this at home with my dad and an uncle (the women had been dispatched out of the way to do shopping in Nottingham)

I do remember the Incident and there being a discussion about the seriousness of the injury. Nowadays he would have been substituted and sent to hospital immediately The full extent of the injury became public several days later and again became the subject of much discussion

It's also noticeable on the clip on the blog that the Brummie player was also in considerable pain and obviously not 'milking it' and didn't seem to get much sympathy either.How things have changed indeed!

Archived