England v Iceland

Chris

Pathetic, really pathetic. If things aren't working (Kane taking set pieces, Sterling on the pitch, Wilshire actually being in the squad), why persevere with it game after game. Well done to Iceland & in particular ex Miller Kari Arnason CB, who has had a fine tournament so far.

iceland.jpg

First of all, congratulations to Iceland. They were well-organised, passionate and committed - everything England were not. They deserve their place in the quarter finals, by the end of yesterday's match I would have actually felt disappointed for them if we'd have somehow scraped through.

As ever, the team were full of fear, Joe Hart in particular comes across as far too nervous. Where were the tackles flying in, the absolute will to win? Where was the courage to take players on, as opposed to passing the buck? Where was the leadership? Wayne Rooney looked like some bloke who had won his place in the team in a raffle. On top of all this, you can't help feeling that we approached this match in an arrogant and complacent way. Apparently England coaching staff punched the air when it became clear we would be playing Iceland. While Iceland were playing their final group match in Paris, Roy Hodgson was on a boat trip in the same city. Iceland shut us out and neither the team nor the manager had any idea what to do. Did anyone apart from the manager honestly think that Jack Wilshere would turn our fortunes around? Not only is he a fancy dan, he's an unfit fancy dan. And then standing and watching until the 87th minute before making the final substitution ... it beggars belief. We have some major lessons to learn.

Iceland, on the other hand, were excellent, I'll be cheering them on in the next round.

You know, if I was Roy Hodgson I would have walked onto the pitch and told the 'school boys' to get up off the pitch - act like professionals for once and demand they handled the press conference.

The images of Hart etc on the floor, for me show why we don't succeed. No backbone!

I am told that a loose translation of one of the Icelandic songs is " Its just like watching Mansfield ".

It was an uncompromising, and organised display, with every one giving 100%, for the full 90 minuets. They had obviously practiced their set pieces and throw-ins but for some reason England chose to ignore what happened in previous games and left Rooney to mark the huge Viking who wandered forward to head the ball on for the equalizing goal.

Not rocket science, but it works. He may have the face of a Norse, but Kane's place kicks made him look a donkey.  Storage and Stirling  may be fast, but only when they run. Standing next to their marker with there hands on their hips, they are more likely to take root than score a goal.  I could go on but wont, other than saying Rashford, MOM for England.

In Iceland they will add to the stories of Ragnar Blood axe. Eric the red, and the 13th warrior,  the saga of how Iceland deservedly overcame England by playing league 2 football, and giving it all they had. The players and staff will be immortalised.

England's players will have to console themselves by counting their money, well its only a game after all.         

On 28.6.2016 at 16:48, notts-joe said:

You know, if I was Roy Hodgson I would have walked onto the pitch and told the 'school boys' to get up off the pitch - act like professionals for once and demand they handled the press conference.

The images of Hart etc on the floor, for me show why we don't succeed. No backbone!

They did handle the press conference - after Roy Hodgson had read out his resignation-on-the-back-of-a-cig-packet and walked out!

One problem is that our players are too hyped up, when they're playing you can just tell that playing for England is a massive burden and is not enjoyable. They care TOO much - just look at them in the tunnel! The players' camp is like an open-air prison, the players are handed bits of paper telling them what to say to the press, they are forbidden from mentioning names of opposition players or even talking about the squad's darts tournament. There is no fun. Allow them to enjoy themselves a bit on and off the pitch and attempt to take some of the pressure off their shoulders and we just might do a bit better.

49 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

They did handle the press conference - after Roy Hodgson had read out his resignation-on-the-back-of-a-cig-packet and walked out!

One problem is that our players are too hyped up, when they're playing you can just tell that playing for England is a massive burden and is not enjoyable. They care TOO much - just look at them in the tunnel! The players' camp is like an open-air prison, the players are handed bits of paper telling them what to say to the press, they are forbidden from mentioning names of opposition players or even talking about the squad's darts tournament. There is no fun. Allow them to enjoy themselves a bit on and off the pitch and attempt to take some of the pressure off their shoulders and we just might do a bit better.

Certain players spoke to people, Joe Hart burst into tears after being interviewed by TalkSport.

My point is that they should be alongside Roy, equal blame, equal requirement to having to explain the situation. I'm not sure they care too much myself, I think they lack focus and desire. I wouldn't go as far as saying they're ruled by money or glamour but the die-hard attitude is certainly impacted by the money involved in today's game. I also actually think we shouldn't pay a manager, however then nobody would want to managers.

I have heard the players give their wages to charities, I was under the impression that they earn more via their actual clubs for being national representatives.

But the 'pride' has gone, we lack leaders and players are either over hyped or picked a part.

Joe Hart = Over hyped
Wayne Rooney = Picked a part

In fact, there seems to be a trend of hyping them up - just so we can enjoy bring them down and I firmly point my finger at our pathetic national media.

Need I write more?
Screen-Shot-2016-06-28-at-12.08.03-805x1

Thoughts on this headline?

Archived