Fat Sam for England?

As one of the THREE English managers in the Premier League, our ex-manager was always going to be in the running for the England job. But now the Graun is reporting that he's due to be interviewed this week:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/10/sam-allardyce-interview-england-job

The article contains a truly Partridge-esque quote from Allardyce about when he was overlooked for the England job in 2006:

“I wanted to do a real knock-your-socks-off interview for the FA, so I put together a PowerPoint which looked at every single detail,” he wrote in his autobiography. “There was nothing missing. Nobody but nobody was going to beat it. But then Brian Barwick, the chief executive, told me there were no PowerPoint facilities at the interview venue, so I had to print off hard copies for the panel. So much for the progressive FA.”

What do you think - the next Fernando Santos or Graham Taylor Mark Two? Sorry, I cannot imagine him being a successful manager of a national team, PowerPoint or no PowerPoint.

Do I sound mad for suggesting we could go for a duo for once?

If I do, I would much prefer Mr Transfer Deadline Harry myself. Big Sam could be successful but in terms of achievements he's struggled in recent years and his record isn't that impressive, still a very good manager but I think his time at Sunderland would show how mediocre he can be.

Redknapp will never get the job, he's 69 and his record really isn't anything special, no matter what his friends in the media say. Allardyce has done well at Sunderland but he hasn't managed at the very highest level.

An international manager needs a different skill set to a club manager. Knowledge of the transfer market won't do the next England boss any good, he needs tactical nous and an ability to mould a group of players into a team quickly. I'm worried Allardyce would implode under the pressure of such a high-profile job and the increased media scrutiny. I'd still prefer him to Klinsmann mind!

Jamie Fu  whoops sorry.Seriously,Eddie Howe anyone.

We need a manager who can motivate our spineless bunch and get them playing with a bit of fire and passion, whatever that manager's nationality.

Incidentally, Bobby Charlton was asked by a journalist how he thinks the England team of 1966 would have fared against Iceland. Charlton said "I think we'd have beaten them 1-0". The journalist said "Only 1-0?" Charlton replied "Yes, you've got to remember that most of us are in our 70s now".

England need a system, for too many years now we have picked the best players, tried to find a system to suit and end up playing some of them out of position negating their effectiveness. We should have a system and play the best players available in their correct positions and that doesn't matter if the best two players in England play in the same positions, one has to be benched.

To be fair to Sam, he would be able to motivate, organise and play to a certain style, which no manager has done since probably Venables. I reckon it would be as boring as hell to watch, but then Portugal have just won the Euros with awful football.

2 hours ago, Elite_pie said:

We need a manager who can motivate our spineless bunch and get them playing with a bit of fire and passion, whatever that manager's nationality.

Incidentally, Bobby Charlton was asked by a journalist how he thinks the England team of 1966 would have fared against Iceland. Charlton said "I think we'd have beaten them 1-0". The journalist said "Only 1-0?" Charlton replied "Yes, you've got to remember that most of us are in our 70s now".

:lol: I was told this at a friends retirement party recently.

19 hours ago, Elite_pie said:

I think part of the problem is that they are too hyped up and motivated. Passion alone won't get you very far at international level. We need a tactically aware manager who can form a proper team, but who can also take the pressure off the players and let them enjoy themselves and play without fear.

Archived