Discovering unknown music artists

Joe Jones

One of my biggest passions in life is music - I could spend all day just going through Youtube, Soundcloud and so on listening to anything and everything from world-famous artists to little known singers and DJs.

There's one singer I'm listening to at this moment who many people probably have never heard of, but I think is absolutely incredible.

Karise Eden is an Australian soul singer, she was on The Voice a few years ago and completely smashed it - she's basically Janis Joplin incarnate.

In this thread I want people to think about an artist they know who is not particularly well known among the general public, but think they're so good that they deserve an airing.

Here is Karise's cover of This Is A Man's World by James Brown. Incredible stuff.

I used to go on PureVolume.com - they had a good way of searching similar bands.

When I used to write song lyrics (before I wrote poetry), I used to be apart of a great armature songwriting community and I met many great upcoming bands. A couple of them made it big, the most known would probably be Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and Driving East.

I'm now finding music by using the station feature of Amazon Prime.

• 1 year later...

i have a music app on my phone, its like spotify but better. it allows me to see what my friends are listening and recommends tracks from youtube [audio only] that are similar to songs that i have already listened too.

it also shares information about the artists and tracks.

i forget what its called..

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2018 at 16:54, upthepies said:

In my day this what the radio was for and for listening to the latest chart releases.

Saturday Club on Saturday morning with Brian Matthew,Easy Beat on Sunday morning and Pick of the pops on Sunday afternoon with Alan 'Fluff ' Freeman ? Or am I going back too far  @upthepies Also Radio Luxembourg before pirate radio.

9 minutes ago, super_ram said:

Saturday Club on Saturday morning with Brian Matthew,Easy Beat on Sunday morning and Pick of the pops on Sunday afternoon with Alan 'Fluff ' Freeman ? Or am I going back too far  @upthepies Also Radio Luxembourg before pirate radio.

Blimey something I think my dad knows of 

1 minute ago, Magic magpie said:

Blimey something I think my dad knows of 

Yes he will.

Supporter+

Alan “fluff” Freeman :biggrin: Not many will remember him on here @super_ram

Yeah I also remember listening to Radio Luxembourg in my bedroom and pick of the pops on Sunday afternoon, I used to record it on a reel to reel tape recorder with a microphone near the radio, everyone had to keep quite otherwise the mike would pick up the noise, of course my mam would forget and go round rattling pots and slamming doors. MAM!!! SHHHHH!!!

3 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Alan “fluff” Freeman :biggrin: Not many will remember him on here @super_ram

Yeah I also remember listening to Radio Luxembourg in my bedroom and pick of the pops on Sunday afternoon, I used to record it on a reel to reel tape recorder with a microphone near the radio, everyone had to keep quite otherwise the mike would pick up the noise, of course my mam would forget and go round rattling pots and slamming doors. MAM!!! SHHHHH!!!

You were a naughty boy weren't you @Fan of Big Tone, recording off the radio.Of course I never did that.:angel:

It was my dad who used to get himself recorded- It was either 'What's that bloody racket' or occassionally he'd join in and sing along to the radio.

On 08/07/2018 at 21:58, TM1993 said:

I use Spotify myself, I have a premium account and I find a lot of music from this.

I hate how generic and pre-recorded modern radio has gotten, it just sucks. Look at Capital for example.

I feel the same way, Spotify is good.

Archived