Retro Television

Chris

There's many classic TV shows from what is often described as the golden era, the 80's and 90's gave us some brilliant shows and although these days we have the 'Game of Thrones' among some other popular shows - its just not the same. Its mostly 'quick' and 'cheerful' and the days of entertaining game shows is long gone.

However, I sat watching 'The Wonder Years' the other night on my laptop and it made me miss some of the older gems.

Murder She Wrote - I love this, for me its one of the better American series of that period (if not the best). The acting can be quirky, the story line can have holes but Dame Angela Lansbury is the glue that keeps everything entertaining.

I miss game shows like Bulls Eye, mind watching past shows makes me laugh at the prizes. The Price is Right and even Catchphrase are also within the list of things I miss.

I could name a whole lot more but people have probably given up reading at this stage.

What TV shows do you miss? Have a go at naming one and don't do any of this 'I'm not talking about this'. Just give it ago, we are a community and sometimes it's discussions like this that gives more of an insight into the poster. Plus its fun to reminisce, you never know - someone else here might be a huge fan of the show you liked.

Does old Simpsons count? They're a completely different kettle of fish from the new ones.

I tell you what I do miss - those early 00s shows on Sky One like The Villa, Mile High, Club Reps in Ibiza - basically about going abroad and having it large. They were always a good laugh.

i would say the simpsons but with it still running and because i do still like it i would say it dont count.

its a tricky question but i cant recall something that stands out. i used to watch citv all the time and used to really enjoy that. things like my parents are aliens was funny.

Too many to choose from, but probably the first programme that really got me hooked was Grange Hill with Tucker Jenkins, brilliant programme.
As far as adult TV goes, I would say Minder was my favourite, along with Dads Army and Open all Hours.
Give me half an hour though and I will probably change my mind for something else!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Too many to choose from, but probably the first programme that really got me hooked was Grange Hill with Tucker Jenkins, brilliant programme.
As far as adult TV goes, I would say Minder was my favourite, along with Dads Army and Open all Hours.
Give me half an hour though and I will probably change my mind for something else!!!

I miss 'Grange Hill', used to watch it when I was really little and right up to the final episode. I also liked theme tune, both the original and the modern version.

It really sounds like a 'school drama'... *Sigh

PS. Yet every time I hear this, my head starts playing I am the one and only by Chesney Hawkes. Haha

Oh yes, Tiswas was amazing! Another great kids programme was Danger Mouse and I also forgot The Goodies! As for American TV, I used to love Magnum PI, Dukes of Hazard and The Rockford Files. 

You see @notts-joeI could go on all night! TV was brilliant back then before it became cheapened with fly on the wall documentaries and reality TV, although I will add that in the last couple of years there has been some very good drama on the BBC and ITV.

Retrospective 

American TV

Midnight Caller.... tag line "Goodnight America wherever you are"

Rockford Files

Mission Impossible 

Cheers 

Mash

Bewitched 

UK comedies

Joking Apart ... check YouTube videos... bedroom "flop" scene hilarious 

Drop the dead donkey 

Only Fools and Horses... stolen satellite dish from Heathrow episode was a killer for me

Honourable mention in recent times for The Bridge, as best crime drama ever.

I remember the old Grange Hill intro and how shocked and dismayed I felt when they changed it. That's literally the only thing I remember about it though.

It's a bit of a stretch to describe the 80s and 90s, a time when Noel Edmonds was a fixture of Saturday night TV, as a golden age, but it was certainly a golden age for cartoons. I loved Jimbo, Danger Mouse, Raggy Dolls and Inspector Gadget (Danger Mouse stands up to scrutiny, but on rewatching I was surprised by how dull Inspector Gadget was). My favourite, though, was Bananaman. My bedroom was a shrine dedicated to him. I know this off by heart:

I also watched Hartbeat (remember Morph?), but my sister preferred Art Attack on the other side (people don't seem to say "on the other side" any more, mainly because there are about 700 other sides now).

A shout out to Neigbours and Home and Away too, I watched them religiously throughout my teenage years.

I loved Bananaman, just the silliness of it all - great stuff!

I also grew up watching Home & Away and Neighbours, its funny how they rotate between going stale and boring. Not a fan of their modern 'American' camera work and acting, it doesn't seem very Australian these days but that's more H&H. Neighbours the last time I watched it was enjoyable. @GrannyPie loves her soaps, and I used to enjoy catching it with her (when she would pack in working for break).

Transformers was my favourite cartoon as a kid.

Something else which they can remake the greatness of, there's a couple modern versions quite close but still it doesn't have that special something.

On 13/10/2016 at 22:44, Fozzy said:

Oh yes, Tiswas was amazing! Another great kids programme was Danger Mouse and I also forgot The Goodies! As for American TV, I used to love Magnum PI, Dukes of Hazard and The Rockford Files. 

You see @notts-joeI could go on all night! TV was brilliant back then before it became cheapened with fly on the wall documentaries and reality TV, although I will add that in the last couple of years there has been some very good drama on the BBC and ITV.

Great dress sense by Trevor East:super::sheep::thumbsup:                                                      

How about Auf Wiedersehen pet.

2 hours ago, ivansneck said:

The Beiderbecke Affair

Starring James Bolam,which reminds me of ' When the boat comes in' and ,of course,'The likely lads'.All brilliant.

9 hours ago, super_ram said:

Starring James Bolam,which reminds me of ' When the boat comes in' and ,of course,'The likely lads'.All brilliant.

Also in "Only when I laugh", alongside Peter Bowles and Richard Wilson, which I loved.

Other classic sitcoms that I used to watch are:

Rising Damp, Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (brilliant sitcom), The Good Life, Porridge, Hi-De-Hi.

The list groweth forever larger!

1 hour ago, notts-joe said:

Father Ted, god that was seriously funny! See what I did there? Okay, okay... Jesus calm down.

OK, one last time. These cows are small… but the ones out there are far away. Small…... far away…....

Archived