Football computer games

I suspect most of us will have played quite a lot of football on our Super Nintendos, Mega Drives or PlayStations as we were growing up. What were your favourite football games?

I had two football games for the Sega Mega Drive - Super Kick-Off 2 (an insanely fun but totally unreaslistic game viewed from above) and the original FIFA Soccer '95. Both promoted hoofball - on FIFA there was a spot on the pitch just inside the opposition's half you could always score from, but its reproduction of the atmopshere was ahead of its time. Olympic Soccer on the Saturn had headache-inducing graphics and an "interesting" difficulty curve, but I loved it.

In more recent years it's been Football Manager 2005 (OK, not that recent) and Pro-Evolution Soccer for the Wii, which is easily the best of the bunch thanks to the ability to play with the pointer.

Supporter+

Road To The World Cup - FIFA 98. It had every single international team for the first and last time ever. My best achievement was winning the WC with Jamaica. Beat France on the golden goal rule. Ah the memories.....

I miss the classic games such as Premier Manager, LMA Manager and of course the best in my opinion ever to be made 'Ultimate Soccer Manager'. One day I hope to purchase a Windows 98 machine, which of comes will support many of the older games such as PM 98 and USM 2000. Also became addicted to Total Club Manager which later became FIFA Manager (which is where the series went downhill but the inner linking to FIFA's match engine was a touch of class).

Championship Manager (classic version) and Football Manager are games I enjoy.

Right now like @Who r ya?? You Pies!! I have switched back to FIFA from PES, however I would still argue that PES is more realistic and authentic to how real life football is played out. FIFA 16 really did a great job recreating it, combined with the game-play and the fact they have real names/teams etc it just edges it. If PES could actually gain real names etc, I think it would compete more closely.

I've never been that fussed about names to be honest. Part of the fun of it for me is picking an obscure team and taking on the giants. So I don't know who plays for them anyway.

Same thing with Football Manager. Every team's squads might be all up-to-date when you start playing, but after a season or two in the game half the players have joined new clubs and most of the managers have been sacked. So it's all jumbled up anyway.

Good grief, I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned Sensible World of Soccer! The best football game ever without a shadow of a doubt, with nice cartoony graphics and non of this realism rubbish that FIFA and PES brings! I remember selecting to play as Cambridge United and having Dion Dublin up front with 10 other players all called "Long Ball Larry" and taking players out with massive sliding tackles was expected. 

Other than that, Dino Dini's Kick Off 2 on the Amiga was frantic, but really rewarding once mastered as the goalies were nearly impossible to beat and there was even a management version based on the game.

We had proper games in the 80s and 90s, non of this storyline rubbish, just go out and shoot, drive, dodge and jump over everything games. Them were the days.

Archived