My Xmas gift to PON - a brussel sprout recipe.....

..... for people who don't like brussel sprouts.  I'll be honest, I'm a sprout lover, I could eat a plate full of them with gravy.  My 3 kids however were like most kids - they were tempted to phone Childline if one appeared on their plate!  They will all be round for Christmas dinner on the 25th, and one of them actually said "make sure you do those brussel sprouts again", so here is my recipe for caramelised brussel sprouts:

Cut the sprouts in half, boil them in lightly salted water for 5 minutes, then drain thoroughly.

Take a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a knob of butter, a tablespoon of honey, a teaspoon of brown sugar, two rashers of bacon cut into small cubes, add black pepper to season.  

Lightly cook the above, then add the sprouts stirring regularly so they absorb the juice, and cook for 10 minutes.

A bit more effort than simply boiling them, but well worth it.

Happy Christmas to all.

This is probably going to sound quite weird.

I'm not that big on certain veg, in fact it's only this past year or so that I have actually enjoyed eating peas. Before it was mostly carrots, sweetcorn, potato. Brussels have always been something I have found to be disgusting, the taste and texture is just foul. Partly my dad is to blame *cough *cough @super_ram but also having worked in hospitality - where most Christmas staff were made to sample the food produced (a real nightmare for me). I'm happy to sample cheese, even that I know I don't like I will try but certain veg... Yuck!

However, I was at ASDA in Radford with @cheeky~k8 and we decided to have a Christmas dinner (I believe this was before December). :rolleyes:

Brussels was the only veg on the plate! I found it to be very disappointing and Kate joked about me not having much. I decided to eat every last bit on the plate, including the stuffing which wasn't very appealing but you know what? I learned that I like Brussels that are cooked well. ;)

Happy Christmas everyone :)

Archived