Mansfield Reserves V Notts youth

Piethagoram

http://mobile.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/2016-17/under-21s-report-stags-2-1-notts-county-3524830.aspx

http://mobile.nottscountyfc.co.uk//news/article/2016-17/reserve-game-rearranged-3516703.aspx

What begun as a mismatch as men v boys, Notts can take credit that they nearly drew the game, which would have deserved.

Stand out players were Wildin and Dominic Brown Hill. If there is a problem with our youth team, it is the lack of physicality in the side, which was exposed by Romulus in the FA Youth Cup.

Noticed complaints and comments about the venue of the game, some fans didn't understand why it was played at the location it did but I also noticed comments about how we came back/played quite well.

Hopefully we will revert back to the reserve/development system so that good youths can be fast tracked better.

COYP

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

@notts-joe We cannot complain about location, reserve matches had been played in the past at Arnold Town, on a pitch similar to Rainworth's

A heavier slightly bumpy pitch, not conducive to free flowing football.

I feel the exact same way, I do understand concerns but its done to be cost effective and to allow the players to get used to playing on a proper football pitch/in front of people. Rather like somewhere like Highfields (which is like a training ground).

Part of the reasons players struggle is down to the fact they go missing in front of large crowds, struggle to focus or adapt to the professional game.

For these reasons I would accept any venue that beat a training ground, as it's important and I'm sure its arranged at the best possible location.

After today's defensive shambles at Grimsby, Luther has got to be tried at right back, which will mean recalling from his loan at Grantham.

The biggest problem for our youth team graduates, they still need 2 years to be battle hardened and gain some physicality. How many youth players are released after just 1 year as pro?

Osborne should some good signs today but Montel offered no sign of "class".

Youth team may play at Chesterfield on Tuesday but I can't make that one.

4 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

The biggest problem for our youth team graduates, they still need 2 years to be battle hardened and gain some physicality. How many youth players are released after just 1 year as pro?

Its the case at most clubs, even in the top leagues.

The question is how do we get them the experience and game time they need? I am all for seeing them go out on loan but I feel the Non League offers little and until we step out of this division youths will always be limited.

Archived