Do you like flying?

Do you like flying? I thought PON could do with some more discussions being started, so I hope other members will amuse me with their opinions.

I was just listening to the radio and this was being discussed. Supposedly its very common for people who fear heights to not mind flying, I myself dislike heights, but I do not mind flying. I would like to do some more travelling and anyone who has visited America from the UK will know just how long the flight can be.

Out of interest what airports have you used and what nations have you visited?

I don't enjoy flying, but that's because of all the queuing beforehand and because it's so uncomfortable rather than any fear.  I'm 6'2" tall so don't fit into Ryanair seats very easily, but flights are so cheap nowadays it's worth putting up with.  For example, I've just booked flights to the Algarve for £19.99 each way, which make for a very cheap holiday somewhere warm.  

7 minutes ago, magpiejue said:

i love flying not so bothered about landing, flew to Dublin, The Netherlands and mostly Spain. 

The Dublin flight is great, the seat belt lights come on for take off, then they go off for 15 minutes, then come on again for landing!!!  I do mainly short haul flights to Spain, Portugal etc, which at 2 - 2 1/2 hours are just about bearable, but 5 hours to such as Egypt is a bit of a pain.  I was really keen on Tunisia until the beach massacre, it seemed unreal that you could be in Africa in under 3 hours.  I've done the 9 hour flight to the Caribbean a couple of times, the extra comfort of long haul makes it a bit more bearable, but I just can't sleep on a plane so the night return wasn't much fun.  Has anyone flown on the Dreamliner, I've always fancied giving that a go?

@AmericanPie Rule#1, when flying to America, always try to fly with a European airline. Just find the level of service much better than American based airlines. A few years ago, had to commute to Montreal regularly via Amsterdam as the 1st class fare was half of what BA were charging. Always prefer entering US via the smaller airports, like Baltimore or Philly. If New York bound, always go to Newark and get the train to Penn.

Best airline was LAM Chile, now merged into LATAM. Generous helpings of whiskey and brandy in Economy, based on glugs rather than miniatures. Tam the Brazilian airline also good for food and drinks in economy.

Turkish Airlines are good as food quality in Economy, one gets a decent meal. Also can have the advantage of a day in Istanbul if you have to change planes.

For budget travel, Norwegian Airlines are the best in terms of quality of planes and service. Wizzair too for Eastern Europe. 

Worst airports..Miami for having to go through immigration even if you are changing to another international flight. Sao Paulo, an introduction to the complete chaos of Brazil.

Worst airlines.. Ryanair...Lost baggage at Dublin and they didn't care. China Eastern, for the most inedible food. Should have asked for thr vegetarian option!

Just as an aside, have to mention Quito, Ecuador, not so much for the airport but for the bus station. Even though you have your bus ticket, you must pay the bus station a fee for going through a turnstile just to get on the bus. Fee amounts to a few pence but for the unwary traveller, easy to get caught out by not having enough small change.

I hate heights, I do have a bit of a problem where I start getting dizzy if bothers me.

For example if there's one very, very, very tall building and no others around it. I get a little cautious and even at ground level I can't look in its direction and I know this is quite weird. I don't fear flying, I actually look ahead to going certain places but I think the height will bother me if I allow my focus to concentrate on that.

I've gone on roller-coasters, ride which shoot you into the sky, gone abseiling and al-sorts.

None of the above really bothered me.

I dislike heights and I hate flying.

I'm OK with heights as long as I feel secure. I've been on top of a skyscraper before, no problem, but if I walk up more than about four steps on a stepladder my head spins. Ferris wheel? Forget it!

Flying is a necessary evil, I do it several times a year. But if there's any turbulence I'm suddenly very, very aware that I'm in a little tin box with jet engines hurtling through the sky. I sweat so much I need a shower afterwards.

I dislike the flying experience in general. Finding the right flights, coordinating everything with my family and booking is often a pain, then there's the anxiety of missing the bus/train to the airport and being herded around like sheep once I'm there. I hate Stansted airport with a passion and will willingly pay a hundred euros more in air fare to avoid it, but the worst I've ever experienced is Chania in Crete, which is only half-built (the other half seems to have been abandoned) and ridiculously overcrowded.

24 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

I hate Stansted airport with a passion and will willingly pay a hundred euros more in air fare to avoid it, but the worst I've ever experienced is Chania in Crete, which is only half-built (the other half seems to have been abandoned) and ridiculously overcrowded.

Talking of overcrowded airports, I remember flying home from Agadir airport in Morocco many years ago.  We went in to a packed departure lounge where loads of people were standing around, and were surprised to spot some empty seats on the far side so made our way over and sat down.  It soon became apparent why the seats were unoccupied -  they were right next to Africa's foulest smelling toilet!  The stench was unbearable, we moved away and spent the next hour laughing at the constant stream of people who rushed over, sat down for 30 seconds and then quickly left!

Oh, and the airports where on your way to the gates you look around and suddenly find yourself in the middle of an overpriced shopping centre complete with people with clipboards asking if I am enjoying my shopping experience. I WANT TO CATCH A FLIGHT - I AM NOT HERE TO BUY OVERPRICED VODKA. And then there are the WHSmiths where passengers have to attempt to scan their purchases in themselves (if the sodding machines ever work) so they could sack half their staff and the Boots branches that ask for your boarding cards so they can claim your tax back off the government. I while back I made up my mind that I would buy NOTHING from an airport and I am sticking to it.

Blood pressure is rising just thinking about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived