Player ratings v Colchester

Elite_pie

Collin 6.5 – no chance with their goal, didn’t have a save of note to make but generally looked assured.
Tootle 7 – defended well, got forward well. The best right back we have on the books.
Hollis 7 – strong in the challenge, didn’t do a lot wrong.
Duffy 7 – see Hollis.
Dickinson 7 – solid throughout. Another player who could be transformed by Nolan?
Campbell 6 – was ok today and can’t fault his effort, but still looks a squad player at best.
Milsom 7 – the hardworking, influential performance that is becoming the norm.
Hewitt 6.5 – did a good job in the O’Connor role, another who looks better under Nolan.
Grant 7 – could have done better with a couple of decent chances, but this bloke has a touch of class.
Stead 7 – some great link up play, shame his one good finish was ruled out for offside.
Ameobi 8* - I must admit that when we signed him I was concerned he was just another former big name coming for a final pay cheque, but he soon put my mind at rest. It’s obvious that he has played at a higher level as some of his touches are pure class, but he really works for the team and produced two excellent finishes. Stead is a better player with him alongside, I hope we can keep him next season.

Subs - none on long enough to merit a rating, but a good move to give Howes a taste of the big time.

Nolan 10 – the transformation since he arrived has been nothing short of incredible. We now play with passion, which is all I really demanded. He has made Meadow Lane a happy place to be rather than somewhere to visit out of a sense of loyalty. The only worry is that he is doing a bit too well, and other clubs will be taking note!

think dickinson, campbell and hewitt should be rated differently but the rest i do agree with.

I'm with @Elite except for the following players.

Dickinson 6 – I've given a 6 rather than Elite's 7 as I felt he could do more going forward. He sems reluctant to sprint forward with the ball when there is space ahead of him. This gives the opposition time to close him down in our half rather than theirs.
Campbell 5.5 - made up of 4 when on the ball and 7 when off the ball.
Hewitt 6.5 – did a good job in the O’Connor role, another who looks better under Nolan. It's also very useful to have a long throw merchant with Ameobi in the team.

I'd give Dickinson 5.5 - He was mostly out of position, although in a CB role and although he got stuck in. His offering was practical and frequently looked like he was awkward, possibly a sign by how easily he ended up being beaten for the ball by Colchester players.

Campbell 3 - The game flew him by, he never looked to get involved and he just seemed like a causal player on the pitch.

Hewitt 6 - He didn't do much wrong at all, I felt his performance was acceptable but again he didn't stand out for much. That isn't a negative, just that we had more superior performers on the pitch and someone like Elliot would naturally go missing a bit. He was there when mattered!

Archived